D&D General "In My General Experience Playing D&D, DMs Care More About Setting Lore Than Players Do" (a poll)

"In My General Experience Playing D&D, DMs Care More About Setting Lore Than Players"

• True.

Votes: 123 84.2%
  • False.

Votes: 23 15.8%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Here is another poll bound to dissatisfy some folks because it is asking about a feeling or general sense based on experience rather than any actually quantifiable data. . . my favorite!

True or False: "In My General Experience Playing D&D, DMs Care More About Setting Lore Than Players Do"

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I would say that DMs care more in general because they have to in some sense, but for my part, I don't actually care about setting lore unless it's an actual published setting in which case I will try to cleave to the canon as much as possible. I just think that's part of what you're signing up for when you explore a published setting. When I'm not running in a published setting though, nothing is set in stone except which was already established before or during play. Over time, the details build upon themselves to create the world.

Retreater

Legend
Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, this is disturbing that so many DMs seem to focus on "their" world than the other participants of the game. These are DMs who should be writing fantasy novels or scripting TV shows and have missed the most important part of the hobby - that it's a social experience with friends.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, this is disturbing that so many DMs seem to focus on "their" world than the other participants of the game. These are DMs who should be writing fantasy novels or scripting TV shows and have missed the most important part of the hobby - that it's a social experience with friends.
I think you are misunderstanding the question. DMs are the ones who would buy books with setting details, but no player-facing mechanics. DMs are the ones who buy GURPS books, or research obscure topics like medieval beekeeping because they want to present it authentically.

Players tend to show up, say "that's cool" and say things like "what was that name of the king that we have lived under for the past 30 years that we talked to yesterday?"

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
In my experience players other than novelists really only care about the setting as far as they need to on order to get something from it.... Of course they care much more/less depending on how much room the system grants the gm to fill with things for the players to want for their pcs. The gm needs to use the setting both as a structural framework to hand the world around the players and as a thingto aid them in adventure & story support.

Novelists who are a gm rarely have players willing to return as long as they expect to remain novelists making them something of a self excluding group of gns. Novelist players who roll in with a bsckstory pre-written in isolation pretty much never care about the setting one iota because they tend to bring a toxic expectation that it will conform exactly as they wrote.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases