It is time to forgive WOTC and get back onboard.

ThorinTeague

Creative/Father/Professor
This was done when D&D nerd Peter Adkinson ran the roost at WotC, pre Hasbro buyout.

No publicly traded corporation would ever do such a thing.

Believe me, if Hasbro-Wotzi would take it back if they thought they could get away with it.

Oh, that's right, They've tried that Twice now...

Fool me once; shame on you.

Fool me twice...
There were in fact four instances of TSR or WoTC engaged in some flavor or another of these shenanigans throughout the history of D&D:

Mid 80s
Mid 90s

Staffan

Legend
This was done when D&D nerd Peter Adkinson ran the roost at WotC, pre Hasbro buyout.

No publicly traded corporation would ever do such a thing.
Incorrect. Hasbro bought Wizards of the Coast in 1999, and the OGL and original 3.0 SRD were published in 2000.

Hasbro did not, at the time, pay particularly much attention to the stuff going on in the D&D offices.

Jaeger

That someone better
Incorrect. Hasbro bought Wizards of the Coast in 1999, and the OGL and original 3.0 SRD were published in 2000.

Hasbro did not, at the time, pay particularly much attention to the stuff going on in the D&D offices.

I stand corrected!

The result is the same, it is something they direly wish they could do a backsies on.

They can't really fool you again though, because it's done. It's in the Creative Commons. They can't do take-backsies even if they want.

Buy we haven't seen exactly what they are putting in the CC yet.

I'll wait a bit...

BlueFin

Just delete this account.
Holding a grudge isn't good for anyone's health.
There’s a BIG difference between holding a grudge and holding to account.

It is actually far too soon for anyone to assume this is over.

At present, all we are is where we were just a few short weeks ago, with a little sweetener on top.

They have said they are leaving 1.0a alone, and very much NOT said they are going to do anything to make 1.0a truly irrevocable and stop them trying this in the future. Maybe they’re waiting for one D&D and getting more sheep customers tied into D&D beyond, thereby making it harder for people to walk away.?? Maybe they figure the community wiñl just let it slide bext time because we’re too weary to battle them? Who knows?

What I DO know, what they have repeatedly and irrefutably proven, is they cannot be trusted. The same people are still running the show. So there is a very, VERY, long way to go to hold them to account.

Nonetheless, I do agree with you, holding a grudge isn’t healthy, but as someone else said, moving on is. So until they have been fully held to account and they have believably atoned, they can consider me, and I am pleased to see many others, moved on. 😉

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases