Insight's "The Silent Partner" [1920s] OOC Thread

Walking Dad

First Post
May I use Invisible Castle for the character generation rules? I had a light accident and my home connection is so slow it sometimes messes up the forum dice roller.

Insight

Adventurer
May I use Invisible Castle for the character generation rules? I had a light accident and my home connection is so slow it sometimes messes up the forum dice roller.

If you must. I'd prefer all die rolling be done here, but we can make exceptions when the need arises.

Insight

Adventurer
Tonight, I'll go through the various Occupations listed in the book and post the ones here that I think match your character concept. Shayuri, are you still going for the heiress, or has something else caught your fancy?

I'll probably just post all of them and you can pick which ones seem interesting. I'm not posting Occupations that make zero sense for the game concept (such as Tribe Member or Zealot).

Shayuri

First Post
The stats don't seem right for an heiress. I'd expect more APP, and more money for that.

These stats speak to me of a scholar...a student, perhaps. Relative of a Hollywood bigwig, maybe. Comes to the set after classes to help Uncle Director out. Hmmm...father was also scholarly, we'll say an archaeologist and anthropologist. Disappeared one day on an expedition to South America, as did the other people on the journey. Uncle's now helping to support her and her mother as one woman's salary isn't enough to get her through school.

Moar as I continue thinking.

Insight

Adventurer
The stats don't seem right for an heiress. I'd expect more APP, and more money for that.

These stats speak to me of a scholar...a student, perhaps. Relative of a Hollywood bigwig, maybe. Comes to the set after classes to help Uncle Director out. Hmmm...father was also scholarly, we'll say an archaeologist and anthropologist. Disappeared one day on an expedition to South America, as did the other people on the journey. Uncle's now helping to support her and her mother as one woman's salary isn't enough to get her through school.

Moar as I continue thinking.

Do you want to go with a famous (ie real) director or a made-up name? I'm OK either way.

jackslate45

First Post
I finished re-arranging the stats a little bit. He looks to be a college starter, studying law in order to be a lawyer. However, he was kicked out for getting into a fight (which he won), and instead became a security guard in Hollywood.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Hi! The enworld Lurker here.

Just wanted to say that in '20s america, the WW1 wa still known as 'The great war'.

Also, the Santa Monica Pier was (I think) a great thing with a farris wheel and all. IIFC, the bumper cars I went to with my brother were there before the depression, as was things like the Carasel.

The beaches were PRISTINE and the air clean, as in no smog. Foggy, yes, but not smog. I can see the area of marina park, then not to exist, and the golf course next to it being a scene of Teticularum Makabe.

And for the record, two things. I give my best wishes on the game and its fun and continuance! And as I am guessing you figured out, I use to live in Santa Monica.

Scott-The Lurker Above-DeWar

Insight

Adventurer
Lets go with a fictional director who is based on, and takes the place of, a real director.

It might be fun to do a fictional Alfred Hitchcock. In 1929, Hitchcock was making his 10th film but had not yet made any of his famous Hollywood movies. Your allegorical Hitchcock would be known amongst Hollywood types, but definitely not a household name at this point.

Another possibility would be a fictional John Ford. Like Hitchcock, in 1929, John Ford would become famous later, but had several silent and talkie films to his name. Also like Hitchcock, your fictional Ford would be known to Hollywood types, but would not be a household name.

An interesting possibility would be a fictional F.W. Murnau, director of the classic Nosferatu, a creepy film if ever there was one, especially in this era. Murnau (or your fictional version) would have arrived in Hollywood from Germany, but would have something of a reputation in the industry. I was thinking about using Murnau in this game anyway, so this would work out well for me.

Walking Dad

First Post
Ok, I will try to roll here.

Edit: Wow, this is pretty bad... I don't think I will have fun playing someone that incompetent.
5, 4, 6?

I would play this in a standard CoC game, with a higher character death ratio, but not as a long term character.

Sorry, but I cannot see me having fun with this character. This isn't about power-gaming, just me not having fun playing a total underdog.

Last edited:

Remove ads