• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

In the Names of the Fathers - [d20 Cthulhu]

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Valkys said:
Black Tea and Blacker Souls 12:57
The kid looks up at Xander, surprised. He shakes his head, "Dude, I don't know what you're talking about." He edges towards the door and Xander can tell he's getting ready to run even as he denies his guilt.
[/color]

Xander grinned. "Hey, look kid. I ain't gonna bust ya." He gestures toward the kid's back, where the book is hidden. "Just put the book back and we'll call it even."

What did you pick anyway?" he asked with genuine curiosity.

dscrank

First Post
Shane

[OOC: All this up and down stuff with the boards is making it hard to play. Should we have a back-up?]

Shane gently disengages himself from the girl, handing her off to Cynthia. "I'll be right b-ba... back." Richard's words are worrisome, but the lead weight in his stomach has lightened a little. From the girls' reaction, he had begun to think that the Hadleys' bodies were in the house, but the policeman's words suggest something different. Something disturbing, but not hopeless. "I'll take a loo...k."

[Before Shane reacts, you should describe what he sees at the scene. Also, knowledge checks for anything that looks odd would be good.]

Valkys

First Post

Xander's Shop
The kid looks genuinely surprised when Xander says he isn't going to bust him and he slowly pulls a standard paperback from the back of his pants. He hands it to Xander. The book is The Witches' Bible by Janet and Stewart Farrar.

"I heard it was somethin' to look into. Thought I might. Just because."

The Hadleys'
Shane follows Richard into the house. Nothing seems to be wrong anywhere in the house. In the bedroom, it is a different story, making it seem all the more horrible. The bed has been torn apart, mattress and all. The sheets and curtains are charred, as is the carpet. In addition, the entire room smells of bile, and in various places around the room, in a vaguely circular pattern, there are heaps of solidified vomit. Most of the rest of the furniture is overturned, though mostly intact, save some scorch-marks. The east window(the direction you are now facing) has a pair of scorched palm prints that appear to drag along the surface to the floor. The glass has also melted somewhat, leaving the impressions of someone's hands clawing at the pane.

Richard stares into the room, "You can look, but the scene will have to stay as clean as possible for the forensics team. What do you think? Who am I supposed to call?"

Shane notices one thing that everyone else has missed. Burned into the ceiling, above the remains of the bed, a single word has been inscribed, "DAGON". Shane recognizes the name as having some sort of religious* connotations, but can't recall anything more specific.

OOC: *you failed the occult roll, but succeeded on the religion roll, but not by enough to get specific knowledge. Everything else is currently outside your experience

dscrank

First Post
[OOC: For a moment I thought Dagon might be Babylonian (in which case Shane should really know more), but he was actually worshipped by the Philistines.]

Shane gags on the stench of the room, and feeling his bile start to rise, he retreats a few steps. He looks at Richard. "I'm not sure who to call. You'll want f-f...orensics, of course, but... Do you see the name "D-D-Dagon" on the ceiling? It's the name of something religious. I for-for...get which religion." Steeling himself, Shane prepares to re-enter the room. "I wa-want to take a closer look. I know how to be c-ca-care...c-care... how to keep it clean: I'm an Archaeologist, remem-mem...ber ?"

Breathing through his mouth, Shane enters the room and searches it, but the sheer disgust of it prevents him from doing too thorough of a job. [No take 20 here]

Being held is chicken soup for the soul. After crying for so long Sharrel finally runs out of tears. Drying her eyes she sits up, just staring off into space.

Was it real? Maybe it was just a dream, or an illusion? No it was real, and they probably are gone. Maybe... maybe they're ok and they weren't really here. That cop is here, He will know what to do. I'll just wait here for him.

Valkys

First Post

The Hadleys'
Richard starts to say something, but Shane enters the room before he can really object. He sighs. "Well, even if they can make something of it, there goes some of the court value." While Shane examines the room, Richard turns on the radio at his belt and speaks into a microphone on his shoulder, "Dispatch, this is Officer Richard Meeks. I need a Boston PD Forensics unit at..." he pulls a notepad out of his pocket, "1422 Marigold Drive. Another unit wouldn't hurt either. There's been a... Dispatch, I don't know what to call it, really." He wonders off down the hall, and his conversation fades to a low murmur interspersed with radio static and the dispatcher's muffled voice.

Shane walks where he can stand to walk. On closer inspection, the window looks like someone was trying to hold onto the glass and it somehow melted in their hands, just not enough to get a good grip. You note that the handprints are too large to have been made by Mrs. Hadley. A couple of the vomit heaps have footprints, but none of them are distinct. It's been too long since they were made and the vomit had time to flow and erase the details before it congealed. You fail to find anything else distinctive, however.

OOC: You failed a fortitude save vs. the smell. You puke.

Richard walks back, "They're on their way. We'd better meet them out front if we can. Come on." He waits for Shane to precede him out of the room, and then the house.

The Backyard
Cynthia takes note that Sharrel has stopped crying, "Are you going to be okay? I know it was awful, but I'm sure that the Hadleys are all right. They have to be."

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Valkys said:

Xander's Shop
The kid looks genuinely surprised when Xander says he isn't going to bust him and he slowly pulls a standard paperback from the back of his pants. He hands it to Xander. The book is The Witches' Bible by Janet and Stewart Farrar.

"I heard it was somethin' to look into. Thought I might. Just because."

Xander took a quick look at the book. "Thats a little advanced for people who are interested "Just because"". He held his hand out for the book and with the other, reached for Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. He offered it to the boy.

"Here try this. It's aimed more for beginners. It should help you decide whether this is something your really interested in or not."

"Tell you what. The book usually runs about $10. It's yours for $7.50 if you promise to actually pay for the other books you get here." he said with a slight grin.

[OOC: Found it - The Witches' Bible : The Complete Witches Handbook]

Last edited:

dscrank

First Post
Wiping his hand across his mouth, Shane leaves the room. "I'm s-sorry about the vomiting. I hope I did-didn... I hope I did not hurt the evidence." Once out back, he's relieved to see that the girl has stopped crying. He places a hand on her shoulder and asks, "Are you al-al...right? My na-name is Dr. McDonald, by the way. I'm a frien...d of the Hadleys."

Hers eyes red and puffy from crying Sharrel nods at Cynthia.

"You must be right, they are fine, I am sure of it. I'm sorry about this Cynthia, usually I am much more together then this. Its just... I promise I will be better. Do you think they need help inside?" she asks going a touch paler.

I wish mittens were here, shes a good cuddler, and she always makes me feel better.

As the Man who held her earlier approaches she looks up and gives him a weak smile, weak for her, for anyone else drop dead gorgeous. "I am sorry about that, I am one of Professor Hadleys Advisees, Sharrel, Sharrel Blake."

Last edited:

dscrank

First Post
Shane shakes her hand. "I'm g-glad to meet someone who cared enough about the Had-Had... the Hadleys to check on them. Did you see an-an-any...thing when you first arrived? Besides the b-bedroo...m, that is."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads