D&D 4E Is there a "Cliffs Notes" summary of the entire 4E experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pentegarn

First Post
Hey guys,

As I mentioned in another thread I was very active in playing 3E and then "real life" pulled me away from role-playing games from about 2005 until now. I'm really psyched about getting back to D&D and 5E looks like it will be extremely cool. But with regard to 4E it's like I'm coming out of suspended animation and completely missed the entire experience. The announcement, the overall reaction, the sneak peeks, and then of course the actual release of core books and so on. 3rd Edition was so much fun to anticipate through this site and then I had a blast playing both it and 3.5 with my friends.

I see that 4E was polarizing in a number of ways. But can someone give me the "jist" of the whole thing? Or maybe point me to a site that has already broken it down?

Specifically:

1. How did everybody (or most people) here react to the news of a new edition in the first place? Excitement or trepidation? Didn't 3.5 still have a good amount of momentum in 2007? Or were people ready for an overhaul?

2. How impressive were the early sneak peeks? Were people shocked at some of the changes from the get go? Or were people who didn't like the new game mostly blindsided once they picked up the core books?

3. I see that that having the option of playing "Pathfinder" fragmented the fanbase somewhat. Was that a good thing or bad thing for this forum? Or did it have a minimal effect at all?

4. What else was noteworthy about 4E? Was there some product that was particularly awesome or infamous?

If any of my questions trigger memories of frustrating times then that's not what I'm going for. I guess I'm more curious about reading a bit of a forensic breakdown of how the whole thing played out. Just for my own curiosity. Thanks in advance for anyone who indulges me. :)

Cliff Notes? Yeah I can sum it up...
WoW: The Gathering

One of the disappointing things about 4e relative to d20 was that 4e's basic structure and design philosophy could have been used to create a more robust core system, like that of d20, but more adaptable to other genres and the like. Not to the point of being outright generic like Hero, but more than just a collection of games using the same dice-resolution rubric.

Being a long time Hero player (29 years) - One of the things I liked about 4E was that versatility and adaptability. I wanted to play a monk when it first came out. I like hitting things without weapons. The GM gave me a "weapon" - Martial arts - a 1d6, A generic AC that fit with a striker, and I played a Ranger and refluffed all the powers. Twin Strike became Flurry of Blows (keeping the 3rd nomenclature). It worked fine with almost no issues, for the couple of levels I played the character. I got my monk right away.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
My objection to this "everyone's to blame" storyline is this:

WotC published a game. There was plenty of previews to tell us what it would be like, and when I bought it, it was just as the previews had promised. Then when I came online to talk about it I could hardly get a post out or a thread up without multiple posters coming in and telling me how I was playing a video game, playing a shallow game, playing a series of miniature skirmishes loosely connected by free-form roleplay, etc.

So the wrong thing I did was playing and liking and posting about 4e. Which is now to be treated as equivalent to spamming thread after thread with pointless rants and insults. Personally, I don't see the equivalence. The rants and insults may well have been offered in good faith - I'm sure a lot of "h4ters" were very sincere. That doesn't mean they weren't rants and insults.

You want to know a reasonable objection to your objection? While there were plenty of posts (and, yes, rants) critical of the game, a lot of those posters faced 4e fans attacking the poster as much as the post. It's been going on in this thread as well. Your own use of h4ter and your own implication that what they were posting wasn't legitimate are part and parcel of that "everyone is to blame" for the edition wars storyline. And it's about time people acknowledged their own participation and how they may have contributed to the atmosphere.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Cliff Notes? Yeah I can sum it up...
WoW: The Gathering

billd91 said:
And it's about time people acknowledged their own participation and how they may have contributed to the atmosphere.

Come ON, guys. This has been a pretty polite thread. Let us please not wreck it with edition warry noise like this. Can we let six years ago be six years ago and move on?

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Being a long time Hero player (29 years) - One of the things I liked about 4E was that versatility and adaptability. I wanted to play a monk when it first came out. I like hitting things without weapons. The GM gave me a "weapon" - Martial arts - a 1d6, A generic AC that fit with a striker, and I played a Ranger and refluffed all the powers. Twin Strike became Flurry of Blows (keeping the 3rd nomenclature). It worked fine with almost no issues, for the couple of levels I played the character. I got my monk right away.

4e was the first time I could play a legit basically balanced thri-kreen who could attack 4+ times in a round (ranger with a monk multiclass, so twin strike or other multi-hit power + flurry of blows + minor action attacks from the Ranger list and minor action thri-kreen claws + possible action points).

Last night I played our Dark Sun game with my druid who turns into a rainstorm as a wild shape. Mechanically, she's a genasi swarm druid, in play she's a human making torrential downpours that evaporate in a few seconds.

These are characters that it would be difficult to do in pre-4e D&D. Not impossible, probably, but hard and awkward. In 4e, they work with some re-fluffing.

That's the low-level refluffing that 4e allows, but it's system is a LOT more robust than that would even indicate, if it wants to get serious.

It is like that girl in that romantic comedy who just doesn't even know how sexy she is if she'd just let her hair down and take off those glasses. ;)

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Being a long time Hero player (29 years) - One of the things I liked about 4E was that versatility and adaptability. I wanted to play a monk when it first came out.
Snippage

4e was the first time I could play a legit basically balanced thri-kreen who could attack 4+ times in a round (ranger with a monk multiclass, so twin strike or other multi-hit power + flurry of blows + minor action attacks from the Ranger list and minor action thri-kreen claws + possible action points).

Last night I played our Dark Sun game with my druid who turns into a rainstorm as a wild shape. Mechanically, she's a genasi swarm druid, in play she's a human making torrential downpours that evaporate in a few seconds.

These are characters that it would be difficult to do in pre-4e D&D. Not impossible, probably, but hard and awkward. In 4e, they work with some re-fluffing.

That's the low-level refluffing that 4e allows, but it's system is a LOT more robust than that would even indicate, if it wants to get serious.

Right after PHB2 came out. I found myself wondering why we just didn't have a generic-yet-comprehensive list of powers for each role (or heck even rules for producing them on you own) with advice on how to tweak and refluff them into whatever you wanted.

...then I thought "duh, because that's just about the last book they could sell you."

Right after PHB2 came out. I found myself wondering why we just didn't have a generic-yet-comprehensive list of powers for each role (or heck even rules for producing them on you own) with advice on how to tweak and refluff them into whatever you wanted.

...then I thought "duh, because that's just about the last book they could sell you."

Yeah.
That was always HERO's problem. The draw is the system; no default setting for a "game" - setting and genre books were great, and some books with a bunch of pre-built powers or spells... but there comes a point where it is just.. "What now?".

I had other issues with 4E - after playing a while I came to realize that the game's approach and style just didn't mesh with what I wanted out of an RPG. But I will never say it wasn't well designed.

Iosue

Legend
Okay, catching up. Good grief, these discussions work up high thread velocity!

Because it definitely isn't clear, I wasn't referring to one tribe's instincts. I was referring to both tribe's instincts. There is some stuff mentioned above up there that was absolutely problematic. There was some needless antagonism and some extremely easy and odd lack of deference to legacy elements (such as several classes not being in the PHB). There is other stuff as well.
I thank you for this clarification and fully agree. I don't think that's an especially 4e issue, though.
Two tribes. Worser natures and all that.
I don't thank you, however, for putting that Frankie Goes to Hollywood song in my head all day. ;)

I think there is a wide range of conceptions of what D&D is (and was, in the past).
Oh, absolutely. Definitely. Which is why it didn't matter in the big picture.

Good post. But I always got the feeling in 4e that it was mechanically rewarding and spelling out things that were long part of the game. So I dont buy the point that the "indie" elements were alien. Basically it was long held that rouges do sneak attack, but someone asked the question in 4e: what mechanical expression can we give to other classes?

My sense was that a bigger issue was the 4e started PCs at a high level of power (and probably complexity) than what many fantasy tropes articulated. That said the rise to demi-god hood in 4e did remind me strongly of BECMI.

FWIW I agree that barrier to entry to 4e was too high: it was too complex. Mind you, i would have liked to see a free basic version of 4e/ 4e essentials!
4e definitely follows in the 3e tradition of what I call "rule-of-rules", where the point of interaction with the game was primarily the operation of game mechanics by the player and DM. So in as much as there were now rules for how rogues sneak attack, I don't think that was a problem for 3e players. Pre-3e fans, OTOH, probably prefer more of a "rule-of-DM" approach, where interaction with the DM is the primary interaction with the game. So they wouldn't like 4e, but they wouldn't like 3e, either.

However, the indie elements that I think people had a problem with is not necessarily greater mechanical control by the player; that's just a trend that's been increasing throughout D&D's lifetime. Rather it has to do with two related but distinct aspects that provoked parallel negative reactions in TSR-era fans and 3e fans.* The first has to do with allowing, to a certain extent requiring players to exercise narrative control through their mechanical control, which bothered TSR-era fans for whom it was the DM's job to interpret the results of die rolls. For 3e fans, OTOH, the issue was lack of simulation through the power system. Either you reflavored the causes and results of the powers to fit the context, in which case the mechanic was simulating anything at all, OR you used the same flavor text for powers every time, which broke verisimilitude and was bad simulation. The healing surge system had similar issues. Approach it from the indie game stance of abstract mechanics providing player narrative control, and they work great. As simulation, they are placed in a false position.

*Again, not to obscure my point, in the big picture there are many fans of TSR D&D who went on to enjoy both 3e and 4e. Probably the majority. I am of course concerned here purely with the contingent that did not, and were vocal in their criticisms.

What's missed by @Manbearcat is that a lot of those changes are reversion to the roots of D&D - particularly the GMing principles, the opinionation of the advice, the aggressively pushing a playstyle, and the lack of fealty to canon. It was 2E and 3E that got away from D&D being a delightfully focused game that aggressively pushed a playstyle, and that got away from balance. 4E brought it back.
Could you elaborate on what GMing principles you felt hearkened back to D&D's roots?

As for the rest, the negative reaction to 4e being a focused game that aggressively pushed a playstyle and had balance means little to the roots of D&D when the focus, aggressively pushed playstyle and kind of balance is different. A TSR-era fan may be able to recreate that kind of game with 3e since it isn't focused or aggressively pushing any one playstyle. But they have a much harder time doing so with 4e, when it's focus and aggressively pushed playstyle is cinematic, heroic set-pieces leading to demi-godhood instead of gritty exploration leading to fame and riches.

To the first of those posts, you're saying that KotS sounds like a classic dungeoncrawl.
No, I'm saying that the Penny Arcade podcasts sounded like a classic (read = "very typical of its kind", not "of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind") dungeoncrawl. I say of KotS itself that it's "fine, if uninspired." This is pretty much borne out by its Amazon reviews. 80 reviews, 45 are 5 and 4 stars, 25 are 3, 15 are 2 and 1 stars. For connoisseur, not very good. For the mass consumer, more than adequate.

pemerton

Legend
I just found the skill challenge concepts as laid out in the DMG still well explained, even if the mathematics of execution needed reworking.
I basically agree, particularly when supplemented with the PHB commentary on skill challenges.

pemerton

Legend

Right. I've posted in the past that 4e had some similiarities to a Marvel Heroic or HeroWars/Quest free-descriptor system, except that you have to pay WotC for every descriptor you want to use in your PC building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads