• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is he evil?

Corwin

Explorer
Suppose I told you, "This really happened to me..." and proceeded to relate to you a story about a bar fight that was in its essential the same as the one in the original post. Then I told you, "I killed the bouncer. Do you think that was wrong?"

You would I think have enough information to answer that question.

But if I told you, "This really happened to me..." and proceeded to relate to you a story about being attacked by an orc, you'd first realize that I was probably making crap up, and that if I wasn't making stuff up, then you'd have know what orcs are before you made that judgment.
And yet, if you were "making crap up" in *both* instances, they would still be equally fictitious. Just like the bouncer and orc in an RPG.

The story involving a human...
Does it? What if he was actually a permanently polymorphed red dragon? Or a doppleganger assassin? And even if he *was* human (this has not been established), what if he was secretly a Cthulhu cultist who was close to awakening the Great Old Ones a week from Thursday?

Celebrim

Legend
We aren't provided the species of the bouncer...

Something I mentioned in my response when I said, "...but if he's a fictional human".

so we can't actually say the bouncer isn't an orc (or a half-orc) or any other thing that doesn't exist in our world.

No, but if we aren't going to assume that the bouncer is a human, then the whole thread is invalid precisely for the very reasons I've here discussed. If for example we can suddenly assume that the bouncer is a member of any species at all, we could for example assume that the bouncer is a Cambion demonspawn, and as such absolutely had to be destroyed.

In which case, the whole thread is invalidated, because pretty much everyone in the thread was assuming a degree of reality that we are now going to throw out the window in favor of a greater amount of fictionality that undermines any assumptions we might have.

And likewise, I think it is self-evident that is it wholly pointless to discuss the ethics of killing Cambions, until we have defined the species. Afterall, we could be talking Hellboy here, canonically defined in his setting as noble hearted, good, and possessing of a free will.

Also, just like an author can say "this particular sort of thing is called an orc" and then also determine moral views on violence against that orc, an author can create a world where being human means something different from what it does in our world, and where moral views are decidedly different than those (wildly varying) moral views found in our world.

I wonder how you think this contradicts anything about what I said. But ok, if we are playing on Kragwurld, and someone goes, "I forgot to tell you, on Kragwurld, when humans turn 40 that undergo a transformation that turns them into an unthinking monsters, that then ruthlessly kill their neighbors, and so on this world every accepts that it is their duty to die before their 40th birthday, and that everyone has a duty to kill anyone who tries to escape this necessary culling, and the bouncer would turn 40 that very evening.", then yes that might change things a bit. Besides obviously not being humanity, such a species would be so different from humanity, that it would be very hard to say anything about their own morality or to judge how they acted toward each other.

But again, I think that shows how ridiculous it is to assert that this scenario is just as fictional as a bar fight.

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
Something that just occurred to me... What if the bouncer was a gnome? I think that changes everything. Its every PCs obligation to cut those buggers down at every opportunity. Filthy gnomes.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
No, but if we aren't going to assume that the bouncer is a human, then the whole thread is invalid precisely for the very reasons I've here discussed.
I disagree. I think there is plenty of room for valid discussion while not assuming any facts not in evidence.

In fact, I find discussion more likely to be valid and meaningful if people don't assume facts not in evidence while participating.

I wonder how you think this contradicts anything about what I said.
It's simple; saying "this is a human" and making up something fictional doesn't guarantee in any way that said fictional thing will be more like real life than had you said "this is an orc." Whereas you said, or implied I should say to be more accurate, that if the bouncer was human that this fictional bar fight is inherently more like a real life bar fight than if the bouncer wasn't human.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Suppose I told you, "This really happened to me..." and proceeded to relate to you a story about a bar fight that was in its essential the same as the one in the original post. Then I told you, "I killed the bouncer. Do you think that was wrong?"

If a guy comes at you with a sword in real life then I would not tell you it was wrong to kill him while defending yourself.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
If a guy comes at you with a sword in real life then I would not tell you it was wrong to kill him while defending yourself.

True, but if a guy comes at you with a sword in real life but then puts it on the ground and kneels down I would absolutely consider it wrong to kill him.

Fanaelialae

Legend
You're hypothetical scenario was completely fictional. It had no basis in reality. You could have used aliens or Santa, which was my point.

No basis in reality? Take a glance at some science news. There is a very real possibility that my hypothetical machine society could become a reality within our lifetimes. Whereas you can wait until the heat death of the universe (or Big Crunch if you prefer) but Santa will still be completely fictional.

The two are not even in the same ballpark.

Not in many countries. It may be legal in the US, but not everywhere. Further, I never claimed every bit of morality was legislated. Only that the vast majority that is legislated is in compliance with the morality of society.

Given that we've been discussing "western morality" for the bulk of this conversation, I don't see how the legality in non-western cultures is relevant to your point. If anything, it supports my claim that there is not a direct correlation between morality and legality. Note that I've never claimed that there isn't an indirect correlation; in fact I believe there is one.

People sometimes die when that happens. You don't always see pedestrians. When you break that law, you are risking the death of others, even when "certain" that it is safe. That's immoral. You don't have the right to risk the life of another just because you are impatient at a light.

By that logic, it's immoral to operate a motor vehicle, because you are putting the lives of others at risk. A lot of people die as a result of automobile accidents every year after all.

And really, it is possible to be 100% certain given appropriate conditions. Clear sight lines. A well lit roadway. You come to a full stop and take the time to survey your surroundings. You drive through the intersection at a slow pace once you ascertain that it is safe. Unless the invisible man is crossing the road, you're not going to hit anyone or anything.

I actually used a real world example for that one. Back when I was in my 20s, we used to game at a friend's house until 2 or 3 am. Sometime around then, a light on a road I would take home would change from a normal timer to one that could take up to ten minutes to change (I timed it on numerous occasions). While stopped at the light, I had plenty of time to ponder the moral implications of running the red, including in terms of alignment given that I'd been playing D&D a few minutes earlier. You could see several hundred feet down every path of the intersection and the plethora of streetlights made it nearly as bright as day. While I never did run the red, I concluded that there was nothing immoral about doing so as there was simply no chance that I could put anyone's life in danger. Even if some drunken idiot were flying down the road at a hundred mph with his lights off, I would have still seen him from a mile a way (figuratively speaking). In fact, I saw several such idiots while sitting at that light. No, the only reason that I didn't do it was that I don't care to break the law if it can be helped. Waiting 5 to 10 minutes was marginally preferable.

As for the rest, this is the first post of yours that I replied to:

I think it's very relevant. We're discussing western morals and good/evil here, because those are at the root of the alignment system and the common usage of good/evil is what 5e uses.

Every one of the legislators was born and raised on those morals and those morals come out in the laws. Using lethal force against non-lethal force is illegal, BECAUSE it's evil.

To paraphrase, you said that murder is illegal BECAUSE it is immoral. One was the direct result of the other. Merely being in compliance seems a very different thing to me.

This is the conclusion from my second response to you:

There is not a one-to-one correlation between what "society" deems moral and what the government deems legal. It does dovetail sometimes, as I said before, but that doesn't mean that one is directly responsible for the other. The government is responsible for creating rules to ensure that society functions. Just because some laws are moral doesn't necessitate that the laws were dictated by morality. I would say that a law's function in society should be the primary consideration for why the law exists.

It seemed like some goalposts might have been shifting a little, so I thought it best that we both have a reminder of what we're talking about.

As you can see, from the beginning I've never denied that some laws are in compliance with morality. Just that it isn't as simple as a direct relationship. Morality doesn't dictate or determine legality. While morality certainly is sometimes a factor, other times it isn't. It's never as simple as moral therefore legal (at least, thankfully, not in our society). As I stated in my first post to you, I believe that nothing good can come from legislating morality. Any minimally competent legislator will consider what consequences a law will have on society, not simply its morality. At least if they want a functional society.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No basis in reality? Take a glance at some science news. There is a very real possibility that my hypothetical machine society could become a reality within our lifetimes. Whereas you can wait until the heat death of the universe (or Big Crunch if you prefer) but Santa will still be completely fictional.

No. Your example was of robots that would not have been made by programmed by humans. The ones we're working will have human morality since we're the ones giving it to them. Any potential machine society will be founded in human morality.

By that logic, it's immoral to operate a motor vehicle, because you are putting the lives of others at risk. A lot of people die as a result of automobile accidents every year after all.

No. There's reasonable risk and unreasonable risk. The laws preventing you from running red lights are to prevent unreasonable risk.

And really, it is possible to be 100% certain given appropriate conditions. Clear sight lines. A well lit roadway. You come to a full stop and take the time to survey your surroundings. You drive through the intersection at a slow pace once you ascertain that it is safe. Unless the invisible man is crossing the road, you're not going to hit anyone or anything.

Which ultimately is meaningless. The laws were written with society's morality in mind. That you can come up with an exception to the red light law doesn't mean that it is not founded based on that morality. Western morality says life is precious, and red light laws are made with that in mind.

To paraphrase, you said that murder is illegal BECAUSE it is immoral. One was the direct result of the other. Merely being in compliance seems a very different thing to me.

If people didn't view it as immoral, there wouldn't be laws against it. Those laws are based on the morality of society.

As you can see, from the beginning I've never denied that some laws are in compliance with morality.

It's not just "some". The overwhelming majority are.

Just that it isn't as simple as a direct relationship. Morality doesn't dictate or determine legality. While morality certainly is sometimes a factor, other times it isn't. It's never as simple as moral therefore legal (at least, thankfully, not in our society). As I stated in my first post to you, I believe that nothing good can come from legislating morality. Any minimally competent legislator will consider what consequences a law will have on society, not simply its morality. At least if they want a functional society.

I never said that there weren't exceptions. It's just that the overwhelming majority of laws are made due to the morals of the legislature, which unless they are aberrant in some way, match society.

Murder is evil because society says it is evil. Pretty much every society........ever. What constitutes murder and justified killing varies a bit from culture to culture, though.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Given that we've been discussing "western morality" for the bulk of this conversation, I don't see how the legality in non-western cultures is relevant to your point. If anything, it supports my claim that there is not a direct correlation between morality and legality. Note that I've never claimed that there isn't an indirect correlation; in fact I believe there is one.

It seemed like some goalposts might have been shifting a little, so I thought it best that we both have a reminder of what we're talking about.

As you can see, from the beginning I've never denied that some laws are in compliance with morality. Just that it isn't as simple as a direct relationship. Morality doesn't dictate or determine legality. While morality certainly is sometimes a factor, other times it isn't. It's never as simple as moral therefore legal (at least, thankfully, not in our society). As I stated in my first post to you, I believe that nothing good can come from legislating morality. Any minimally competent legislator will consider what consequences a law will have on society, not simply its morality. At least if they want a functional society.

So I've been out of the loop for a few days, and admit I haven't read all of the messages that I've missed. But I just came across something I found very interesting on Dragonsfoot.com, in a compilation of answers to questions directly from Gary Gygax. This is in relationship to AD&D (1e), and the views on alignment have changed a bit. But I didn't realize how different his views were from mine until reading these:

In this situation, the dwarf and the paladin are fellow PCs:

Q. The paladin in the group, oncefinding out that no more harm will come from this tribe. That this is the last ogre, decides to execute theOgre. Their mission is to get to the highfolk, and thus they dont have time to drag a ogre to authorities. Itsclear the ogre will only slow them down. The Dwarf who was doing the questioning, gets pissed at thePaladin for jumping in and finishing off his prisoner. Walks over to the Paladins horse and ...

Phoebewedh walks over to Ivric's horse and slits its throat.
"Don't tarry when you run to catch up with us. If you ever so much as interfere with my prisoners again I will gut you like a pig and feed you to my boar. "he says to the paladin.

I explain to the character that this is not a good act(the dwarf.), I am thinking that he needs an alignmentchange to CN from this act. Furthermore killing a Paladin of Heironeous's warhorse isn't going to sit lightlywith the paladin, and likely a duel to the death will take place here. What would you do in htis situation(thedwarf is CG).

EGG. The paladin'shonor was besmirched by the dwarf, and as the DM I would call that to the attention of the player of thepaladin if there was less than great umbrage taken. To allow the incident to pass without punishing theoffending dwarf would be a dark stain on the honor of the paladin.

Paladins are not stupid, and in general there is no rule of Lawful Good against killing enemies. The oldaddage about nits making lice applies. Also, as I have often noted, a paladin can freely dispatch prisonersof Evil alignment that have surrrendered and renounced that alignment in favor of Lawful Good. They arethen sent on to their reward before thay can backslide.

So he's saying several things here - the paladin is at risk of losing their paladin-hood for NOT challenging somebody (even a companion) who challenges the paladin's honor. To the death, even.

Then he goes so far to say that a lawful good paladin can kill a POW who has renounced their ways and accepted good, just to keep them from being tempted by evil again!

It gets better:

EGG. An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth is by no means anything but Lawful and Good. Prisoners guiltyof murder or similar capital crimes can be executed without violating any precept of the alignment.Hanging is likely the usual method of such execution, although it might be beheading, strangulation, etc.A paladin is likely a figure that would be considered a fair judge of criminal conduct. The Anglo-Saxon punishment for rape and/or murder of a woman was as follows: tearing off of the scalp,cutting off of the ears and nose, blinding, chopping off of the feet and hands, and leaving the criminalbeside the road for all bypassers to see. I don't know if they cauterized the limb stumps or not beforedoing that. It was said that a woman and child could walk the length and breadth of England without fearof molestation then...
Chivington might have been quoted as saying "nits make lice," but he is certainly not the first one to makesuch an observation as it is an observable fact. If you have read the account of wooden Leg, a warrior ofthe Cheyenne tribe that fought against Custer et al., he dispassionately noted killing an enemy squaw forthe reason in question.

Then:
Q. Gary, seeing how you define Lawful Good, to what alignment would you ascribe the qualities of mercy,benevolence, and -- dare I say -- pacifism? Would you consider such traits Chaotic? Evil?
To my mind, the example you just described of "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" represents LawfulNeutral. That is, for society to be viable, order must be upheld at any cost. Those who do not conform tothe will of society forfeit their right to exist within it, and are subject to whatever punishment (deathincluded) best serves the society.

EGG.
I am not going to waste my time and yours debating ethics and philosophy. I will state unequivocally thatin the alignment system as presented in OAD&D, an eye for an eye is lawful and just, Lawful Good, asmisconduct is to be punished under just laws.
Lawful Neutrality countenances malign laws. Lawful Good does not.
Mercy is to be displayed for the lawbreaker that does so by accident. Benevolence is for the harmless.Pacifism in the fantasy milieu is for those who would be slaves. They have no place in determininggeneral alignment, albeit justice tempered by mercy is a NG manifestation, whilst well-consideredbenevolence is generally a mark of Good.

With regard to pacifism, that is aprpos, also with regards to athesim in the FRPG where there are activedeities. Only idocy or mental derangement could explain such absurd beliefs in such a milieu.

A paladin is qualified to be judge and jury--assuming he is acting according to the oath he took to gain hisstatus.

As a matter of fact, to me this whole discussion is rather pointless. however, I'll answer more of yourquestins and somments:
Pray tell how do humanoid foes know the alignment of their opponents?
Why is it that in actuality troops would surrender even knowing that the victors were prone to slaughteringcaptives. The Japanese did that as did the Nazis.
When I am DMing, humanoids do usually fight to the very last,
How you wish to run your game is your business, and debating my take on the matter is not going tovalidate how you choose to manage matters. that needs no validation.

If the foes of these humanoids are so foolish as to accept surrender and allow their prisoners toeventually go free and perform further depredations, your "Good" forces are really "Stupid."
Neutral and Evil PCs in my campaign would indeed accept surrender of humanoids, enlist them to fighton their behlaf, and thus they would die for the profit of their human or demi-human masters.

The non-combatants in a humanoid group might be judged as worthy of death by a LG opponent forceand executed or taken as prisoners to be converted to the correct way of thinking and behaving. A NGopponent would likely admonish them to change their ways before freeing them. A CG force mightenslave them so as to correct their ways or else do as the NG party did. CN and LN opponents wouldlikely slaughter the lot. Evil opponents would enlist, enslave, or execute them according to the nature ofthe Evil victors and that of the survivors. Enlistment would be for those of like alignment, slaughter forthose opposite the victors' predisposition to order or disorder. Enslavement is an option for any sort of Evildesiring workers."

There's more, but that covers a lot of ground already. All I can say, is if this is how EGG defined Lawful Good, and that's the world the characters are living in, then there's a legitimate question as to whether the scenario in the original post is evil. But essentially what Gary is saying is that the definition of good and evil is based on the laws of the "good" society.

When determining things like the death penalty this makes sense, on the other hand somebody up thread mentioned that is more likely lawful neutral, which I would agree with at this point.

I guess the real question is, "Does it matter?" to which the answer is really dependent upon the function of alignment in your campaign. Gary indicated that alignment was primarily a tool for the DM, to define within the world what is evil (and therefore subject to any act deemed necessary - imprisonment, torture, or death) by the good. It was also a world where changing your alignment sometimes had very specific and significant ramifications for your character, particularly clerics, paladins, and rangers.

In a 5e game, there is far less impact. In fact, the majority of the impact is likely to be of the societal/legal aspect. The rest of the party abandoning you for an evil act, all the way to legal ramifications, up to the death penalty.

I guess for me, what I'm currently "settling on" is that killing somebody in self-defense, defense of another, or a combatant enemy in a time of war (which generally includes attacks against monstrous humanoids in my campaign) are not evil. They may or may not be considered good, but they won't cause any shift in alignment.

In a society where the law is relatively just, then the death penalty wouldn't be much different. Not good, per se, but not something that would cause a shift in alignment, or to put it a different way, to shift from good to neutral (or back) is more a question of the general pattern of a person, where shifting to an evil alignment is easier than shifting back, and possibly easier to go from good to evil than good to neutral.

I'm also considering adding some fictional elements that make good and evil more important in that aspect since that's where I think the struggle works best. It might have some mechanical aspects (such as for clerics), but I think that's more tied in meeting the oaths to a particular deity, and evil acts may strain that relationship. But essentially I'm thinking of the sort of slide into evil like Star Wars, where evil acts encourage more evil acts, and that it is often difficult to avoid that once you start down the road. For example, if the bouncer was killed without the rest of the PCs (or anybody else) witnessing it, and the PC lied about it being in self-defense. So not only is the killing evil, but they are lying about it, and might get caught. Which potentially leads to more evil acts. I think it would be an extremely interesting character scenario to play out, and might have some in-game or mechanical ramifications as well.

Fanaelialae

Legend
No. Your example was of robots that would not have been made by programmed by humans. The ones we're working will have human morality since we're the ones giving it to them. Any potential machine society will be founded in human morality.

Where the heck are you getting that from? The machines might be programmed to not kill humans (my scenario doesn't even consider this aspect because it isn't relevant). They simply wouldn't have any moral imperative not to do so with each other. Machines are built to perform one or more functions. What function does it serve a recycling bot to question the morality of scrapping a toaster bot? None. It would simply have rules to follow about when it is appropriate to recycle other robots (when a bot is malfunctioning) and when it isn't (the bot is correctly serving a necessary role). A society in which murder is legal and yet not immoral. A machine programmed by a human does not necessarily have to follow a human morality, and even if it did, since when have humans ever had a moral issue with throwing their own machines in the trash?

No. There's reasonable risk and unreasonable risk. The laws preventing you from running red lights are to prevent unreasonable risk.

Laws are typically created to be used broadly. If some legislator were to approve a law for my specific red light situation into being, would it make it any more or less moral than before? Hardly, despite that the risk remains the same.

Which ultimately is meaningless. The laws were written with society's morality in mind. That you can come up with an exception to the red light law doesn't mean that it is not founded based on that morality. Western morality says life is precious, and red light laws are made with that in mind.

That's probably part of it, but there's also the fact that car accidents inconvenience the society. Even if we human beings were immortal, I'd bet you there would still be red light laws. Because the legislators don't want traffic.

If people didn't view it as immoral, there wouldn't be laws against it. Those laws are based on the morality of society.

I couldn't disagree more. If murder was considered moral/amoral, there would still be laws against it in a functional society. That's because you can't have a functional society in which people just kill each other whenever they feel like it. It would lead to a dysfunctional society.

It's not just "some". The overwhelming majority are.

I seriously doubt that (there are an overwhelming number of laws that are neither moral nor immoral) but even were that the case, it's irrelevant. "Being in compliance with" is not synonymous with "being a direct result thereof".

I never said that there weren't exceptions. It's just that the overwhelming majority of laws are made due to the morals of the legislature, which unless they are aberrant in some way, match society.

Murder is evil because society says it is evil. Pretty much every society........ever. What constitutes murder and justified killing varies a bit from culture to culture, though.

That's a gross oversimplification. It's not simply the morals of the legislature which influence what becomes law and what simply remains a cultural more. Laws against murder simply happen to be a happy place where the needs of a society and human morality intersect. I have an example that illustrates this perfectly but saying it would almost certainly violate forum rules. Feel free to PM me if you want to know.

Remove ads