• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Item Pricing

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Actually, have we answered the basic question: what is price? Or I should say, price of what?

Its not the "for sale price", thats a lot lower, and its not the buy price, there is a markup on that.

The way I think its suppose to work is that it is the cost of making the item with the ritual. So a party with the make magic item ritual can crank out items up to their level at the standard cost/price of the item.

malraux

First Post
Dragonblade said:
Hmm, good point. I didn't consider that. :)

It still would have been cool to have +10 swords though, perhaps the artifact rules... :D
True, and originally I thought it had to be +1 per 3 levels too, cuz that made the math really nifty. But what the +1 per 5 does is makes the archetypal +5 weapon mark the entrance into epic levels. A +6 weapon then becomes the equivalent of "going to 11".

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Another thing: in 3E, you went from +1, to +2, to +3...here, +1 covers levels 1-5, so how does that work? You have level 1-5 powers always attached to a +1 item (it if has a "+"), level 6-10 powers for +2, and so on?

im_robertb

First Post
Most (all?) of the magic items we've seen are more than just a flat 'make these numbers bigger' plus. So the balance between two items of different levels with the same/similar enhancement bonus effect can come from differences in that special power. For example:

Two items that occupy the Neck slot, and whose enchancement bonus applies to Fortitude, Reflex and Will defenses:

+1 Cloak of Resistance, Level 2
Power (Daily): Minor action. Gain resist all 5 until the start of your next turn.

+1 Amulet of Health, Level 3
Property: Gain resist poison 5.

The Amulet is constant, but somewhat situational. The cloak is very limited, to once per day, but will come in handy, guaranteed. Personally, I'd rather have the Cloak, which is lower level, but that might just be from my playstyle, and they are very close in level. Another thing to keep in mind is synergy. If the Dragonborn typically breathes poison and always finds he could get a lot more enemies if he could just include the damn fighter in the area, then the Amulet is better for the fighter in that group. Let's look at some other similar items with bigger differences in level. Here are two items that occupy the Waist slot and have no enhancement bonuses:

Belt of Vigor, Level 2
Property: You gain a +1 item bonus to the healing provided by your healing surges.

Ironskin Belt, Level 5
Power (Encounter): Minor Action. Gain resist weapon 5 until the end of your next turn.

These are both very appealing to any Defender, but the higher level item will almost certainly save more surges than the lower level item, while adding more in-combat survivability. Easy choice for most characters: Between the two, give me the Ironskin Belt. Even a wizard might prefer it: he probably only needs resist weapon 5 once per fight at most, but when he does, he really needs it.

keterys

First Post
I haven't been finding the resist items seeing as much effective use as the passive ones - they're good, but they often go unused or the character just isn't hit when they are used.

Whereas the +1 to healing comes up all the time. The resist 5 necrotic less so, but the character _really_ likes it and it has been defining in a couple fights (letting him tank stuff with far more ease)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads