D&D 5E Is Paladine Bahamut? Is Takhisis Tiamat? Fizban's Treasury Might Reveal The Answer!

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form. Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from...

According to WotC's James Wyatt, Fizban's Treasury of Dragons introduces a new cosmology for dragon gods, where the same beings, including Fizban, echo across various D&D campaign settings with alternate versions of themselves (presumably like Paladine/Bahamut, or Takhisis/Tiamat). Also... the various version can merge into one single form.

Takhisis is the five-headed dragon god of evil from the Dragonlance setting. Paladine is the platinum dragon god of good (and also Fizban's alter-ego).

Takhisis.jpg

Additionally, the book will contain psychic gem dragons, with stats for all four age categories of the five varieties (traditionally there are Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, and Topaz), plus Dragonborn characters based on metallic, chromatic, and gem dragons.

Bolares

Hero
The thing is, there's no more canon in D&D anymore. It's the wild west now, and every DM is a homesteader. The ideas in Mordenkainen's are just that. If you dont like them (I dont care for it myself) there's no authority forcing anyone to use them.
Was there ever someone forcing us to use anything? People give way to much importance to what perkins said about canon...

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
If Eberron is not a part of the First World, it is also not a part of Corellon's creations. That's how I read it.
Not the point. The point is that the progenitors looked at the children of Corellon, and copied them to populate parts of Thelanis. A derivative work. It lessens what the progenitors are in the setting, and makes everything in it secondary to the great wheel.
We have one book that says Elves in general are Corellon's cration, and now we have two books that specifically mention Eberron as being apart from that. Not only we have more sources saying this, both of them specifically mention Eberron, while Mordenkainen's is broad and general. I for one rack up the Mordenkainen's text as lazy writing that didn't worry about specific settings.
Except the Eberron book states that Eberron is part of the great wheel, just a closed off part, and Fizbans states that Eberron is a “second generation” derivative work.

dave2008

Legend
Not the point. The point is that the progenitors looked at the children of Corellon, and copied them to populate parts of Thelanis. A derivative work. It lessens what the progenitors are in the setting, and makes everything in it secondary to the great wheel.
Well, mythology tells what comes 2nd often outshines what comes first. Not a bad thing to be 2nd really.
Except the Eberron book states that Eberron is part of the great wheel, just a closed off part, and Fizbans states that Eberron is a “second generation” derivative work.
And neither are correct - that is what is great about it!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Well, mythology tells what comes 2nd often outshines what comes first. Not a bad thing to be 2nd really.
Which has nothing at all to do with how the change impacts the basic nature of the Eberron cosmology, making it inherently secondary to the Great Wheel.
And neither are correct - that is what is great about it!
The Eberron book is correct when running Eberron. Other books may be optional, though they still very much determine how the community in general views a thing, but the Eberron book is canon when running Eberron. I may not be beholden to canon, but it still exists, and is what new players read when they check out the setting.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Here's the full thing.
DFG9tvw.png

Which worlds do they mention in this section? I'm curious as to which worlds they may be hinting at for the future.

I'll add, I think Dragonlance's stock has gone up, as Fizban's seems pretty comfortable talking about that setting (and even has art for it!)

Remove ads

Remove ads