• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is Intimidate the worse skill in the game?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Generally speaking, I tend to conclude that Intimidation is preferable to Persuasion when the target is already hostile to the party. Sure, it's a matter of approach, but the approach itself can be situational. There are instances in which I would make an Intimidation DC lower than a Persuasion DC for a specific social encounter, and vice versa.

tl;dr: Persuasion is better suited to stopping a fight before it begins; Intimidate is better suited to stopped a fight that's already started. There are plenty other situations where one or the other approach is going to be better suited.

Intimidation can be used in lots of stuffy social situations:

"I'm sorry, but trying to woo the Lord's daughter is useless. She's way out of your league. There's no way the Lord would allow you, a commoner, to marry her.

"Oh, so you're also applying for the position of Wizard 'X''s apprentice? Yeah, I spent 10 years doing research in >>super specific, technical arcane language.<< Oh, you didn't understand what I'm talking about...maybe you're not cut out for this?

The last would be Intimidate modified by INT. Both are being used to Intimidate the person and get them to drop out of the 'competition'.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Dude, it's a game about murdering people in their homes and robbing them dry. Bullying and threatening are right at home in D&D.

It is also a game about stopping evil cults from destroying the world

And rebuilding civilization after an apocalypse

And going out to make your fortune by discovering a new plant in the mountains

And stopping mad scientists from unleashing plagues.

DnD is more than murderhoboism for gold. Has been for years.

I'll play. Here's three (fun)examples: two are real life examples and one is an in-game example.

In game:
We are leaving town when we are accosted by some cloaked figures.
NPC: "Hey, I see you guys are leaving town. You know, our boss' office was robbed last night. You know anything about that?"
Me: "No, sorry"
NPC(acting tough): Well, then, maybe you can just let me have a look in your bag, just in case.
Me: "Get lost." (Rated G version of what I said)
DM: Make an intimidation check. If you succeed, they back down and you can leave town unharassed.

Real life: (on the phone)
"Yeah, Tom, I'd love to play D&D for a third straight night in a row. Let me just tell my wife....
Dearest wife, I'm going to play D&D tonight, for the third straight night, hope you don't mind!..."

Wife: Delivers a Look that could wither a tree

"Hey, Tom, maybe playing D&D tonight isn't such a good idea."

Real Life:
3 year old to the 4 year old.
"Give me the ball"
4 year Old" "NO!"
3 Year old, " I'm going to tell on you!"
4 year Old - despite having done nothing wrong - "Fine, take it! I hate you!" (throws ball at 3 year old's face)

No threats of violence. All intimidation checks. Most of the people involved aren't Evil. The second example didn't even require any words.

For the record, the threat of the bouncers is having to leave the bar, where you are presumably having fun. It's not the threat of getting a beating. "If you touch the waitress again, I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

In any case, I'm not trying to convince you. If I were to play a game and you were the DM, I wouldn't bother taking Intimidate as a proficiency. We run different games.

You'll play? Funny that I said "no in-game examples " and you give me two IRL examples.

Glad to know that when my character is someone's wife, my proficiency in Intimidation is going to help me keep my husband and home though. I was always worried about that.

Going to the only in game example you gave.... was that even necessary?

I mean, you told them to leave, and rolled intimidation. With "no threat of violence" I'm wondering what was so intimidating about telling someone to leave. Maybe it was, I don't know, implied that if he kept bothering you there might be violence?

I mean, I'm trying to think of this from any angle I can, but I keep coming back to the question "what if I don't leave" and the only response I can come up with is that there would have been violence. So, what non-violent thing were you intimidating them that you would do if they kept bothering you?

If intimidate is always evil, then Batman is pretty much the epitome of evil. Personally I don't think it is, it depends on intent, how you use it, and on whom.

You know that he is called the "Dark Knight" because using fear and intimidation is not super-heroic, right?

Like, there is a reason Superman usually doesn't stare at people with flaming eyes and tell them that they can talk, or lose a leg, their choice.

And, yet again yet again yet again.

Batman does not intimidate Bane does he? the Joker? Darkseid?

No, Batman intimidates goon number 3. Or maybe Penguin, who isn't a fighter.

So, Batman intimidates people weaker than him. Like I said, repeatedly.

Ok here is one I might very try well against a Lich very shortly in a game I am playing with a way overmatched 4th level party and a Lich .We plan to kill her, not intimidate her but if we fail to kill her our fallback is to intimidate her into letting us live.

We currently have a Lich traveling with our 4th level party (4PCs, 3 NPCs and a shield guardian). We know the location of an artifact the Lich is desperate to find. It is very important to her that she finds said artifact and she has no other leads. For some reason she hasn't (can't?) used detect thoughts or something like that on us (I have no idea why). The party is going to ambush her shortly, we have come up with a plan that has a chance of working. It involves grappling by the shield guardian and silence and beating her to death with missile weapons spells and reach attacks, while she is immobilized inside the silence and can not cast her spells. I would give us a 50-50 chance of suceeding. If we fail though and she breaks out of the silence she could easily kill us. If she gets out of the silence, the minute she is free we know we can't win and have every intention of going from fighting to intimidating her at that point if it happens: "If you kill us you will never find the artifact!"

THAT IS INTIMIDATION. I hope it doesn't come to that, but if it does there was no set up necessary. Is it possible persuasion could work here too (plead for pour lives)? Sure but you talking about a very pissed off Lich at that point and I think it would be more difficult. It is also possible intimidation fails and she wipes us out. It is even possible the DM does not let us roll and she wipes us out.

Yeah, as a DM, I wouldn't let that one fly.

She knows that she needs you alive, but that doesn't mean that she isn't going to make sure you can't try and kill her again.

There wouldn't be a roll in my mind, she would respond "Oh I won't kill you, but you will wish I had." Drop the party to zero, and then do something horrible to them.

I mean, you aren't telling her anything she doesn't already know, she knows she needs you alive.

I do agree that that is leverage, but I definitely see it as more persuasion than threats.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Batman does not intimidate Bane does he? the Joker? Darkseid?

No, Batman intimidates goon number 3. Or maybe Penguin, who isn't a fighter.

So, Batman intimidates people weaker than him. Like I said, repeatedly.
I'd say batman intimidates and threatens villians quite often, they just have very little reason to care.

Joker knows batman won't kill him and if he does, Joker wins. Bane isn't the smartest person in the rogue's gallery but he has his pride and the fact that he has already broken the batman before probably dispels most fear from the dark knight. Darkseid thinks he's almighty so he isn't going to fear batman.

Batman actually doesn't intimidate goon 3 unless goon 3 has information and it would be quick and convenient to get it from him. Otherwise, goon 3 is just as injured as goon 1&2.

You'll play? Funny that I said "no in-game examples " and you give me two IRL examples.

I mean, you aren't going to convince me there aren't ways to use intimidate that don't rely on violence. I gave you two more above that you missed. I'll stop though. Your last post was very intimidating and I don't want to continue any more.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I'd say batman intimidates and threatens villians quite often, they just have very little reason to care.

Joker knows batman won't kill him and if he does, Joker wins. Bane isn't the smartest person in the rogue's gallery but he has his pride and the fact that he has already broken the batman before probably dispels most fear from the dark knight. Darkseid thinks he's almighty so he isn't going to fear batman.

Batman actually doesn't intimidate goon 3 unless goon 3 has information and it would be quick and convenient to get it from him. Otherwise, goon 3 is just as injured as goon 1&2.

Minor quibble

Bane is supposed to be incredibly intelligent. Supposedly he has gotten less so from continued drug use, but he is supposed to be a genius level intellect.

But, this is my point. Batman intimidates the Joker, and nothing happens. The Joker doesn't fear him, so it won't work as a skill. The same thing happens in DnD in, frankly, a lot of cases.

I mean, you aren't going to convince me there aren't ways to use intimidate that don't rely on violence. I gave you two more above that you missed. I'll stop though. Your last post was very intimidating and I don't want to continue any more.

LOL,

Are you referring to this?

"I'm sorry, but trying to woo the Lord's daughter is useless. She's way out of your league. There's no way the Lord would allow you, a commoner, to marry her.

"Oh, so you're also applying for the position of Wizard 'X''s apprentice? Yeah, I spent 10 years doing research in >>super specific, technical arcane language.<< Oh, you didn't understand what I'm talking about...maybe you're not cut out for this?

The last would be Intimidate modified by INT. Both are being used to Intimidate the person and get them to drop out of the 'competition'. "

I thought this was one example to be honest, and it was confusing. If it was meant to be two, that makes a bit more sense.

Okay, I can see the point of the second example. Intimidating someone by making them feel inferior in skill set to you.

Not sure what the first one is supposed to be though. Are we the noble or the commoner? I guess if the idea is "our social class is too different" that sort of works?

I guess I'm used to seeing that tactic used as a belittlement of the other person, a dismissal of them, but not so much as an intimidation of them. I can see the angle of it though. Okay, I can see using your prestige and position to enforce social norms on someone.

Pretty high level use though isn't it? I don't mean the noble title, that can happen anytime, but if you want to say use your prestige as a group, "Oh, we are the Crimson Blades, who are you?" You do sort of need to be powerful and famous for that to work.

auburn2

Adventurer
Yeah, as a DM, I wouldn't let that one fly.

She knows that she needs you alive, but that doesn't mean that she isn't going to make sure you can't try and kill her again.

There wouldn't be a roll in my mind, she would respond "Oh I won't kill you, but you will wish I had." Drop the party to zero, and then do something horrible to them.

I mean, you aren't telling her anything she doesn't already know, she knows she needs you alive.

I do agree that that is leverage, but I definitely see it as more persuasion than threats.
To be clear I would be intimidating her into not killing me/us ... and my DM may not let it fly either .... she might say to hell with the artifact you're dead.

If there is no roll and she does not kill us then all that means is it is an easy intimidation - i.e. an automatic intimidation. "make you wish I had" does not mean it failed, that would be her trying to intimidate us into not attacking her again after it succeeds and she spares us .... it might work for her or we might go down in a blaze of glory, and she has to consider that as a possibility .... just like we are considering the possibility that the ambush fails. The only certainty here is if our ambush fails she CAN kill us easily, and we will almost certainly not get another opportunity to ambush her. The rest of it is role play.

Agree she knows - and that is the key, she knows she won't get what she wants (artifact) if she doesn't do what we demand (let us live) ....just like the Phylactery Lich won't get what he wants (continued existance) unless he does what we want. Maybe she can't abide such insolence, and even if the DM allows it once, at some point she certainly won't abide it any more if we tried to push this line but we do have leverage over her and we will try to use it.

Persuasion would be "please don't kill us we can still help you" .... that is fundamentally different than threatening her and like I said it might also work.

Last edited:

Asisreo

Patron Badass
But, this is my point. Batman intimidates the Joker, and nothing happens. The Joker doesn't fear him, so it won't work as a skill. The same thing happens in DnD in, frankly, a lot of cases.
I don't think many NPC's in D&D consider death "winning" and doesn't care if the PC's kill them. Joker is definitely an exception.

But the head honchos can't really show fear to begin with unless they're by themselves or something. Penguin, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy all look fearless against batman when they aren't making tender love to the pavement under batman's heel. But when they are actually feeling pain, they start to budge about where the bombs are located.

Maybe you can have a failed intimidation check re-attempt if you do damage to them.

Remove ads