• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Is WOTC headed for a TSR-ending? :/

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
D&D *NEEDS* to go digital or it dies, that's hard fact, folks.

Don't you believe it. The fact underlying this is that the profit levels are potentially higher if the product can draw those in who collectively spend large amounts of money on computer/Internet based games that emulate RPGs. Tabletop games can do fine, and turn a profit, without a digital component. They just don't turn as high a profit.

That's the hard facts, folks.

Nai_Calus

First Post
I want that anyway :)

WotC isn't actively developing and releasing content for 8 different world settings, 3 magazines, a crapton of novels, etc. I skipped on 3.5 b/c I felt it was certainly too soon and my gaming group was in the process of dying anyway. 4E brought me back. It's been nice and easy to teach several gaming newbs here in Louisville 4E too

Only if it also has marshmallow Gelatinous Cubes. Actually, those would make good fruit snacks, nevermind cereal. :D

How's the gaming community in Louisville, BTW? I'm moving there at the end of November and hoping that I'll be able to find a RL D&D group at last rather than VT/PbP.

darjr

I crit!
I know you're only kidding, cause obviously the lizard people wouldn't be atheists. But the world is coming to an end in 2012. I just recently saw a documentary about it here: 2012 - Official Movie Site

At least I have 2 years to make an important decision...after I rent a plane, do I make room for my wife, or my D&D books?

Both man! To those who just took books you'll be a hero, and to those who only took their wives, you'll be DM!

Inyssius

First Post
Um. Wait.

Your argument is that the D&D products being produced now are the best they've been in a long time; and that the brand is transitioning to the digital era, as you say it needs to do, with great skill...

...and therefore D&D is doomed?

What?

SSquirrel

Explorer
Only if it also has marshmallow Gelatinous Cubes. Actually, those would make good fruit snacks, nevermind cereal. :D

How's the gaming community in Louisville, BTW? I'm moving there at the end of November and hoping that I'll be able to find a RL D&D group at last rather than VT/PbP.

Louisville Game Store over on Bardstown Rd does War machine tournies, sells a variety of gaming stuff. Something To Do Games at Oxmoor Mall has tables, runs magic tourneys, believe they have people who play RPGs instore as well. Decent selection. Book and Music Exchange, Half Price Books and Great Escape (comic shop) all sell lots of used gaming product and Great Escape also sells a good chunk of newer stuff.

Book and Music and Great Escape are also on Bardstown, as is the best guitar store in the area (Guitar Emporium) and the best cd/record store (Ear X-tacy). Depending on your interests outside of gaming :)

My wife and I both play a wide variety of games, as do anotehr couple we're good friends with. We have some other friends in the area who like to game but aren't that experienced yet. Scheduling is our worst problem between all of us and we get to bring our 4yr old and 18mo old daughters w/us too :)

Send me a PM when ya move here or look me up on yahoo or AIM. Feel free to PM me for contact info if needed

Oh and marshmallow gelatinous cubes are great. I could see the different puddings and oozes selling well, esp in teh category of "food that looks icky but tastes great so your kid will beg for it"

Last edited:

coyote6

Adventurer
I know you're only kidding, cause obviously the lizard people wouldn't be atheists. But the world is coming to an end in 2012. I just recently saw a documentary about it here: 2012 - Official Movie Site

At least I have 2 years to make an important decision...after I rent a plane, do I make room for my wife, or my D&D books?

Whichever, just make sure that when you fly away in your airplane, remember that it can go up. Which would let you do little things like above the collapsing landmass. It may be less visually interesting than flying into collapsing ravines, but it's probably safer. And do you really want to be the only airborne casualty of an earthquake? :blush:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Not a chance.

As much as 4E is not my thing, and as much as I think WotC has made some fairly big mistakes in the last couple of years - there's no way they can be compared to the monumental example of mismanagement that was TSR at the end.

They may have made some mistakes recently, but they've done a lot of things right also. And just being D&D allows for considerably more leeway than most other publishers, IMO.

WotC isn't going anywhere.

Remove ads