D&D 5E Is the imbalance between classes in 5e accidental or by design?

Which of these do you believe is closer to the truth?

• Any imbalance between the classes is accidental

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Any imbalance between the classes is on purpose

Votes: 49 43.0%

• Poll closed .

Oofta

Legend
to be part of the conversation... again, take part by not trying to dissect the premise.
What do you want me to say? I don't see a major issue. Different classes have different strengths and weaknesses.

What would you say if this was reversed? I can only express my opinion and thoughts on the subject, that's how people usually have a discussion.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod NOte:
Hey @Haplo781 you've already been given a warning about emoji abuse just earlier today. Continuing to abuse them isn't acceptable.

You've just earned yourself a ticket out of the discussion. I recommend you stay away from the emojis for a good long while.

Everyone else - Wheaton's law applies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
::sigh:: never mind. No matter what I say you'll just change the narrative.

If you knew this to be the case, you shouldn't have engaged. Next time, just walk away without making public accusations about how the other person will respond, please.

Which is why I called it out as a poorly worded thread that begs the question. It starts with an opinion stated as fact.

No it didn't.

So, in the recent thread "Are Wizards really all that?", fellow user @ECMO3 claims that:

• Yes, the Wizard is 'all that', it's the most powerful class in the game
  • It was designed that way
  • The game is better like that

Putting aside the first and third statement, we got into a major argument over the second one.

I argued that any imbalance was accidental, that there is nothing in the books to indicate that one class is more powerful than the other, especially not to someone who just picks up the book as a newbie and that if the classes WERE designed to be stronger or weaker than each other, the lack of conveyance is a bad design, and that the CR encounter building system would include adjustments per-class (and that WOTC wouldn't have tried to fix the Ranger multiple time if it was fine that it was weaker). ECMO3 argues that the fluff clearly puts the Wizard above the others (Supreme magic user and all that guff) and, furthermore, anyone can tell from the mechanics, and also that there is no indication in the book that all classes should be considered equal.

It got me curious how the rest of the board falls on this issue, because I've never seen anybody else with the same view as ECMO3

The highlights are mine. @Undrave does not make any assertions of fact, but is merely breaking off a discussion they had been having with @ECMO3. The premise of the discussion is that these are true, because otherwise there is no discussion to be had. If you don't agree that this is a thing, then you're missing the point of the thread, as @Haplo781 and @GMforPowergamers have stated.

Remove ads