D&D 5E Is the map in the Theros book good?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I finished up setting the last quest of my long running campaign in my version of Theros, so I’m naturally intrigued by the new Setting book. But I would like there to be an evocative map to go with it.

Does the book include such a thing? If it does, is it possible to get it as a PDF for printing?

ccs

41st lv DM
I don't know what's in the book, but my local shop got in some sort of plastic map sheet that (they think) is to be given away with the book.
One side had a dungeon & a temple, the other side looked like an overland map. I don't think the land map was overly detailed.

I can't imagine the book doesn't involve a map.

As for a PDF? That'll probably involve some piracy.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
DnDBeyond includes the map, it doesn't appear super detailed in that the map itself doesn't have a lot of features on it. It looks similar to a topographical map and includes the names of various towns and cities as well as a few mountains and things. Far less detailed than the sword coast map for instance.

Edit. I should note that I don't know how high a resolution the map is from DnDBeyond so it may not be suitable for printing.

Last edited:

I have the digital book, I would say that as a piece of art the world map isn't very inspired.

But then the positions of the islands is supposed to be vague and changeable, and the ancient world wasn't known for it's accurate maps in any case.

R_J_K75

Legend
I miss the days of settings coming with a huge wall map like Greyhawk did :)

Me too, honestly I stopped using maps quite awhile ago except for smaller ones that were printed out portions of larger ones. Ones from boxed sets were good for referencing while reading through the content to get a better understanding of what you were reading. As someone pointed out in another thread art and cartography was mostly lost when WotC took over. Honestly I cant recall 1 decent map for 5E yet.

R_J_K75

Legend
The main one (double page spread) which details the North in chapter 3 with all the site descriptors for all the fetch quests and what not.

Its not bad its just imo not very useful if its inside a book and I need to keep flipping back and forth while reading and running the adventure. When they made adventures in softcover most of the times the maps were on the inside covers and just easier to use than hard cover. Not to mention theres just something to be said for a large map you hang on the wall or laminate and leave on the table.

Remove ads