• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is poker a "fun" game, or is it just for gambling?

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Sebastian Francis said:
That's what I'm asking about. Is the gambling the fun part of poker? Or is the game just fun all by itself, with or without gambling?

For example, it might be fun to play chess for money (as many do), and might be fun to bet $100.00 on the outcome of a chess game, but chess is a fun game with or without gambling.

Is poker the same way? Or is it a vehicle to gamble?

Poker is fun without gambling money, but there is no point to playing poker unless you are betting.

Wonger

First Post
In order for poker to work, you must gamble something, even if it is chips with no value attached, or peanuts, or play money in an online poker room. If you just want to mess around and experiment with the game, this can be quite fun, especially with friends.

However, if you want to truly enjoy the finer aspects of the game, you would be hard pressed to not play for some non-insignificant amount of money. That makes people weigh their bets carefully, and play smart - which makes the competition a lot more fun. Just like 20th level fighters vs orcs will get old quick while great wyrm dragons will provide more fun and entertainment, the better competition there is, the more fun I find the game.

The beauty is that "non-insignificant" can mean whatever you want, so long as all of the players you are with define it the same way. If you are playing with nickel dime quarter and that's the stakes everyone at the table likes, it will be fun. If you are playing for $100 buy in's and that's the stakes that everyone at the table likes, it will be fun.

I think the popularity of no-limit texas hold 'em is largely due to that everyone puts in a small amount to potentially win a big amount. For instance, I'll play in $20 buy in tournaments with 10 people. That means there is $200 at stake, and all I'm risking is my $20. That $20 get's me a couple hours of gaming regardless of whether I win, but since you could win $200, everyone plays hard and the competition is great.

Sebastian Francis

First Post
Wonger said:
In order for poker to work, you must gamble something, even if it is chips with no value attached, or peanuts, or play money in an online poker room. If you just want to mess around and experiment with the game, this can be quite fun, especially with friends.

However, if you want to truly enjoy the finer aspects of the game, you would be hard pressed to not play for some non-insignificant amount of money.

This is what I had suspected, that a large part of the appeal of poker was in betting "real" money rather than just chips. :)

Starman

Adventurer
d20Dwarf said:
This is it, right there. And I have a lot of fun playing poker down at the bar twice a week, even though we're playing for pool coupons and appetizers. The game is challenging, exciting, and fun. In fact, to me, it's the ultimate game because it involves mathematics, creativity, and competition.

What!? [Insert your favorite RPG] isn't the ultimate game? Blasphemer!

I do enjoy poker, especially Texas Hold 'Em. And, yes, playing with real money does add a certain edge to the game.

Starman

DMScott

First Post
Sebastian Francis said:
That's what I'm asking about. Is the gambling the fun part of poker? Or is the game just fun all by itself, with or without gambling?

As I said, I'm sure there are people who have fun with poker without any stakes involved. You'd have to pick the right set of rules, I expect, since much of poker strategy involves trying to control who stays in until the showdown, and I'd imagine the audience wouldn't overlap much with those who do enjoy the gambling. But I'm sure it's done, I've known people who played similar sorts of games.

I'd be willing to bet (ahem) that those who enjoyed gambling-free poker wouldn't enjoy the gambling-included version, and vice versa.

Sebastian Francis said:
For example, it might be fun to play chess for money (as many do), and might be fun to bet $100.00 on the outcome of a chess game, but chess is a fun game with or without gambling.

That's not a good example IMHO, because in either case the gambling isn't integral to how you play chess. A better example would be blitz chess vs. untimed games. It's a fun game either way, but a lot of people who enjoy blitz chess aren't that fond of timed games and vice versa because the actual gameplay is very different between the two.

Impeesa

Explorer
This is a good question. Let's ask David Williams, a pro Magic player who went to the World Series of Poker. He finished second, won a few million dollars, and has apparently gone back to playing Magic because it's more fun. ;)

--Impeesa--

Ranger REG

Explorer
Sebastian Francis said:
Is this true of poker as well? Do people ever play poker for fun, with no money on the line? Or is it just a game for gambling?
Well, it can be fun, especially if you're betting on clothes. :lol:

But I'm guessing it is not a game you won't let your granny join in, unless your granny turns out like Bo Derek or Cheryl Ladd.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Impeesa said:
This is a good question. Let's ask David Williams, a pro Magic player who went to the World Series of Poker. He finished second, won a few million dollars, and has apparently gone back to playing Magic because it's more fun. ;)

--Impeesa--
Hmmm, just a month or so ago he finished 2nd at the Borgata Open (Josh Arieh was 3rd, just like the WSoP, but Negreanu won the event). So, if he has "gone back to Magic" he still doesn't seem to mind picking up a few hundred thousand on the felt from time to time. ;)

Impeesa

Explorer
Well, never mind then. ;) He did say something to that effect during interviews after his big near-win, though.

--Impeesa--

reapersaurus

Explorer
I think it's pretty obvious that poker is more a gambling game, than just a game for "fun".
That's the way I see it.

Further, I think it's a pretty poor game if only played just for "fun".
There are a bazillion better games better designed for it.

I have recently become fascinated how so many "normal people" think it's OK to spend a night playing poker with their pals, or playing Bunco with the girls, or playing Bingo, etc - yet in my strong opinion those are all very weak games to hold a group's attention and result in far less gaming satisfaction than so many other games (RPG's included), yet the "normal people" think playing those other (incalculably better IMO) games is a weird thing for someone to do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads