D&D 5E Is 5e's Success Actually Bad for Other Games?

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Well, doing something that isn't on your sheet in 5E is very uncertain. On the other hand, if my character is doing something that isn't covered by a move available to her in AW, I know what will happen next -- the GM will make a move within their restrictions, which means:
  • The move can't be hard
  • The GM is always a fan of my character
  • Their move must organically flow from fiction
Flawed argument.

If my character goes to the latrines I know exactly what will happen in D&D and that is not on my character sheet. :p

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think I'm not being clear. I am not saying that it is the same everywhere, at all times. That would be nonsense.

I am saying it is not particular to FANS. Fans, as people, are not significantly different from any random sampling of humans put into a similar place/context. It is an issue of the form of social context, not of the topic of that context.
I’m saying that an online fan community is a particular form of social context, not just a topic, and that online fan communities tend toward eventual toxicity in different ways from other types of communities.
Indeed. Deep investment demonstrably tends to lead humans to behavior based on their emotional state, in which we tend to reject information that conflicts with our current feelings about the situation.
Indeed, that is true. In this case, it’s enabling the “dog-pile” impulse in a pretty toxic way.

Remove ads