D&D General Is power creep bad?

Is power creep, particularly in D&D, a bad thing?

• More power is always better (or why steroids were good for baseball)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Power creep is fun when you also boost the old content

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • Meh, whatever

Votes: 23 17.7%
  • I'd rather they stick to a base power level, but its still playable

Votes: 36 27.7%
  • Sweet Mary, mother of God, why? (or why are there apples and cinnamon in my oatmeal?)

Votes: 23 17.7%
  • Other, I'll explain.

Votes: 11 8.5%

The only way to avoid power creep is to either

a) introduce no new options (boring)
b) introduce new options which are inferior in every way to currently existing options, and only differentiated by a different narrative gloss (also boring)
c) make something that introduces an entirely new concept, that doesn't conflict or challenge any pre-existing concept (better, but much more difficult, and becoming near impossible as options proliferate).

Power creep also causes supplement treadmills, increasing complexity, and then a need to reboot with new editions to clear the decks. I'm a fan of all those things!
d) introduce new options which are stronger than existing ones in some fields, while being weaker in others, and on average approach roughly the existing options.

delericho

Legend
Don't wizards have the fewest new subclasses for exactly that reason?
Possibly. That, and that they have the most in the PHB.

However, adding subclasses isn't the only new option that can be added to a class - indeed, since you can only ever have one subclass, it's one of the less significant. For full casters, in particular, adding new spells is a key source of power creep, and WotC haven't exactly been shy about adding those.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
The only way to avoid power creep is to either

a) introduce no new options (boring)
b) introduce new options which are inferior in every way to currently existing options, and only differentiated by a different narrative gloss (also boring)
c) make something that introduces an entirely new concept, that doesn't conflict or challenge any pre-existing concept (better, but much more difficult, and becoming near impossible as options proliferate).

Power creep also causes supplement treadmills, increasing complexity, and then a need to reboot with new editions to clear the decks. I'm a fan of all those things!
Even (c) isn't a magic bullet, because of the intense antipathy for adding certain kinds of genuinely distinct content to the game. There's a vocal minority with a burning, passionate opposition to adding new classes, for example, despite classes being one of the better vehicles for adding legitimately distinct methods or approaches in play.

But, as noted, I think this is conflating "any change ever that adds (good) stuff" with "power creep." Some increases in power or versatility can be positive, and people use "power creep" pretty clearly as a pejorative.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Power creep is only an issue if the table you're playing at thinks its an issue.

In practice over the decades I've found power creep to be more of a problem in the abstract than actually in play at the table.

I find complexity creep to be more of a problem than power creep. Adding new mechanics to the game bringing more complexity and eventually having the game collapse under its own weight. For example, 3e's expansions IMO suffered far more from complexity creep than power creep in my actual play experience at the table.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way

However, adding subclasses isn't the only new option that can be added to a class - indeed, since you can only ever have one subclass, it's one of the less significant. For full casters, in particular, adding new spells is a key source of power creep, and WotC haven't exactly been shy about adding those.
Yeah, I was gonna say, casters actually have several axes on which they can manifest power creep, and one—spells—gets dramatically less criticism than any other axis regardless of class/archetype affected. Spells are, in fact, the largest form of (legit, actual) power creep in 5e.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
d) introduce new options which are stronger than existing ones in some fields, while being weaker in others, and on average approach roughly the existing options.
If a new option has any aspect to it that's stronger than a currently existing option, than it's almost certainly power creep, because that strength can be leveraged into combinations with other feats/races/magic items/etc. to exceed current boundaries.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

True, but spells are cool and usually belong to multiple classes (even if wizards usually get access to nearly all of them).

And even if you're right about how not important new subclasses are, clearly WotC disagrees. There are many, many possible wizard subclasses that don't exist "officially" because WotC is using number of subclasses as a power metric.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Yes it's me again
And I'm back
Oh I, oh I, oh I, yeah
Oh I, oh I, oh I, baby
Oh I, oh I, oh I, yeah

The 22nd level and we've been through so many modules
I love my DM with all honesty, but I know he's cheating me
I look him in his eyes but all he tells me is lies to keep me nerfed
I'll never leave him down
Though I might mess around
It's only 'cause I need some power affection

So I creep, yeah, just keep it on the down low
Said nobody is supposed to know
So I creep, yeah, cause DM doesn't know what I do
And no attention goes to show, oh so I creep
This man, he gets it.

delericho

Legend
Power creep is only an issue if the table you're playing at thinks its an issue.
That's not entirely true. Monsters and adventures created later in the edition are built assuming PCs built using the same vintage of rules sources - including any power creep that has occurred.

Meaning that a group new to the game, who have wisely decided to start with the core rules, are liable to get a nasty shock when they come up against these things. This was particularly evident with the late-3e Adventure Paths in Dungeon magazine, which were really quite lethal for Core Rules-only PCs.

Remove ads