• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(IRR) The Rokugan IR Turn 0 (OOC Thread)

Lichtenhart

First Post
Everyone can have a look at this: http://laeren.zoggins.net/rpg/l5r/magistrate.htm

What specifically interst us is this:
The position of the Emerald Champion is also filled by a member of the Seven Clans. When the previous Emerald Champion retires or dies a grand tournament is held to select a new Champion. The format is one used for many tournaments in the empire. A series of written and verbal tests weed out those who lack the minimal legal expertise to serve as the chief Magistrate of the Empire. Those who remain then perform a series of iaijutsu duels to determine the individual most fit to serve as the Emperor's hand. This process is presided over by the Emperor. One of the signs of the true power of the Clans over the Emperor rest in the fact that the Emerald Champion retains his names, both family and personal. He serves the Emperor but there is no implication that he is severed from his family or Clan.

Basically the Emerald Champion has to be one of the best warriors and one of the most (if not the most) honorable man in the Empire. The duelists have to hit the mon on the opponent's kimono, without actually hurting the opponent. If blood shreds, the incompetent samurai is judged and can be expelled from the tournament.

Jade test is even more complicated, because it's a test of purity and magical strenght. I need some time to think about it.

Last edited:

Serpenteye

First Post
creamsteak said:
I think I've updated the claims now.

Really? There's still a few missing.

I've claimed, from my 10 lottery PLs , an 2+attack +0 defence defensive uncanny escape character artifact.

--

I'm going to be out of town until wednesday and will not have access to an internet connection. Just thought you should know so that noone will think I'm ignoring them. Please don't postpone the IR because of this ;)

Festy_Dog

First Post
The NPC's that I got haven't been added either. Here they are again if they were missed before:

Moi, ie. Festy Dog, is dropping:

Crab Clan Champion: Hida Kuroda (Male Sam 10) PL 1

and i'd like to pick up:

Kainakata Getsu (Sohei 14/ Honur 3) Male, Human, LG, PL 1
Kainakata Inikata (Ranger 10/ Shadow Scout 4/ Honour 3) Female, Human, LG, PL 1
Isawan Mahatra (Shaman 14/ Honour 2) Male, Human, NG, PL 1
Janu Geitana (Rogue 10/ Ninja Spy 4/ Honour 1) Female, Human, TN, PL 1

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
Evil nit-picker strikes again:
My claims are listed, but the total PL still says 130/130, where it should be 150/150. :)

Also, did my template arrive? (sorry for asking :))

Lichtenhart

First Post
First try at rules for the Emerald Test:

First part: the candidates have to show up their honor, their culture and their preparation in legal matters.
On the roll of 1d6 + their family honor + a roleplaying modifier they have to reach 6 to be admitted at the second part.

Second part (the duels): at the end of the first part, the duels will be scheduled. Same roll as before, this time opposed. You may take a +1 deciding to be very aggressive, but you suffer a 60% chance to be disgraced for harming the opponent. The winner passes the turn.

Role-playing modifier: I'd like this to be decided more on roleplaying than on chance or PL. A rp mod can range from 0 (no post) to 3 (really beautiful post). I can't judge such a thing anyway. I'd like Black Omega to judge, if he can. :)

Gaijin and Shadowlands players: Gaijin and tainted samurai aren't allowed at the tournament. But ronin are. If you come up with a really good story (judged by the same people above) you could be admitted with one hired ronin. Ronin roll their family honor 1,2,3 = honor 1; 4,5 = honor 2; 6 = honor 3.

This is only a preliminary version so feel free to flame me. :)

Oh and the winner gets the armor of the Emerald champion which is surely a neat artifact also in IR terms.

Last edited:

Lichtenhart

First Post
CS, I corrected a few minor tweaks (levels of an npc, alphabetical order, total PL). If you want to C&P my list here it is.

Lichtenhart - 200/200 PL
Player Character
Unicorn Clan Champion: Moto Gaheris (Male Sam 5/Moto Avenge 10) PL 2

Clan Families and Shadowlands Groups
Moto (Berzerker/Moto Avenger/Honor 1) Daimyo: Moto Gaheris (Male Sam 5/Moto Avenge 10) PL 5 : IR 8
Iuchi (Shugenja/Honor 2) Daimyo: Iuchi Yue (Female Shu 14) PL 4 : IR 5
Shinjo (Ranger/Shinjo Explorer & Kishi Charger/Honor 2) Daimyo: Shinjo Shono (Male Rng 2/Sam 3/EXplorer 3) PL 1 : IR 1
Utaku (Samurai/Battle Maiden/Honor 3) Daimyo: Utaku Xieng Chi (Female Samurai 7/BattleMaiden 8) PL 5 : IR 8
Horiuchi (Shugenja/Honor 2) Daimyo: Horiuchi Shem-Zhe (Male Shu 8) PL 1 : IR 1
Ide (Courtier/Honor 2) Daimyo Ide Tadaji (Male Courtier 20) PL 10 : IR 28
The Baraunghar (General: Iuchi Lixue) PL 6 : IR 6 (Move like NPCs)
The Junghar (General: Moto Chen) PL 6 : IR 6 (Ignores Special Attacks like sneak attacks and attacking while fleeing)
The Khol (General: Moto Chagatai) PL 8 : IR 9 (Rage, +4/No Defense 1/turn)
Rojin's Wanderers, a brotherhood of scouts and explorers PL 3 : IR 1
Temimo Province PL 5 : IR 1
Hinoma Province PL 5 : IR 1
Junan Province PL 5 : IR 1
Ito Province PL 5 : IR 1
Kugoi Province PL 5 : IR 1
Hanmida Province PL 5 : IR 1

Non-Player Characters
Moto Chagatai (Fighter 4, Berserker 10) PL 1
Iuchi Lixue (Shugenja 13) PL 1
Moto Chen (Samurai 6, Kishi Charger 7) PL 1
Shinjo Shono (Male Rng 2/Sam 3/Explorer 3) PL 1

Territories in the North West of Rokugan
Akami (Village) PL 1 : IR 1
Bikami (Village) PL 1 : IR 1
Bugaisha (Fort) PL 7 : IR 5
Egami (Village) PL 1 : IR 1
Exile's Road Watchtower (Tower) PL 5 : IR 3
Kamashimino Komichi (Sorrow's Path) PL 1 : IR 0
Kawa Nemui (Village) PL 1 : IR 1
Kawa Nemui (Sleeping River) PL 1 : IR 0
Kibukito (Village) PL 1 : IR 1
Kurayami-ha (Village) PL 1 : IR 1
Mizu umi Ryo (Dragon Lake) PL 3 : IR 0
Shiro Utaku Shojo (Castle) PL 7 : IR 5
Shiro Shinjo (Castle) PL 7 : IR 5
Shiro Moto (castle) PL 7: IR 5
Toshi no aida ni Kawa (City between the Rivers) (city) PL 3: IR 4
Oshindoka (City) PL 3 : IR 4
Yashigi (Village) PL 1 : IR 1

Territories in the West of Rokugan
Daikoku Seido (Shrine) PL 6 : IR 2
Duzaki (Town) PL 2 : IR 3
Hae Moete (Firefly River) PL 1 : IR 0
Hisatu-Kesu (Village) PL 1 : IR 1
Kawa Sano Fui no Dansei wo Sasu (River of the Unexpected Hero) PL 1 : IR 0
Kita Toge (Northern Pass) PL 1 : IR 0
Kyodai Na Ana (The Great Crater) PL 1 : IR 0
Minami Toge (Southern Pass) PL 1 : IR 0
Mizu (Town) PL 2 : IR 3
Naga Doro Heigen (Naga Road Plain) PL 1 : IR 0
Okuyaki (Village) PL 1 : IR 1
Otaku Seido (Shrine) PL 6: IR 2
Shinden Horiuchi (Shrine) PL 6: IR 2
Shinomen Tower (Tower) PL 5 : IR 3
Shiro Ide (Castle) PL 7 : IR 5
Shiro Iuchi (Castle) PL 7 : IR 5
Shiroi Kishi (Village) PL 1 : IR 1
Shiroi Kishi Heigen (White Shore Plain) PL 1 : IR 0
Turo Kojiri (Village) PL 1 : IR 1
Watchtower (Tower) PL 5 : IR 3

Territories in the South West of Rokugan
Shinden Osano-Wo (Shrine) PL 6 : IR 2
Shinomen Mori (Hidden Forest) PL 1 : IR 0

I still need your help with the template... I'll probably e-mail you something if I don't find you in chat.

Knight Otu

First Post
The rules look good. :)

How should the roleplaying bonus be decided? Two posts, one for the arrival and first test plus the second test, a single post, or the total RPing performance to that point?

Lichtenhart

First Post
mmm I thought one for arrival and first test, and one for every duel (and if a player manages to have his two candidates in final, that's a total of 8 posts); but if you think it's too much just tell me.

Remove ads