• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like RAVENLOFT

On the Down With D&D podcast, writer Shawn Merwin (who is writing at least one adventure for the next D&D Adventurers Guild season) responded to a query about whether the next season was "gothic" in nature -- "I can neither confirm nor deny that, although I've heard that much was talked about at Gamehole Con in Chris Perkins' seminar ... I think people who have heard that seminar know what's going on, but I still cannot say anything." That seminar, which I largely transcribed here, hinted really strongly at Ravenloft. (thanks to darjr for the scoop)

On the Down With D&D podcast, writer Shawn Merwin (who is writing at least one adventure for the next D&D Adventurers Guild season) responded to a query about whether the next season was "gothic" in nature -- "I can neither confirm nor deny that, although I've heard that much was talked about at Gamehole Con in Chris Perkins' seminar ... I think people who have heard that seminar know what's going on, but I still cannot say anything." That seminar, which I largely transcribed here, hinted really strongly at Ravenloft. (thanks to darjr for the scoop)

ravenloft-strahd.jpg

In response to comments about Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Wolfman, Merwin said "You like that kind of stuff? I get misty-eyed about it myself."

Of course, none of this is conclusive. But it's hard not to think that - if not Ravenloft itself - something Ravenloft-inspired is coming with the next D&D storyline.

They went on to discuss Baldman Games' (hosts of Winter Fantasy) announcements about D&D events at the convention in February. Regarding the Epic adventure being used to launch the upcoming season, which will debut at that convention, they have the following exchange:

Shawn Merwin: ...if you're into D&D at all, or if you're into Adventurer's League specifically, you will not want to miss.

Christopher Sniezak: I hear there may be blood and stakes involved?

Shawn Merwin: It's definitely possible.

It sounds a little to me like they have discussed this subject in more detail off-air. Whatever the case, these are not the first "gothic" hints we've gotten - it's certainly Beginning To Look A Lot Like Ravenloft, as Bing Crosby once famously sang.

If you want to listen to the full podcast, click here or on Strahd up above.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Yep, Birthright's was a retcon too. Still, as of DoD, every 2e setting except Council of Wyrms had a domain somewhere.

I always wondered if there was a domain that could really be attributed to Planescape, but that one tended to boil down to a matter of opinion.

Remathilis

Legend
I always wondered if there was a domain that could really be attributed to Planescape, but that one tended to boil down to a matter of opinion.
There was a incubus called the Gentleman Caller who could travel freely though other domains even though he was a dark lord himself. I think he's the closest to a PS dark lord.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
AFAIK, no. Strahd had some red dragons in 1e, but no dragons (dead or otherwise) since.

A nod to this was in the novel Knight of the Black Rose, where Lord Soth encounters (and slays) a red dragon during his rampage in Castle Ravenloft. Strahd later remarks that such creatures were "a rarity" there, but not irreplaceable.

Also, Azalin has a shadow dragon named Ebb in his castle in the adventure From the Shadows. In 3E, Ravenloft Gazetteer Vol. 2 has a "dread possibility" that Ebb has found a mate, and the two are about to have their first clutch of eggs.

Remathilis

Legend
A nod to this was in the novel Knight of the Black Rose, where Lord Soth encounters (and slays) a red dragon during his rampage in Castle Ravenloft. Strahd later remarks that such creatures were "a rarity" there, but not irreplaceable.

Also, Azalin has a shadow dragon named Ebb in his castle in the adventure From the Shadows. In 3E, Ravenloft Gazetteer Vol. 2 has a "dread possibility" that Ebb has found a mate, and the two are about to have their first clutch of eggs.
I knew of the shadow dragon, but I thought he was discussing Castle Ravenloft only. Didn't know about KotBR though...

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I thought he was equivalent to a dark lord, but lacked a domain (or his domain moved with him, something like that. He was in Dark Lords and had a lizard foot)

The character from RR1 Darklords with the clawed and scaled left foot is Leederik, the Phantom Lover. He has a floating domain, which I believe is called "The Phantom Lover's Tower" (it's floating in the sense that it temporarily superimposes itself over the existing locale, whether inside or outside of Ravenloft).

He has a similar MO as the Gentleman Caller (e.g. seduce them, and ruin their life in the process, and then scram), but he's a distinct entity.

Remathilis

Legend
The character from RR1 Darklords with the clawed and scaled left foot is Leederik, the Phantom Lover. He has a floating domain, which I believe is called "The Phantom Lover's Tower" (it's floating in the sense that it temporarily superimposes itself over the existing locale, whether inside or outside of Ravenloft).

He has a similar MO as the Gentleman Caller (e.g. seduce them, and ruin their life in the process, and then scram), but he's a distinct entity.

Thanks, its been a while and its pretty easy to mix the two up.

Remove ads

Remove ads