D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Them what are calling Primes berks might not know as much as they imagine. Not a big fan of the 90's Planescape prose style and forced Cockney slang, but that doesn't take away from the appeal of a shared cosmology for some of us. Which is equally gnorable.
Why should your preference for shared universes force every D&D world to be part of it?

Eberron doesn’t need to be in any way connected to the Great Wheel in order for you to have you shared universe where FR, Exandria, Greyhawk, and your homebrew setting, are all part of the same Great Wheel.

If you can’t see how the basic nature of Eberron is changed by it being a little bubble hiding within the Great Wheel, rather than an entire cosmology of its own, then we aren’t going to ever see eye to eye on this.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The setting material changes. I’m not going to cooperate with pretending that doesn’t matter. 🤷‍♂️
WotC not only haven't conducted any forced book burnings of older Eberron lore, they are selling it via Print on Demand if you want another copy. The books themselves make it plain that the DM can shape their own world as they see fit. They have a standard, but that's just a suggestion. It literally doesn't matter.

StarFyre

Explorer
Come to think of it, did 5E introduce the concept of Tiamat being imprisoned in Avernus as opposed to just having her lair there? I'll admit I mostly know of Tiamat from 4E's default setting, where she was in a completely different plane and warred with another god for dominance. I know at least that in 1E Tiamat was in charge of Avernus herself (I think).
Yes iirc I believe so. She is the most powerful being on that plane although bel (or whomever in lore is the current archdevil on the level) does more for the blood war etc. The arch devil goes to tiamat with favors for her children, evil dragons to help and in dragon magazine in the 90s it stated her most powerful child, can't spell it but Mordukavar the reaver has joined battles leading dragons and devils in the blood war as well as other missions tiamat requests. The reaver made an appearance in my campaign. I still want to find a way to do a good to scale model for it. Iirc 300 ft long

Sf

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Why should your preference for shared universes force every D&D world to be part of it?

Eberron doesn’t need to be in any way connected to the Great Wheel in order for you to have you shared universe where FR, Exandria, Greyhawk, and your homebrew setting, are all part of the same Great Wheel.

If you can’t see how the basic nature of Eberron is changed by it being a little bubble hiding within the Great Wheel, rather than an entire cosmology of its own, then we aren’t going to ever see eye to eye on this.
Eberron does not have a basic nature: it's a spice rack of ideas to be mined, in part or in whole. Same as everything else in D&D. There is no "should" or "shouldn't" or ethical imperative dictated by a metaphysical truth of Eberron. Keith Baker spins out three completely alternate takes on every aspect about the Setting every time he discusses it, to show how the ingredients can he mixed and baked at home.

Remove ads

Remove ads