D&D 5E Is the new setting Icewind Dale?

@Birmy pointed out this Reddit comment. And they're selling apparel featuring a snowy owlbear. /

@Birmy pointed out this Reddit comment.

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 9.13.09 PM.png

Add that to the image WotC put out with the upcoming announcement.

cold.png

And they're selling apparel featuring a snowy owlbear.

PO40195275-front2.png
/​

Weiley31

Legend
I mean while I wasn't expecting Icewind Dale as the next book after Theros, I really wouldn't be honestly against it. I can't remember if we got Icewind Dale (not the pc game) in 3.5 or 4E.

I'll have to disagree respectfully on that point. We've gotten essentially nothing on either setting since the 3.x era. They've been allowed to rest for nearly two decades.

Good. They were already boring 30 years ago and I personally hope never get new campaign guides or major adventures. WotC should just sell Dragonlance back to the creators and let Margaret do new books for it from her company.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean while I wasn't expecting Icewind Dale as the next book after Theros, I really wouldn't be honestly against it. I can't remember if we got Icewind Dale (not the pc game) in 3.5 or 4E.

In 5E, we've had Icewind Dale minorly in SCAG and Storm King's Thunder, but during the Next playtest, Legacy of the Crystal Shard was one of the big Adventure products. As was done with Murder in Baldur's Gate, reusing the Legacy of the Crystal Shard Gazeeter material with a new Adventure seems reasonably probable.

Aaron L

Hero
God, I hope Icewind Dale isn't the new "setting." Not because I have anything against Icewind Dale, it's fine, but because it isn't a setting. It's a location within an existing setting, the Forgotten Realms, and the 'Realms has already been exhaustively detailed for decades.

And I would so much prefer to have Greyhawk get a new setting book over a location within an existing setting being sold as a "new setting."

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The Bloodstone Lands (especially Damara) have a climate similar to Alaska and a mountain range on the border. Mix in some environmental pseudo-science to create a plausible reason for dozens of hungry owlbears to show up all over the place. Beginning Adventurers Wanted Soonest!

edit: typos

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads