D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The 5-headed chromatic mother of Evil dragons goddess Takhisis was meant to be different from the 5-headed chromatic mother of Evil dragons archdevil Tiamat, both look identical, and it was just a retcon to identify them together? Somehow I really doubt that.
It probably varied from table to table, originally.

Aaron L

Hero
It probably varied from table to table, originally.
I can imagine that, but it seems an unnecessary complication. And would imagine that most tables assumed they were the same, just as we did.

The Platinum Dragon, champion of Good, father of the Metallic Dragons, and the 5-headed mother of Evil chromatic dragons... now quick, did I just describe Paladine and Takhisis, or Bahamut and Tiamat?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I can imagine that, but it seems an unnecessary complication. And would imagine that most tables assumed they were the same, just as we did.

The Platinum Dragon, champion of Good, father of the Metallic Dragons, and the 5-headed mother of Evil chromatic dragons... now quick, did I just describe Paladine and Takhisis, or Bahamut and Tiamat?
You are right.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The 5-headed chromatic mother of Evil dragons goddess Takhisis was meant to be different from the 5-headed chromatic mother of Evil dragons archdevil Tiamat, both look identical, and it was just a retcon to identify them together? Somehow I really doubt that.
Doubt all you want. But, yes, a unique dragon (that had 128 hp) that is treated as a lesser goddess (in D&DG) is the same thing as a greater goddess with 999 hp that does 1-1000 points of damage on a hit.

Remove ads

Remove ads