D&D (2024) Is the 5E player base going to split?

It isn't that they can't, it is that they should expect some attrition. They should also, hopefully, elicit feedback and if enough people feel a certain way, adjust their design.
People who will purchase the 2024 revision
  • some % of core fans, either people who just purchase everything or most everything dnd, or because they like the revisions ("finally, a good ranger!" etc)
  • new players: after 2024, the new core books will be the version available for purchase, and thus the main audience for these books are not existing players, but new ones

People who will not purchase the 2024 books
  • existing casual players who at most currently own a phb. This is a large segment of the player base. For example in my group, maybe half of the players actually own a phb, and I'm probably the only one who has a few other books. These players may very well end up playing with the revised rules, but only because the invested members (e.g. the DM) will have bought the new version
  • core fans who are unhappy or unimpressed with the (probably minimal) revisions

In sum: the main audience is a) brand new players and b) existing DMs.

I think it is pretty common a reasonable for people to feel a little put out when they realize the thing they have loved is changing in a way that makes it not that thing anymore. it doesn't mean that person is demanding anything. It's just an expression of grief or frustration or disappointment.

Sure...but it is a bit curious with something as low tech as a ttrpg. As you mention, there are people happily playing OD&D, Basic, 1e-4e, which is easy to do because all you need are your old books, which are still available in a variety of formats. I mean, every few years apple introduces new ports on their computers, which means that you have to get dongles for all your peripheral devices (and eventually new devices). Or, entire software platforms disappear or change in a way that makes it so that you have to spent a ton of time migrating all your data elsewhere. Comparatively, a ttrpg edition change is not much of an inconvenience.

Reynard

Legend
Sure...but it is a bit curious with something as low tech as a ttrpg. As you mention, there are people happily playing OD&D, Basic, 1e-4e, which is easy to do because all you need are your old books, which are still available in a variety of formats. I mean, every few years apple introduces new ports on their computers, which means that you have to get dongles for all your peripheral devices (and eventually new devices). Or, entire software platforms disappear or change in a way that makes it so that you have to spent a ton of time migrating all your data elsewhere. Comparatively, a ttrpg edition change is not much of an inconvenience.
And there you go being dismissive. "Yeah, sure, people feel that way... But they shouldn't."

I don't think we should tell people how to feel about things. Let them be mad, or upset, or sad, without telling them.whst you think about how they feel.

I have said this before but I think it bears repeating: role playing is an intimate hobby. You share your fantasies with other people. As such, it elicits more intense feelings than other hobbies and interests. It's worth noting that when we drift from judging games to judging the people playing them.

And just to be clear: I'm not one of those people that is sad or angry or frustrated in this case, but I have been with other editions or other games.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
People who will purchase the 2024 revision
  • some % of core fans, either people who just purchase everything or most everything dnd, or because they like the revisions ("finally, a good ranger!" etc)
  • new players: after 2024, the new core books will be the version available for purchase, and thus the main audience for these books are not existing players, but new ones

People who will not purchase the 2024 books
  • existing casual players who at most currently own a phb. This is a large segment of the player base. For example in my group, maybe half of the players actually own a phb, and I'm probably the only one who has a few other books. These players may very well end up playing with the revised rules, but only because the invested members (e.g. the DM) will have bought the new version
  • core fans who are unhappy or unimpressed with the (probably minimal) revisions

In sum: the main audience is a) brand new players and b) existing DMs.

Actually, all you need are your old books, and people willing to play with you using them.

And there you go being dismissive. "Yeah, sure, people feel that way... But they shouldn't."

I don't think we should tell people how to feel about things. Let them be mad, or upset, or sad, without telling them.whst you think about how they feel.
I'm simply making a claim: it's not difficult to play whatever edition of a ttrpg you like, and that will still be true in the future, in part because ttrpgs are so low tech. As players, we are much less reliant on the company producing the game than, say, video game players who have to depend on companies hosting servers, or hardware changes, or any number of other things that would make it impossible for them to play their game.

JEB

Legend
Wel, they are doing something with the free online Monsters. Maybe do free online Compendiums, and do illustrated collection books full of popularly used Mosnters. Who knows. But they are not limited.by traditional models.
I have a strong suspicion that subsequent volumes of the new Monstrous Compendium may not be free; just this first one, to get people hooked.

Reynard

Legend
I'm simply making a claim: it's not difficult to play whatever edition of a ttrpg you like, and that will still be true in the future, in part because ttrpgs are so low tech. As players, we are much less reliant on the company producing the game than, say, video game players who have to depend on companies hosting servers, or hardware changes, or any number of other things that would make it impossible for them to play their game.
Maybe, but players are reliant on companies to produce new official content and network externalities are a real thing in relation to finding groups.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I have a strong suspicion that subsequent volumes of the new Monstrous Compendium may not be free; just this first one, to get people hooked.
They did say the series would.be free, but didn't give specifics beyond they would do more, and they would be free.

JEB

Legend
They did say the series would.be free, but didn't give specifics beyond they would do more, and they would be free.
Right, they're kind of vague about it - you get access to the digital MC, the first volume is free, there will be other free stuff (like the Spelljammer adventure)... but until MC Volume 2 arrives I wouldn't assume the whole stack will be free.

Remove ads