D&D 5E In your Years of Gaming, How many Psionic Characters did you See played

When I play/run D&D in any edition, I see psionic characters

• All the time. At least one per group.

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Pretty frequently. It wasn't rare in our games.

Votes: 42 17.3%
  • Not much and certainly less common than PHB classes.

Votes: 62 25.5%
  • Almost never.

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Nope. Didn't use psionics at all in my D&D.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • Lemony curry goodness.

Votes: 6 2.5%

cmad1977

Hero
It is interesting that even in the microcosm that is EN World that less than 20% of respondents (small sample size still I know) use/play with psionics or have done, with any frequency.

If this community bears out Crawford's words, then it has to be true of the broader community. Probably also supported by their own past sales data.

It’s probably MORE true of the broader community.

Truth. The one player running a Battlemind literally did have a table he wrote out for one of his abilities. I strongly suspect he got it wrong, though, and was stacking stuff he shouldn't have been, because that character was so broken. :(

Problem being psions has always been a problem.
4E Excel Spreadsheet. The Class.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If this community bears out Crawford's words, then it has to be true of the broader community.

Technically, from a statistical standpoint, not at all. Heck, this thread isn't even a good sampling of EN World, much less is EN World a representative sampling of the broad RPG community.

This is not to say that psionics are/were common, just that this thread really won't tell us that.

And, even if it is rare... EN World's own Kevin Kulp wrote "Of Sound Mind", back in the 3e days, and that was pretty well received. It isn't like nobody buys this stuff.

The question may be more whether it is a thing that WotC will do, or if it will get left to third party folks.

Vael

Legend
Most of my experience is 4e. And, once they came out, I saw and even played a few Psionic characters. In the Dark Sun campaign, I played a Thri-Kreen Battlemind. They were just another suite of classes that may or may not be used.

Well honestly it seems that wotc is content to let the dmsguild cover this sort of thing.

I mean I haven’t looked but surely someone has done a psionics book for 5e.
WotC does have some "digital only" stuff on D&D beyond: The three Essentials Kit adventures, Tortles etc.

The "official" stamp makes it more appealing.

Remove ads