(IR) Setting up for the IR

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Important - Please Read

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ

Are any of you familiar with the In Character forum?

On this new board, one goes to the Bits and Pieces Forum, and opens it.
There, you will see a list of Forums. One of them is the In Character Forum.
Then, you just open the In Character Forum, and there you are.

I am creating a new post in that forum.
It concerns the IR, and how I'm going to run it.

- - -

We have some problems:

Problem One:

Let us say there are 20 people involved in the IR.
Each of you posts a mere 10 times.
That's 200 posts.

And everyone knows what it is like to turn on your computer, go to your favorite thread, and be confronted by 200 unread posts.

Problem Two:

The ENBoard system will not handle anything beyond 200 posts safely.
Once the thread reaches 200 posts, I must begin a new thread, and ask the moderator to close the old one.

Problem Three:

As those of you who have posted on previous IRs know, people post QUICKLY in the heat of an IR.
A large number of posts can mount up, at a staggering pace.
Or, as people have said over and over: I go offline for 8 hours, and you maniacs blow up the world.
Or, as some people have said: I go offline for 24 hours, and the whole bloody war is over.

People log on, and they see 50 to 100 new posts, some of them extraordinarily long, and they become overwhelmed.
They do not have the time to read all those posts.

Problem Four:

I get posts like: My country invades that country and conquers it. We then take it's riches, and gain Arcane Magic. Our Arcane Magic goes up. We then summon undead. We then attack the nation beyond the one we just conquered. We use the riches of the conquered nation to attack that nation.
I also get posts like: We summon the Outsiders. With their invincible strength, we are now superpowerful, and we can easily blast through that country or people, and we do so. Uh ... just how powerful are we, by the way?

- - -

This kind of thing drove Reprisal from the IR.
Reprisal was one of the most eloquent people we had, and his loss was like a blow to the chest for me.
Reprisal has very limited time now, and he saw those 200 new posts, and heard his world had been attacked.
He probably could not even find the post where his world was attacked, or figured out what in Gods name had happened.

- - -

Problem Five

In NO WAY do I wish to dampen the euthusiastic spirit of the IR.
I will not try to force people to stop posting.
People are encouraged to post. I want people to post.
Heh, it's great, all those posts about plotting, subterfuge, roleplaying, altruism, alliances, broken alliances, invasions, the Planar Arms race, summoning the undead, how advanced in technology are we, how much Arcane Age magic have we gained, etc.?

And so, I have devised a rough template of rules to cover all five problems above.

It is explained in the new thread over in the In Character section.
Remember how to get there?
Check the top of this post.

Now, it isn't there THIS MOMENT (as of the writing of this post) but it will be there once I am through writing it up and placing it on the board.

It is my effort to make this work. I want this to work.
You guys are obviously readying yourselves for an all-out world war, Greyhawk Style combined with the IR style, and all the chaos and anarchy of the old IRs to boot.

To handle this, I have devised a set of rules to handle it.
I hope it works. It's an experiment.

Edena_of_Neith

Serpenteye

First Post
Reading some of the colours is really straining my eyes. If we write practically everything in colour it will take much longer to read it and people who have been away for half a day might never catch up. To make things easier for Edena we should pick one easily read colour for text adressed to him but do away with all the blues, dark grays and other colours that blend in with the background. Maybe it is only this way on my monitor, but I'm sure at least a few others have the same problem.

William Ronald

Explorer
SerpentEye:

Maybe we could just use the colors sparingly. I think we need to keep a thread open on the general message board to attract people to the thread. (We still need more people.)

Serpenteye

First Post
William Ronald

So we bump two or three times a day. No need to overdo it and burden the server too much. It's already on the limits as is.

Kalanyr

Explorer
Edena- his SN is Festy Dog, he also wants the Grimlocks,Trogolodytes, Kobolds, Aboleth,Cloaker,Delvers.Destrachan,Kuo-tua,Sahanguin & Umber Hulks.

Forgotten One what is your email? since I can't find a post by you at the moment and I can't see the member list.I wish to negotiate (I will surrender the Unseelie if you so desire, otoh I would agree to both of us sharing a faction comprised of both our holdingd)

Zelda Themelin

First Post
Hi people. I try to jump in when IR 'offically' starts, mostly because I missed that 'thread-that-is-no-more-here' and I am trying to sort out what is happening here, it's pretty confusing.

After all, I consider making humble and neutral start, and most people here have been powermongering for some time now. :)

Just how long Oerth has been in contact with forces from Toril? And how common technology is?

Anybody has short version of this history-before history, I mean before Wanderer and things after that.

BTW, about colors. Some work well, but that blue color hurts my eyes. Maybe it's just my monitor.

Last edited:

Remove ads