• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is a Quickened Spell considered a free action?

Bungus

First Post
or, does it count as a Swift or Immediate action?

I ask because the SRD says it is a Free Action, but then specifies that you can only cast one Quickened spell per round, which puts it more in line with Immediate or Swift. The SRD also does not really go into Swift & Immediate actions that I can recall, either.

Last edited:

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer

I ask because the SRD says it is a Free Action, but then specifies that you can only cast one Quickened spell per round, which puts it more in line with Immediate or Swift. The SRD also does not really go into Swift & Immediate actions that I can recall, either.

It's a swift action. The "free action once per round" text comes from the fact that swift actions weren't introduced at 3.5's launch, and the SRD is only supposed to use official PHB text.

Bungus

First Post
Thanks for the update - found the definition in the Rules Compendium. Didn't see it my first time looking.

Last edited:

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
FYI, swift actions are in the SRD, just the psionics section.

They are, and immediate actions as well, but the PHB section only uses PHB text, which doesn't have it there. The should probably have made the Rules Compendium part of the SRD...but that would be a bit too logical. ;)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
They should have made a lot more part of the SRD or at least OGC, but there wasn't much new for most of 3.5.

kitsune9

Adventurer

In 3.0 it was a free action with the caveat that only one round. In 3.5 it's reclassified as a swift action.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads