D&D 5E Improving Two-Weapon Fighting

Might have originally posted this in the wrong thread. I'll put it here as well for the sake of completeness:

Personally, I would go with basic Two-weapon fighting being:
When wielding two weapons and the weapon in your off-hand is Light, if an attack misses, you may make an attack with your off-hand weapon as a bonus action. Your main-hand weapon is considered to be the one making the majority of attacks that round.

The Two-weapon fighting Style would give: When two-weapon Fighting, your off-hand weapon does not have to be a Light weapon. Additionally when you use your bonus action to make an off-hand attack after your attack misses, you may make an off-hand attack every time your main hand attack misses until the beginning of your next turn.

The Two-weapon feat would give: When taking the attack action while wielding two weapons, you may make one additional attack with your off-hand weapon.
When wielding two weapons, you gain +1 to AC.

Mr. Spade

Villager
Since the most silly thing about twf is assuming it being faster than single weapon fighting (IRL it is the opposite since you would have to change stances, try it out yourself, put yourself in an imaginary pose)
I am strongly against further powering its use. I normally houserule TWF can only be done with rapier dagger or maybe any combination of one or two daggers with shortswords

The only realistic approach is to allow a "two weapons at the same time but two attack rolls" attack, so that maybe justifies the additional attack.

Other than that, historically two weapon fighting was only done with rapier dagger, whereas the daggers main purpose was parrying, maybe get a lucky shot out of a weird position where the dagger is closer to the target than the rapier (which it normally never is)

Fighting with two longer weapons was mostly done as a show off with more disadvantages for real combat than advantage, as said before you would have to change your foot stance each time you alternate to hit and the weapons would get in the way of each other making this style further useless.
Coroc, I do agree that the style irl is better suited to 2 light weapons or a light/medium. I have addressed the stances, you're either using your secondary weapon to augment your offense or defense, this is not a choice you get to make whenever, but only at the beginning of your attack action.
I have trained in two weapon fighting, I have found that as your awareness and mobility improves an offhand weapon's ability to deflect blows can become comparable or better than a shield, but requires a focus that limits your attack options.

Again this is a relatively simple change that if implemented would not require a great deal of adjustments.

If we are discussing real life, how many people do you know that could swing a maul, with any real effect, 4-8 (action surge) times in 6 seconds? So with that in mind if Timmy's female halfling barbarian wants to dual wield her battle axe/warhammer combo than let the little lady rage on, you know within reason. Lol

Coroc

Hero
.... So with that in mind if Timmy's female halfling barbarian wants to dual wield her battle axe/warhammer combo than let the little lady rage on, you know within reason. Lol

You mean if the battle axe and warhammer who mysteriously are attached to a Halfling and drag it behind while mysteriously moving around on their own decide to rage the Halfling around then let the dwarf eh, Halfling throwing happen :p

Remove ads