• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E In 4e combat, is an ooze as tall as a human?

In 4e Combat, is an Ochre Jelly as tall as a human? (see post below fro situation)

Nail

First Post
Last night our party was attacked by 2 Ochre Jellies and 4 Shadowhunter Bats. During combat, my fighter pushed an ooze behind a bat that was next to me, then I shifted further away from the 'bat and ooze.

I said, "Now the ooze is closer to the bat than to me. It will attack the bat!"

The DM said, "The ooze isn't tall enough to reach the bat that just attacked you."

I disagreed. :) If I can attack the bat (which I had just done), then the orche jelly could attack the bat (it is size large).

BTW: Next time?

....I'm pushing the bat diagonally down toward the ooze.

:D

DrSpunj

Explorer
BTW: Next time?

....I'm pushing the bat diagonally down toward the ooze.

I immediately got this mental picture of Nail swinging his shield over his head with both hands at the bat, just like a WWF wrestler with a steel folding chair.

WUMP!

Infiniti2000

First Post
Without RAW to guide us further consider the following similar situation:

The party wants to cut a reinforced rope stretched parallel to the floor, 10.01 feet up. ;) Perhaps doing so drops a portcullis or takes the main support out of a bridge nearby to block Nasty Things from getting to them or invading their country or something. The party Fighter is the only one who's present, but he could be a Dragonborn, a Dwarf, or a Halfling, each of which of average height for their races (6'6", 4'6" & 4'0" respectively).
This is a strawman scenario because you have the exact same problem in the XY plane and are not complaining about it or proposing a solution therein. My point was simply that since we abstract in the XY plane, we must abstract in the XZ and YZ planes. I'm okay with rounding, but using actuals in one direction and not the other simply doesn't work.

Remove ads