D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

Not really. Those planes have specific meanings in D&D. The Abyss and the 9 Hells are not interchangeable. I'm a little confused why Takhisis, the Queen of the Abyss, is living on a plane in the 9 Hells where, as an Abyssal being, she should be up to her neck in Devils trying to kill her for being an enemy in the Blood War.

The Devils and Demons usually try and avoid evil Gods when fighting the blood war if the God in question isn't actively fighting the war, its a waste of troops who get slaughtered fighting something they can't kill, for no blood war advantage.

I'll add, this is a fairly big retcon. Chronepsis and Aasterinian were previously consider deities of their own, Chronepsis as the god of death and undeath, and Aasterinian of humor, inventiveness, and pleasure. It seems like this change is to make Bahamut and Tiamat as the only true dragon gods, while other have ascended to the very powerful Great Wyrm status which is short of that.

Ashardalon I'm fairly certain was never a god, but I guess he's so iconic they've put him in Great Wyrm status. Dragotha better make the cut too!

Not a fan of demoting these Dragon Gods, But I suspect like the Ravenqueen not being a God in FR, but still being a God in Exandria and Nareth it will be setting dependant, this new lore suggests how they could be Gods in some setting and merely Great Wyrms in others.

Honestly, in the way Wyatt described it, it sounds like the difference between "great wyrm" and "deity" isn't terribly great. Perhaps nothing more than semantics for some cases for the most powerful great wyrms. I'm really curious to see how this is all set forth in the book...

There is an important difference, Gods in D&D, FR, GK, and PS specifically, grant spells to Divine Spellcasters and afterlives to their worshippers, Great Wyrms don't, or at least in previous editions they didn't.

Anyways I hope a Dracomaticon is one of the maguc items in the book.

Last edited:

Presumably because she's Lawful Evil, and that's the Lawful Evil plane.
5E is weird in that she's been described as both Lawful Evil and Chaotic Evil. The Forgotten Realms wiki even lists it as such (while also noting prior editions have had her as solidly Lawful Evil). Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes even describes her as a force of chaos in a plane of law and speculates that the Lawful Evil abishai devils are her jailors.

Remove ads

Remove ads