• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improved Evasion + Bomb =

Vespucci

First Post
The "can't dodge dragon breath while it's chewing on you" scenario feels familiar. I thought it was a holdover from 2e, but there's no mention of that in the Monstrous Manual.

Croesus

Adventurer
Being in the jaws of a dragon is like being grappled, correct?

My assumption is that's what Jackinthegreen was suggesting. However, I could see a situation where a character has leapt into the (really big) dragon's mouth, say to throw a dangerous potion down its throat or some such. In that case, I might rule he's not really grappled until the dragon can react by biting or grappling. A lot depends on just how big the mouth is.

I wouldn't allow something like that all the time, but as a one-off, it could be cool. :)

Croesus

Adventurer
The "can't dodge dragon breath while it's chewing on you" scenario feels familiar. I thought it was a holdover from 2e, but there's no mention of that in the Monstrous Manual.

I agree it sounds familiar. Perhaps something in The Dragon, or a comment by EGG. I certainly remember having GM's rule some situations did not allow saves (such as when my 1E thief was caught in a magical cage of some sort just when several fireball beads exploded. Can you say "grease spot"?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
It's not specifically stated in the SRD that a character 'in the jaws of a dragon' cannot make a Reflex, but the following is stated under Special Abilities, Evasion and Improved Evasion:

"As with a Reflex save for any creature, a character must have room to move in order to evade. A bound character or one squeezing through an area cannot use evasion.
As with a Reflex save for any creature, evasion is a reflexive ability. The character need not know that the attack is coming to use evasion."

Seems to me the above qualifies as being in the jaws of a dragon. YMMV
Don't get me wrong, I'd not argue with a DM if she or he made this ruling, assuming one was somehow pinned within the jaws (like a grapple). I just wanted to know if it was a rule.
Because a REALLY dramatic leap out of dragon's mouth right before it exhaled would be Epically Awesome. Especially after placing some sort of flask or oil or something inside.

Dandu

First Post
Being [Paralyzed] or [Helpless] would definitely deny your a reflex save, but the [Grappled] condition is less clear.

I bring links to what the rules say for the whole breath thing.

To quote Dragon, True :: d20srd.org and Monster Feats :: d20srd.org

Bite

Bite attacks deal the indicated damage plus the dragon’s Strength bonus. A dragon also can use its bite to snatch opponents if it has the Snatch feat.

Snatch [General]

Prerequisite

Size Huge or larger.
Benefits

The creature can choose to start a grapple when it hits with a claw or bite attack, as though it had the improved grab special attack. If the creature gets a hold on a creature three or more sizes smaller, it squeezes each round for automatic bite or claw damage. A snatched opponent held in the creature’s mouth is not allowed a Reflex save against the creature’s breath weapon, if it has one.

Last edited:

Remove ads