• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Index of Insightful Posts/Threads

Elric

First Post
Hi all,
Please link to any posts/threads related to 4e (or just gaming in general in a way that would apply to 4e) that you find particularly insightful, along with a short explanation of what the post says and context if that would help understanding. I will keep this post updated with the contributions. Note that a good way to find this post regularly is to favorite it. Enlighten me!

keterys: sanity checking monster damages. He goes through MM1 and calculates damage dealt by monsters using reasonable assumptions about how long they'll live, how many PCs they'll catch in areas, etc.

Elric: the limits of infinite expected damage. Expected damage being infinite is no sign of an all-powerful build. The fact that at the time a build could get an infinite expected damage had been (sarcastically) brought up as a reason why even a feat that gave +100 damage wouldn't do a lot.

Stalker0's Obsidian Skill Challenge System v1.2 and Stalker0's Guide to Anti-Grind. The former is a very well designed alternative skill challenge (houserule) system for 4E, while the latter post is a handy guide to avoiding "grind" when designing encounters for 4E.

eamon on attributes and optimization: for many characters, taking a very high primary attribute is an easy path to effectiveness; by comparison, getting the most out of secondary/tertiary stats requires more game knowledge/planning.

eamon on why rolled stats are typically inferior; it's because Primary attributes are so valuable!

Truename: Monte Carlo versus Monster Manual 3- a simulation of a Dwarf fighter over the course of a day against a variety of opponents, at different levels. Very interesting stuff. That thread references the original version, which was done against Monster Manual 1's guidelines.

Piratecat: have your players design an encounter for you.

eamon on use and abuse of readied actions.

lostsoul on ways to reduce prep time and allow the players freedom in their actions.

CapnZapp on why it's simpler and more balanced to have multiple copies of otherwise identical (save ends) effects require separate saves (rather than subsuming identical effects into a single save). The discussions starts with this post, but a later follow up post explains it best.

A graph of the chance to succeed on skill challenges of different types as a function of your chance to succeed (assumed constant) across each check of the skill challenge. A method to calculate those numbers.

Flatus Maximus: If you roll a dN (N-sided die) n times and let X be the max of the n rolls, here's a formula for the average. I provide an approximation to that formula that makes for easier calculations.

eamon on the rules updates you should incorporate into play. Contains a very good summary of some of the better changes.

eamon's Simpler Treasure System with (mostly) Random Loot. Briefly: 1. The DM randomizes (most) loot. 2. Items are sold at half price, instead of at 20% of list price. 3. All treasure parcels containing magic items are raised by one level.

The basic math of 4e PC advancement relative to monsters.

When Avengers (or other characters who can roll twice for attacks and use the better roll) gain more or less than typical characters from increasing their attack bonus.

Stalker0: the 15-minute workday- a discussion of game design.

mkill: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-dis...ew-stat-pairs-elf-eladrin-dwarf-halfling.html

LostSoul: http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...r-vale-emergent-features-keep-shadowfell.html. jbear: It is full of loads of really cool ideas about using powers as part of skill rolls/challenges and improvised PC actions and how to set DCs using the monster's defenses relevant to the action that is affecting it. Also to see how he improvised to bring KotS to life was really invaluable.

RangerWickett's Campaigns in a nutshell. Adventures in a Sentence

mshea: Monster damage chart- a new DM crib sheet that contains the new DCs, defenses, attacks, and other standard math expressions onto a single 5x8 printable page.

kiznit: D&D combat crib sheet- a one page sheet with the basics of combat.

Truename: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-discussion/294059-essentials-treasure-parcels-analyzed.html

Does the math on the new treasure parcel system, and discovers it is pretty much identical to the old one. Nice discussion of how the high number of dice rolls (40 per level) will limit variation.

Last edited:

I'm torn between Stalker0's Obsidian Skill Challenge System v1.2 and Stalker0's Guide to Anti-Grind. The former is a very well designed alternative skill challenge (houserule) system for 4E, while the latter post is a handy guide to avoiding "grind" when designing encounters for 4E.

Actually, I'm torn between pretty much everything Stalker0 has ever posted on these boards. I <3 his intellectual contributions to the D&D community.

Last edited:

Elric

First Post
I'm torn between Stalker0's Obsidian Skill Challenge System v1.2 and Stalker0's Guide to Anti-Grind.

Actually, I'm torn between pretty much everything Stalker0 has ever posted on these boards. I <3 his intellectual contributions to the D&D community.

Right- this thread doesn't have to only be about self-promotion, and posts in other forums related to 4e seem fine too. I'd just like to avoid posts about 3e or other games where people might not know/remember what's being talked about. I'll edit the original post accordingly.

Right- this thread doesn't have to only be about self-promotion, and posts in other forums related to 4e seem fine too. I'd just like to avoid posts about 3e or other games where people might not know/remember what's being talked about. I'll edit the original post accordingly.
...Did I do wrong? The threads I posted are both by someone other than myself, so it's not "self-promotion". Also, lest you think I'm trying to give undue attention to the poster of those threads, you should know that those are the real thread titles, Stalker0's username included.

I guess I should go back and add descriptions, mind you.

Elric

First Post
...Did I do wrong? The threads I posted are both by someone other than myself, so it's not "self-promotion". Also, lest you think I'm trying to give undue attention to the poster of those threads, you should know that those are the real thread titles, Stalker0's username included.

I guess I should go back and add descriptions, mind you.

You did fine. Initially, I had suggested just self-promotion, but your post made me realize that promoting other people's work is fine too (and so is promoting more than one post). So I changed the initial post accordingly.

For posters, I'd say most everything by eamon and keterys. I added a thread by keterys on monster damages to my original post.

Here's a post by eamon within the last day on attributes and optimization, where he points out that for many characters, taking a very high primary attribute is an easy path to effectiveness, while by comparison getting the most out of secondary/tertiary stats requires more game knowledge/planning.

Another eamon gem on why rolled stats are typically inferior; it's because Primary attributes are so valuable!

One by Piratecat: have your players design an encounter for you.

Last edited:

eamon

Explorer
CapnZapp wrote a post about why it's simpler and more balanced to have multiple copies of otherwise identical (save ends) effects require separate saves (rather than subsuming identical effects into a single save). The discussions starts with this post, but a later follow up post explains it best.

Elric

First Post
A graph I made of the chance to succeed on skill challenges of different types as a function of your chance to succeed (assumed constant) across each check of the skill challenge.

The method you can use to calculate those numbers.

Flatus Maximus: If you roll a dN (N-sided die) n times and let X be the max of the n rolls, here's a formula for the average.

I provide an approximation to that exact formula that makes for easier calculations.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads