D&D 5E Is Bardic Inspiration Magic?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think it's non-magical, and can be whispered to instill confidence or inspiration in someone else for them to achieve something they want to achieve.

Courtroom scenario solution:
Message cantrip as an action, Bardic inspiration as a bonus action

As long as Hermione doesn’t see the Bard whispering something while pointing at their ally on the stand, should be fine.

Also, I think it is magical based on the PHB Bard flavor text @Harzel quoted above.

I don't think it is magical. Moreover, how is it "influencing" someone? It gives them a die to roll on a check - it doesn't impact their decision making or change their opinions in any particular way.
No, but it can influence the ability of a person to persuade the judge. i.e. giving inspiration to the party 'lawyer' before opening or closing statements.

Now, as addressed later, this might not be illegal in a court room at all. After all, isn't a persuasive lawyer a better lawyer and to be expected?

I don't think it matters if it's magic or not. It would certainly not be allowed in court.

1. "You can inspire others through stirring words or music." In the middle of a court hearing? You'd be thrown out.
Uh, depends on how you envision it. I mean an stirring statement would certainly not be illegal during statements or testimony. I mean that's expected that the characters make impassioned statements (and should be a large part of the fun of the scene).

2. If bardic inspiration is used to, say, help a witness lie (e.g. with a deception check, or a saving throw vs. zone of truth), the judge would certainly consider that to be improper interference with the proceedings.
Sure, but what if its used to inspire an ally with their testimony?

It isn't like the character it is granted to is walking around with a glowing d6 over their head, so that anyone would know the power was used.

But if it is used so that someone makes their Insight check to detect a lie, that'd be fine, right?
I'm leaning toward allowing it.

How is "give you an extra d6 to do something with" any worse than "have a high charisma?" Both will give bonuses on rolls to deceive. Should we make people drink Potions of No Stat/skill Bonuses before they are allowed in the court?
Yea, I don't think it's a problem either... I mean you could even give the judge inspiration. "Come now your honor, you can see the witness is clearly lying."

Put simply, my bard whispers to the character, “hey, man! You’ve got this!”

That is enough to give the BI d6. No one else needs to hear it.
Yep, or even a "My friends and I are going to tell you the truth, we are going to tell you how we have been draw into a series of unfortunate circumstances while trying to keep the citizens of Waterdeep safe from ..."
If it's magic it doesn't work in an antimagic field, if it isn't magic it does work in an antimagic field.
Ok, good criteria. So, does Bardic Inspiration work in an anti-magic field?

Uh, depends on how you envision it. I mean an stirring statement would certainly not be illegal during statements or testimony. I mean that's expected that the characters make impassioned statements (and should be a large part of the fun of the scene).
This.

It's a courtroom scene. You should let the character whose entire schtick is rhetorical performance pull out all the stops and go for it with everything they've got. Inspire their witnesses with pep talks. Object to opposing counsel's arguments with Cutting Words. All of it. The hammier the better.

Disallowing this would be like throwing a monk into a boxing match and then saying they can't use Martial Arts.

Courtroom scenario solution:
Message cantrip as an action, Bardic inspiration as a bonus action
Message is magic, don't think their is any doubt about that, even though it's a cantrip.

Also, I think it is magical based on the PHB Bard flavor text @Harzel quoted above.
What about Danger Sense, Evasion, etc? I mean we used to have 'supernatural' as a category for things that was separate from 'magic'.

I mean if a ranger decided to use Vanish in a court room, the judge might be annoyed, alarmed, etc, but that's not really magic is it?

gyor

Legend
No, but it can influence the ability of a person to persuade the judge. i.e. giving inspiration to the party 'lawyer' before opening or closing statements.

Now, as addressed later, this might not be illegal in a court room at all. After all, isn't a persuasive lawyer a better lawyer and to be expected?

Sure, but what if its used to inspire an ally with their testimony?

I'm leaning toward allowing it.

Yea, I don't think it's a problem either... I mean you could even give the judge inspiration. "Come now your honor, you can see the witness is clearly lying."

Yep, or even a "My friends and I are going to tell you the truth, we are going to tell you how we have been draw into a series of unfortunate circumstances while trying to keep the citizens of Waterdeep safe from ..."

Ok, good criteria. So, does Bardic Inspiration work in an anti-magic field?

I was hoping you'd know.

Harzel

Adventurer
Is Bardic Inspiration magic?

Of course not. Just look at how often bards use inspiration while in an anti-magic zone.

Um, ok, where, exactly, am I supposed to look? I mean, I could just as easily say, "Look at how often a DM says it doesn't work." You seem to be trying to conjure evidence from nothing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Yeah, and money can hire a lawyer with a higher charisma and more skill in persuasion, and that is not only allowed, but expected.

Remove ads