D&D 5E Is 5e the Least-Challenging Edition of D&D?

Chaosmancer

Legend
Obviously content rather than systems determines how difficult any given game is. I think a more interesting question is how important skill at playing the game is to successful you are. I think Fifth Edition by far has the lowest skill gap out of any edition of the game. Features like Concentration, Neovancian casting, ritual casting, Advantage/Disadvantage, fluid movement, and the way monsters are designed create an environment where planning, coordination and tactical decision making skills are not well rewarded.

This might be good or bad depending on your perspective.

That hasn't been my expierence. In fact, planning, coordination and tactical decisions seem to be well rewarded within the system in my experience.

Again, ease of learning does not make the tactics lesser.

No, I think he has an entirely valid point. An unskilled player in 3.5 who jumps in at, say, 12th level will find himself lost, bewildered, and largely useless (even more so if he has to build a character on his own). By contrast, I told a brand-new player who joined a campaign late, "Bro, just be a Human Champion, here are your stats," and he was immediately beating the piss out of a horde of minotaurs and overall doing very well for himself.

That said, yes, I've found tactics matter quite a bit, especially at high level, where a wizard can't just stack six effects on himself to become invulnerable.

Chaosmancer

Legend
No, I think he has an entirely valid point. An unskilled player in 3.5 who jumps in at, say, 12th level will find himself lost, bewildered, and largely useless (even more so if he has to build a character on his own). By contrast, I told a brand-new player who joined a campaign late, "Bro, just be a Human Champion, here are your stats," and he was immediately beating the piss out of a horde of minotaurs and overall doing very well for himself.

That said, yes, I've found tactics matter quite a bit, especially at high level, where a wizard can't just stack six effects on himself to become invulnerable.

I wonder though about his ending of those things not being "well rewarded ".

And, I'm sure that your brand-new player had tactical advice from his allies. Letting him know good targets to attack, and such. While the 3.5 player never even gets to the point of thinking about tactics, because they lose in character creation.

I can't put a DOCx file in here... wonder why...

WHAT YOU CAN DO IN A ROUND AND THE CONSEQUENCES THAT WILL COME​

Note: Always refer to the PHB to have full details on the rules. This document is meant as a resumé and not a comprehensive rule set.

Each round, a character has: 1 interaction, 1 bonus action, 1 action and 1 reaction. You can take them in any order as long as you are allowed to take it and that you fill any possible requirement. Example: You can not take a reaction without a triggering action. You can’t make a distance attack without some kind of projectile weapon etc…

INTERACTION
You have one free interaction with your environment. This can be (but not limited to) opening a door, drawing a second weapon, loading a crossbow. All other interaction beyond the first will either take a bonus action or your action (DM call).

MOVE
It is possible to move your full movement or part of it. Your total movement can be separated before and after your attack and in between your attacks if you have multiple ones.

You can throw yourself on the ground at no cost but to get up, it will cost you half of your total movement (rounded up). This means that if you have 30 feet of movement it will cost 15 feet. If you have 25 feet of movement, it will cost you 15 feet as well. Consequently, if you have 80 feet of movement, it will cost you 40 feet to get back up.

Climbing adds 1 foot of movement per foot that you climb. So, climbing 10 feet cost you 20 feet of movement.

Difficult terrain adds a penalty of 1 foot per foot that you want to move. The space containing an enemy is always considered difficult terrain.

Moving stealthily adds 1 foot per foot traveled.

Crawling adds 1 foot per foot traveled.
All these penalties are cumulative. This means that a character trying to crawl stealthily in difficult terrain takes 4 feet of movement per foot traveled. It then takes 20 feet of movement to just make a 5-foot move.

Jump:
Length: Strength score with a running start of 10 feet or more or half your strength score without a running start. If you land on difficult terrain, you must make an acrobatic check or you will fall prone.

Height: Strength bonus +3 in foot. By stretching your arms, it is possible to reach a ledge equals to 1.5 times your height + the result of your jump.

TAKE AN ACTION
Here we have many possibilities: An action can be an attack sequence, the casting of a spell, a skill check or any other options below.

Help. If you help an ally, he will do one action or one attack (and only one, even if he has more than one) with advantage.

Melee or Distance Attack. You make one attack. If you have the option of attacking more than once (Extra Attack), it does not add up with other extra attacks given by other classes. Only the fighter can have more than one extra attack and it is at level 11 and 20 of the fighter class that you will get them. You can not fish for multiple extra attack by multiclassing.

Searching. Searching or observing a zone takes time. A perception roll might be required.

Running. This action lets you take another full move action. Every penalty associated with a standard move action apply. Even the stealth penalties. Yes, you can run stealthily.

To disengage. This is the only way to leave the control zone of an ennemy (or multiple ennemies) without incurring an attack of opportunity by the ennemy.

Dodge Action. All attacks against you are now made at disadvantage as long as you are aware of the attacker(s). All your dexterity saves and checks are made with advantage. You lose all benefits of the dodge action if you are incapacitated or if your speed is reduced to zero.

Casting a spell. A spell requires an action to be cast. Any other delay requires concentration. You can only maintain concentration on one spell at a time. This automatically means the end of a previous spell that you are concentrating on. Example of a delayed spell: You ready the spell magic missile to strike an enemy spell caster at the beginning of its turn (so that a previous shield spell drops). See below for the consequences.

Ready an action. It is possible to ready an action to make it a reaction. This reaction can be a spell, an attack, a move or even an interaction. The reaction takes up your action so you will not act at your turn. A readied spell is now a concentration spell. This means that it will be opened to being disrupt if you are attacked. This will require you to make a concentration check if you are ever hit by an attack.

You ready an action with a specific condition in mind and you have to tell it to your DM. It can be just about anything but if the condition does not happen, the readied action is lost. This is a risk that you are taking.

This kind of reaction happens AFTER the triggering condition. It will not prevent the triggering condition from happening. Remember that you can only have one reaction per round. If you suddenly have the possibility to make an attack of opportunity as you have an action on the ready, you can still do your attack of opportunity. But doing so makes you lose your readied action.

Hiding If conditions allow it, lightly or heavily obscured zone, a cluttered space where hiding can be done, a sudden distraction (no being in combat does not count) or simply the fact that you were not previously noticed, are the required condition to make a hide check.

Using an object. Using a magic item requires your action. It is also possible to use this option to interact with one more object. Reading a scroll, drinking a potion, using a wand etc… another example is to draw a second weapon without two weapon fighting.

Bonus Action A bonus action can be used in certain circumstances. An attack with an offhand weapon, A shield shove from a shield master, a rogue using a magic item with a feature from the thief specialization, going into rage (barbarian), using the feature of certain spells or casting some spells (such as healing word, misty steps…).

Note about spells: If you cast a spell as a bonus action, your main spell must then be a cantrip. You can not normally cast healing word along with cure wounds. The second spell must be from the cantrip list.

Reaction A reaction can happen on your turn or at the turn of an opponent. The following possibilities can happen with your reaction: You can make an attack of opportunity, you can parry an attack if you have the protection style, you can cast certain spells as a reaction. There are a lot of possibilities. This list doesn’t cover everything that every class can do.

A reaction is not influence by the extra attack feature. A fighter level one has exactly the same reaction as a fighter level 20. So, preparing an attack as a reaction when you have four of them is quite a loss. You must be sure that it will be worth it.

You can not normally have more than one reaction per round. There are two types of reactions: « the prepared, and the unprepared.

The unprepared reaction is usually an attack of opportunity (but far from always). The unprepared reaction has the potential to cancel or terminate the triggering action. Example: “Counterspell” and “the parry feature of the protection style” these are not the only possibilities.

The prepared reaction is made by sacrificing your action to react to a predetermined condition. This type of reaction never prevents the triggering condition from happening. So, readying an attack to attack a caster as he cast a spell will not prevent the spell from happening. Try to kill him on your turn.

MODIFICATIONS TO ATTACKS AND ATTACK ROLLS BECAUSE OF DIVERSE CONDITIONS OR ACTIONS MODIFIERS.

Grappling (wrestling).

You can grapple your enemy. You make an Athletic check vs the enemies’ athletic or acrobatic check. If you win, the enemy is grappled. The enemy sees its speed reduced to zero and gives you a partial cover (+2 to your AC).

In addition, you can inflict your unarmed damage to the grappled victim every round that you are in a grapple with it. Your unarmed damage is equal to 1d4 + strength modifier. Naturally, a monk can do a lot more.

On the second successful round, the enemy is now restrained and only an athletic check opposed to yours can let it escape your grasp.

A creature can also opt to grapple you too. In that case this is an automatic success. In that case, the creature will follow the same rule as above and will be able on the second round to inflict its unarmed damage to you.

Note: Wrestling/grappling a ghoul, a troll or a similar creature is generally not a good idea.

Attacking at range (weapons and spells.)
If an enemy is in hand to hand combat (within 5 feet of you) you will attack with disadvantage any enemy if you attack with range weapons and spells. This is regardless of the enemy that you attack.

If an enemy is lying on the ground (such as crawling) you have disadvantage to attack with ranged weapons and spells against that enemy.

If you do not have a clear line of sight or if an ally is in hand to hand with your target, this enemy receives a bonus cover of +2 to its AC. This bonus can rise to +5 if the enemy is one size (or more) smaller than your ally.

If you are on high ground, you can ignore the penalty of crawling (or proned) targets with your ranged weapon.

Opportunity Attacks
These attacks require you to expend your reaction and are done when an enemy tries to leave combat proximity (being at 5 feet or less) of you without taking the disengage action. You can not make an opportunity attack if you have no reaction left. If more than one opponent wants to leave your controlled zone; you have to choose which one will be your target.

If a rogue is allowed an attack of opportunity and either has advantage on the attack or has an ally near the target (with 5 feet); the rogue will be able to apply his sneak attack damage. Never turn your back to a rogue.

Two weapon fighting
In all cases, attacking with a second weapon requires your bonus action.

If one of your weapons has the thrown property, you can opt to throw it instead.

If you do not have the two weapons fighting style from your class, the following restrictions will apply.

Your two weapons must be light

You do not apply your stat bonuses unless they are in the negative.

Critical strikes
If you roll a natural 20 with one of your attack(s) it is a critical hit. A critical hit lets you double all damage dice (even sneak attack damage dice). A spell that requires an attack roll can inflict a critical hit too.

Cover
A creature can have half cover (+2 to AC)
It can have a three-quarter cover (+5 to AC)
Or total cover (can not even be targeted.)

A creature will receive a bonus to dexterity saving throws equal to the cover bonus it reveives. A creature that has total cover is effectively immune to spell zone attacks (unless the cover can be circumvented somehow).

Opponents lying on the ground (prone) in melee.
If you are in melee with a proned enemy you have the advantage to hit him. This is quite opposite to ranged attacks.

Invisible and/or unseen opponenets.
You are at disadvantage to attack these enemies and they are at advantage to attack you.

Push and Shove
When you attack, you can opt to do no damage and to instead do one of the followings.
You can push back the enemy by 5 feet. This is useful to break lines of defense. Or you can make the opponent fall prone. This will give you and your allies advantage on melee attacks against this enemy.

In order to succeed, you have to roll an opposing Athletic check against the Athletics or Acrobatic checks of the target. If you succeed, you win the contest and the creature is pushed back 5 feet or simply fall down according to your choice.

You have the advantage on this check if you are two size bigger than your target.

You have disadvantage on this check if you are a size smaller.

Attacking an incapacitated enemy.
Whenever you attack an incapacitated enemy (like being unconscious or paralyzed) you have advantage on your attack(s) and you inflict an automatic critical hit.

If you are attacked while at zero hit point.

If you are at zero hit point and thus incapacitated, an enemy can attack you with advantage and if the attack succeeds, it will impose two survival check failures. It is not a good idea to fall in combat.

The above post is exactly what I give to my players (new and old). It helps to understand what you can do and what is risky to do. I hope it will help you out.

DOCx files do not appear in the attach files possibilities... is that normal?
Edit: If any of you wants the original DOCx file, just message me on profile and give me your email. I'll sent it to you with pleasure.

Last edited:

Remove ads