D&D 5E Is trafficking in soul coins ostensibly evil?

If i stubbed my toe for a bit and was like “damn that really hurts” and you came along and said “I am going to go and kill myself to fix your toe”

Would we say that’s heroic or the height of insanity?

Life is so temporary, a soul is forever.
Which is why it’s the only sacrifice that matters. Sacrificing your life because you know for sure you will be rewarded in the afterlife is an entirely selfish act. It is in no way “good”.

Zardnaar

Legend
Which is why it’s the only sacrifice that matters. Sacrificing your life because you know for sure you will be rewarded in the afterlife is an entirely selfish act. It is in no way “good”.

Except you don't know where your souls going 100%. "I'm more righteous than you" 9 hells derp.

Sell your soul almost guaranteed.

Stalker0

Legend
It is in no way “good”.
dnd good is not real world good. Promoting the literal forces of good.... is good. Saving some lives is great....but if it damns your soul....than evil has gained a soul. On the cosmic scale, you have helped the enemy more than helped your side....aka evil.

Vaalingrade

Legend
dnd good is not real world good. Promoting the literal forces of good.... is good. Saving some lives is great....but if it damns your soul....than evil has gained a soul. On the cosmic scale, you have helped the enemy more than helped your side....aka evil.
This does not jive with the fact that the Abyss is literally infinite. Denying one from infinity still gets you infinity. Also, seeing as there's no infinity good plane, one can say that good is a statistical anomaly and that the D&D universe is literally infinitely evil.

And infinitely on fire.

And infinitely on... water?

And infinitely poorly conceptualized.

Stalker0

Legend
This does not jive with the fact that the Abyss is literally infinite. Denying one from infinity still gets you infinity. Also, seeing as there's no infinity good plane, one can say that good is a statistical anomaly and that the D&D universe is literally infinitely evil.

And infinitely on fire.

And infinitely on... water?

And infinitely poorly conceptualized.
this is ultimately why the blood war exists. The devils (and the various souls they collect) fight against the infinite hoard of demons....using their superior tactics and organization to keep them at bay in a neverending war (and of course the angels have to join in against the demons often as well).

Without the blood war then your right, demons would overtake the entire multiverse in short order. But again devils are the main soul collectors, the one making deals and such. Demons just rampage and kill things.

Vaalingrade

Legend
The fact that the Blood War exists and the infinite demons don't win instantly pretty much means spec fic writers have absolutely no sense of scale. Even assuming Heaven and Hell are arbitrarily big, they are a handful of sand against an ocean of oceans that are themselves each made of smaller but still ocean-sized oceans.

Again, helping evil is kinda pointless because it's already won--it's just apparently unaware of this fact.

GrimCo

Hero
In the end, it boils down to DM-s decision. When it comes to good and evil and morality, ultimate arbiter is always DM. There isn't any official cannon at the table. How things work is up to DM who does the world building. So, if DM says that trafficking soul coins is ok, then it's ok.

Zardnaar

Legend
In the end, it boils down to DM-s decision. When it comes to good and evil and morality, ultimate arbiter is always DM. There isn't any official cannon at the table. How things work is up to DM who does the world building. So, if DM says that trafficking soul coins is ok, then it's ok.

What's the DM gonna do? Take away your spells?

Remove ads