D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

Stormonu

Legend
Also, isn’t Tiamat based in Hell (Guardian of the Gate of Avernus), and Takahisis trapped in the Abyss during the War of the Lance (with a primary plot point she was trying to get the door reopened back to the Mortal Plane)?

Also, isn’t Tiamat based in Hell (Guardian of the Gate of Avernus), and Takahisis trapped in the Abyss during the War of the Lance (with a primary plot point she was trying to get the door reopened back to the Mortal Plane)?
I recall reading somewhere that the idea Takhisis was trapped in the Abyss wasn't actually true and that the people of the Dragonlance setting are ignorant about the nature of the planes.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
While the plane was consistently referred to as "The Abyss," virtually all of the game materials said it was The Nine Hells/Baator, e.g. page 116 of the "World Book of Ansalon" in the Tales of the Lance (affiliate link) boxed set.

However, apparently Hickman and Weis themselves have been on record saying that they oppose the idea of Tiamat being Takhisis or the world of Krynn existing in the same multiverse as other D&D settings. WotC at least has been consistent in 5E that every setting is in the same multiverse, going back to the 2E conception (whereas 3E and 4E had different settings in their own multiverses whose planes could differ from those of other multiverses).

My approach has been that Paladine and Takhisis, as Greater Powers, are the core identities. Bahamut and Tiamat as Lesser Powers are essentially avatars of the greater that more or less took on a life of their own. The interesting implication with that approach is that the deities are for some reason most focused on Krynn (of the commonly known worlds) in their true forms, while the rest of the multiverse just gets their weaker aspects.

I’ll have to see if what they present in the book is something more interesting than that but that doesn’t contradict the way I’ve been doing it, or if its something completely new and contradictory (like the elven afterlife cycle in MToF, or the Faerunian cosmology in 3e), in which case my attitude is generally that some people believe it in character, but it‘s wrong.

Bolares

Hero
There's multiple versions of Vecna, Nerull, the Raven Queen and other iconic gods and godlikes
Makes sense there's be multiple Bahaumats and Tiamats

Bahaumat and Paladine are both fingers of the same glove, different and separate yet one
Yeah, in my Eberron the Daughter of Khyber is Tiamat, but not the same Tiamat that is trapped in avernus. An alternate version of the same primordial entity or something like it

Remove ads

Remove ads