• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item Pricing

Stalker0

Legend
What I find interesting about this is that parties are expected to get +2 magic items very early. A level 6 item is standard treasure for a level 3 party at least somewhere down the road. In 3, I didn't normally see +2 swords until 5 or 6 level based on the treasure you were supposed to have.

malraux

First Post
Dragonblade said:
Nice! That backs up my theory as well. Item bonuses go up by +1 every three levels.
By my brief glance in the PHB at the demo game I played in, at least for armor, level 1-5 has a +1 enhancement, 6-10 is +2, 11-15 is +3, etc capping with 26-30 is +6. I didn't specifically see the table for weapons, but I'd imagine they follow the same formula. So its closer to +1 per 5 levels.

malraux

First Post
TerraDave said:
That progresion (+1 at 1-5, +2 at 6-10...) also seem to be consistent with this:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drdd/20080123
I'm pretty sure we saw somewhere that when creating a character at a higher level you'd choose one item at level +1, one at level, and one at level -1. So that gnome has a level 12 item, level 11 item, and a level 10 item. And the level 10 item would be the +2 cloak of survival, which fits that progression really well.

I think what had been tripping people up before is that instead of rounding down to get the plus, magic items round up.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
malraux said:
By my brief glance in the PHB at the demo game I played in, at least for armor, level 1-5 has a +1 enhancement, 6-10 is +2, 11-15 is +3, etc capping with 26-30 is +6. I didn't specifically see the table for weapons, but I'd imagine they follow the same formula. So its closer to +1 per 5 levels.

Ah, ok then! I was mistaken. Hmm, but without doing +10 items the math doesn't work for damage bonuses.

You should be getting a +15 to damage by level 30. With only +6 coming from items, and with +4 coming from 8 stat boosts over 30 levels, where is the other +5 coming from?

malraux

First Post
Dragonblade said:
Ah, ok then! I was mistaken. Hmm, but without doing +10 items the math doesn't work for damage bonuses.

You should be getting a +15 to damage by level 30. With only +6 coming from items, and with +4 coming from 8 stat boosts over 30 levels, where is the other +5 coming from?
Well, the pluses are not the only thing that weapons get. All weapons get other properties like icy or flaming. Perhaps the extra damage is handled by other weapon properties, which would be why they never allow just +x weapons.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
malraux said:
Well, the pluses are not the only thing that weapons get. All weapons get other properties like icy or flaming. Perhaps the extra damage is handled by other weapon properties, which would be why they never allow just +x weapons.

Hmm, good point. I didn't consider that. :)

It still would have been cool to have +10 swords though, perhaps the artifact rules... :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads