D&D 5E Is 5e's Success Actually Bad for Other Games?

For Matt Colville, he has also talked about 4e encounter design, interesting monster design vs. bag of HP, and cool naughty word for martial characters.

Has he talked about things like:

* the importance of the proliferation of Forced Movement, tactical movement capability and decision-points across the engine and all character design?

* Integration of battlefield (consequential terrain and variation/hazards/stunting) dynamics with Team PC and Team Monster and the combat engine? Creating and incentivizing Movement and Forced Movement is paramount.

* Team PC synergy to overcome Team Monster + battlefield synergy?

And does “interesting monster design” have * Team Monster synergy + battlefield synergy folded in?

All the stuff is huge for design and play.

I think he’s wrong about 5e. For instance stated that 5e can’t do tactical combat, though that was an off the cuff statement in the middle of a stream, I won’t hang onto it, just an example.
He does sure like 4e, and I do think he has driven a lot of the recent interest in it.

I’m only vaguely aware of Colville (I have virtually 0 touch-points with D&D media), but he can definitely make a nuanced statement like 5e can have tactical combat without coming anywhere near the tactical depth (and therefore the visceral cognitive experience) of 4e combat.

Was he maybe saying that?

darjr

I crit!
No man, he was just having fun and playing some 4e, mostly.
I just wish he didn’t have to bag on 5e to make his points. Some of which I thiklnk he’s wrong about.

Aldarc

Legend
Has he talked about things like:
I linked the stream a few pages back, and @overgeeked has started a thread where it's linked again. He's not really going in-depth to any of this. He's just running off his thoughts and responding to people in the stream.

I think he’s wrong about 5e. For instance stated that 5e can’t do tactical combat, though that was an off the cuff statement in the middle of a stream, I won’t hang onto it, just an example.
He does sure like 4e, and I do think he has driven a lot of the recent interest in it.
It may be better to debate this point on clearstream's thread.

Last edited:

No man, he was just having fun and playing some 4e, mostly.
I just wish he didn’t have to bag on 5e to make his points. Some of which I thiklnk he’s wrong about.

Ah. So he actively doesn’t like 5e and makes a point to express that. Well…that is a different deal entirely (again, I have no clue as I don’t have the touch-points).

darjr

I crit!
I’m only vaguely aware of Colville (I have virtually 0 touch-points with D&D media), but he can definitely make a nuanced statement like 5e can have tactical combat without coming anywhere near the tactical depth (and therefore the visceral cognitive experience) of 4e combat.

Was he maybe saying that?
The question was, “Does 5e do tactical combat” and his answer was, after pausing and thinking, “no”. But, I could have missed some nuance in the exchange, sure. He chats tend to go by fast. And, really, he was just talking, shooting the shinola, ya know?

happyhermit

Adventurer
Capitalistic markets don't work like that in practice. Once the market leader entrenches themselves and manages to establish themselves in the consumers' minds as the "default", or as a "prestige brand", then familiarity, over quality, becomes the primary determinant of success. ...

OMG! I was just saying the same thing when I logged onto AOL with my smartphone (Blackberry, if there was any doubt) to make a post on Myspace. Once a clear market leader emerges, that isn't going to change other than rare exceptions like when Atari finally became the console of choice forever, after quashing the Intellivision monopoly.

Remove ads