D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

Why should your preference for shared universes force every D&D world to be part of it?

Eberron doesn’t need to be in any way connected to the Great Wheel in order for you to have you shared universe where FR, Exandria, Greyhawk, and your homebrew setting, are all part of the same Great Wheel.

If you can’t see how the basic nature of Eberron is changed by it being a little bubble hiding within the Great Wheel, rather than an entire cosmology of its own, then we aren’t going to ever see eye to eye on this.
What if they want Eberron to be connected to the wheel? There is nothing wrong with that. Just like there’re is nothing wrong with there not even being a great wheel. I mean I think a very small fraction of players really have any interaction with the great wheel or outer planes at all. In fact, I can’t remember the last time we discussed the “cosmolgy” in the games I’ve played in.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don’t see; however, if care to explain please do. Thanks!
I think it has to do with being official. The problem with that is, a setting is essentially official optional rules. If I don't opt into Spelljammer, there are no flying space ships to take me from Oerth to Krynn. If I don't opt into Planescape, there's nothing upending the isolated cosmologies that are a part of Krynn and Dark Sun. The existence of a setting that I'm not using has as much impact on my game as an official optional rule like Grim and Gritty that I'm not using. None at all.

New settings don't change the defaults of the game or other settings you have opted into unless you choose to opt into the new one as well.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think it has to do with being official. The problem with that is, a setting is essentially official optional rules. If I don't opt into Spelljammer, there are no flying space ships to take me from Oerth to Krynn. If I don't opt into Planescape, there's nothing upending the isolated cosmologies that are a part of Krynn and Dark Sun. The existence of a setting that I'm not using has as much impact on my game as an official optional rule like Grim and Gritty that I'm not using. None at all.

New settings don't change the defaults of the game or other settings you have opted into unless you choose to opt into the new one as well.
I certainly understand not liking something, and making something official does sort of codify it as the expectation when other players are encountered, which could be annoying if it is a strong dislike for the fdefault flavor. But it's a game about pretending to be Elf Wizards in the final analysis, ya know? Different strokes, and the only "should" for WotC on the point is "maximize shareholder value."

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I certainly understand not liking something, and making something official does sort of codify it as the expectation when other players are encountered, which could be annoying if it is a strong dislike for the fdefault flavor. But it's a game about pretending to be Elf Wizards in the final analysis, ya know? Different strokes, and the only "should" for WotC on the point is "maximize shareholder value."
Making something official does change expectations, but there's a difference between official rules in the PHB and DMG and officially optional like settings and optional rules.

Why should your preference for shared universes force every D&D world to be part of it?
Why should your preference for separate settings prevent me from having a unified cosmology? It goes both ways.

The great thing is that doesn’t matter what is in the books. We can run our games however we want. I am sure if Krynn and Eberron were separate from the D&D multiverse he would make it so they where part of it. in fact he has already done so with the MtG planes and that is not canon (yet). And you know what, that has had 0 effect on our games.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
WotC not only haven't conducted any forced book burnings of older Eberron lore, they are selling it via Print on Demand if you want another copy. The books themselves make it plain that the DM can shape their own world as they see fit. They have a standard, but that's just a suggestion. It literally doesn't matter.
That's not quite fair.

While I am in the middle of this topic, when WotC changes settings it creates feedback from players and their assumptions. Especially anyone new to your group or just met.

This feedback isn't a showstopper, the DM's world is what it is and WotC will not burn our settings for violating canon, but it creates a resistance, a pushback. It has inertia, and sometimes a DM may get tired of consistently running headlong into an assumption.

Now that's on the DM for creating a world that defies some expectations. But some expectations gather weight in the community, and to say "It literally doesn't matter" while true, isn't seeing the implications.

IMHO.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Yes iirc I believe so. She is the most powerful being on that plane although bel (or whomever in lore is the current archdevil on the level) does more for the blood war etc. The arch devil goes to tiamat with favors for her children, evil dragons to help and in dragon magazine in the 90s it stated her most powerful child, can't spell it but Mordukavar the reaver has joined battles leading dragons and devils in the blood war as well as other missions tiamat requests. The reaver made an appearance in my campaign. I still want to find a way to do a good to scale model for it. Iirc 300 ft long

Sf
Here is where I for one, run into "incorrect expectations" but I consider it a plus.

Tiamat is the Sumerian force of chaos (as in the unformed beginning, not randomness) and creation, she is more powerful than nearly anything else. The only way any other gods get their way is to flatter her or gang up on her.

That aside, she is NOT imprisoned on the 1st pane of Hell, she lairs there to keep Asmodeus/Ahriman imprisoned. (secret reasons)

So when my players think "Oh Tiamat, not even a god, blah blah blah", they may be making a grave mistake.

StarFyre

Explorer
In fact, I can’t remember the last time we discussed the “cosmolgy” in the games I’ve played in.
Considering the survey results tell wotc/Hasbro that few players go above like 12 or 14th level (forgot which), how many campaigns are truly getting to the point where cosmological, where gods live, can they die, what happens if we try and combine these two planes etc actually matter. I guess players could ask via their characters to some npc they meet but do the game events warrant that? I'm fairly certain the next question after even the avernus adventure isn't "where did the planes actually come from or how did the world's form" etc...

Sf

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
WotC not only haven't conducted any forced book burnings of older Eberron lore, they are selling it via Print on Demand if you want another copy. The books themselves make it plain that the DM can shape their own world as they see fit. They have a standard, but that's just a suggestion. It literally doesn't matter.

You are correct on this point, however. And that's fine, different strokes, and this seriously, for real doesn't matter.
Constantly telling someone that a thing they care about doesn’t matter is one of the most condescending, dismissing, just generally crappy, things I’ve seen you do in the whole time I’ve been on these forums.

You and I are done interacting for now.

Remove ads

Remove ads