It's The EN World 7-Day RPG Contest! $1000 Prize!

Can you write an RPG in 7 days? If so, here's a chance to win $1000! By next week! I'm holding a competition this week. Entries must be posted by midnight my time next Sunday (the 5th of May; I'm in the UK, so that's BST). All you have to do is write a roleplaying game. Or dig one up you wrote twenty years ago. It can be short - I've seen 24 hour RPG contests before, and games under 20...

Status
Not open for further replies.
[h=3]Can you write an RPG in 7 days?[/h]
If so, here's a chance to win $1000! By next week!

I'm holding a competition this week. Entries must be posted by midnight my time next Sunday (the 5th of May; I'm in the UK, so that's BST). All you have to do is write a roleplaying game. Or dig one up you wrote twenty years ago. It can be short - I've seen 24 hour RPG contests before, and games under 20 pages. If it works, it doesn't need to have hundreds of pages.

Your game can be of any length. It can be any subject or genre. The only restriction is that it be an RPG.

I do, however, reserve the right to reject (and delete) an entry which I deem innappropriate - which basically means one which is racist, sexist, obscene, etc. (That doesn't mean that you can't have racism or sexism in a maturely handled implied setting - as long as you don't appear to be saying that's a good thing). The same goes for anything which infringes on someone else's intellectual property, or any other reason at my discretion.

You enter your game - preferably as a PDF, but you can use any file format you like; it's being voted on, so the more inaccesible your file format, the fewer votes you'll get - and the RPG community spends a week voting on them. The winner gets $1000, which I will send by Paypal immediately the week's up.

The catch?
I (as in EN World) get to own and [try to] sell your game if you win (if I don't publish it, I'll simply return it to you). That's how I - hopefully - make my $1000 back. Please, please - if your work is precious to you, has sentimental value, is the product of years of development, is a mark of your genius and is worth much more, or is too good for a competition like this, don't enter it. Same goes if you have any reservations, compunctions, disagreements and general dislikes about this competition. It's utterly, utterly, utterly voluntary and it's supposed to be fun. But if you feel like writing an RPG over the next 7 days (or have one you've written that you'd like folks to see), this is a fun way to do that. Plus, hey, maybe $1000! I may well also approach some of those who didn't win with an eye to publishing their game, but no promises!

[h=3]How To Enter[/h]
You enter by attaching a document as a reply to this thread. Be sure to describe it in the post - give folks a reason to download it and check it out! It can be whatever format you choose, and the production values can be as great or as little as you choose. If you want to attach an unformated .txt file, that's fine. If you want to enter a PDF with artwork and layout, that's fine too. We'll let the public decide! Production values, content, length - there's a whole slew of things the public might base their votes on.

NOTE:
This thread can be viewed in two ways. If you're viewing it via EN World's article/news section, you won't be able to see the files attached by contestants. However, if you click though to the forum thread version of this article (or if you're already reading the forum thread version) you'll be able to see them just fine. Same goes for the attachment controls for your entry - click through to the forum thread version and you should see them.

I will delete any posts in this thread which aren't entries. I don't want to make the voters have to work for your entries. Feel free to introduce yourself or your entry in the post to which your entry is attached.

You might have to click "Go Advanced" to see the attachment controls in the thread.

Questions? Head to the Meta Forum and ask them there. Questions in this thread will be deleted, to keep it down to just entries. Like I said, we don't want to make the voters have to work.

[h=3]Rules[/h]
By attaching your document to this thread, you agree to the following.

1. By attaching your document to this thread, you are entering the contest.
  2. If you win the contest, you will receive $1000 by PayPal and ownership of your entry will transfer to me. I will acknowledge and credit you as the author of it if I publish it.
  3. If you do not win the contest, you retain ownership of your work, but I may approach you about publishing it (possibly in a compilation).
  4. The winner of the competition is the person with the most votes at the end of the following week. Voting will take place in a poll here on EN World from 6-12 May. Anyone found encouraging people to vote multiple times will be disqualified. You are, however, welcome - and encouraged - to campaign as much as you want and encourage people to vote as long as you don't encourage anyone to cheat. One person, one vote.
  5. The winner will be the person with the most votes. That person will receive $1000 immediately upon closure of the voting. This will happen by PayPal. Make sure you have a valid PayPal account; this is the only way payment will be made. Delays due to this are not my fault - I'll be ready with my finger on the send button
  6. You indemnify me against third party legal action! If I get sued because of something you did (you defamed someone, or you stole someone else's work, or what-have-you) you agree to indemnify against that. Basically, make sure you submit your own work - familiarise yourself with copyright and trademark laws, and don't defame anybody.
  7. You warrant that your submission is your own work.
  8. If you don't win, you agree not to publish your entry anywhere else for a period of three months (until August 1st, 2013).

[h=3]FAQ[/h]
These aren't rules, they're just common questions I've gotten.

OGL? GSL? Yes, that's fine. You may use the Open Gaming License or the Game System License. Or, indeed, any other license. But please make sure you understand (and correctly use) any license you use in your submission. That said, those licenses are clear, easily available (hey I just linked to them for you!), and perfectly understandable. There should be no difficulty there.

Will you definitely publish it if I win? No, I won't *definitely* publish your entry. I have no idea what sort of entries I'm going to get, how many, or of what quality. So your entry might get published, or it might not. Heck, the winning (most popular) one might not be published - one of the other entries might be more suitable. Right now, all I'm doing is covering myself and ensuring I have the option. What I will say is that if I decide I definitely don't want to publish it, I won't just hang on to it for no good reason - I'll give it back. For now I'm just excited to see what entries I get and who wins the $1000!

What should I enter? This competition isn't really designed for your 350+ page manuscript that you've been working on for 10 years. That's not to say that you can't enter that, but a decade-long labour of love is going to be worth more to you than a chance to win $1000. What this is designed for is something you put together this week, in a few hours or so, as a bit of fun. It's like those 24-hour RPG contests you see from time to time, but a lot less frantic. It's supposed to be fun, and a little bit exciting.

Will you alter or expand my entry? I don't know! That totally depends on the entry. If you win, and if I think it needs some extra work before publishing, I will approach you first about paying you to do that work. If you can't or don't want to do that, then I'll look elsewhere. I expect at the very least it'll need to be illustrated and/or formatted.

Quick reminder - I keep moving posts and questions from this thread to the Meta forum. Please keep this thread clear of everything except entries so that folks can browse them easily! You are more than welcome to ask questions etc. in the Meta forum!

bladestalker

First Post
Divine Right

Here is my entry. It's an idea I've had for a while but hadn't developed. I only heard of this contest 3 days into it so my 7 days is really 4 - 2 for my work schedule. anyways...

Given a month I could really refine and clean up this submission, but for the most part it is all there, but for soem more number crunching. I think if you look it over you'll see that it is a subtle way to emphasis the social conciousness of a playing group and their impact on their world.

All dressed up as high fantasy.

View attachment 57348,View attachment 57349

Last edited by a moderator:

artikid

First Post
LINK, Transhumanist RPG

Hello everybody, here is my submission.

Please consider that english is a second language for me.

LINK
By the end of the 27th century, the Golden age seemed to have come back: poverty and strife had been banished long ago and the potential for infinite growth and expansion was at hand.
In this moment of glory disaster struck: the Matter Transfer Matrix that connected all the worlds suddenly stopped functioning and FTL communication across the galaxy ceased. Without apparent reason the Earth Unity of Sentients collapsed in one day.

LINK is a rotating artificial habitat built by the EUS to act as a nexus in the galaxy-wide MTM.

LINK is a transhumanist role-playing game.

A big map of LINK can be downloaded here: artikid.altervista.org/_altervista_ht/LINK_MAP.png (1.1 Mb)View attachment 57350

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Well, I decided to spend some of the weekend writing up a game I once came up with in a pub. I'm pretty sure it's had less development than a week would allow for, so it feels in the spirit of the contest.

DoC RPG: The Deck of Cards Roleplaying Game

This game is designed to be a framework for simple storytelling and roleplaying. It uses ordinary decks of playing cards to create characters and resolve encounters, with a narrative driven by players and a(n optional) storyteller. The mechanics are simple, with plenty of scope for future complication, some of which I have had the time to write up under Optional Rules. You can play it as a solo challenge, a cooperative story or a competitive adventure game. Most of all, it's about having some low-cost creative fun!

There is an example of play that hopefully shows how the game works, but if you have any questions, as I'm unsure if my rather scientific writing style is easy to understand, please let me know.

View attachment 57353

Edit: MS Word formatted some colours wrong, sigh, my apologies.

Xiyla

First Post
PET- The RPG

Here is my submission for the contest. I wrote it in 7 days.

Title- Pet Extra Terrestrial

In this family friendly d6 system you play as an Animalia, an alien from another galaxy that is stranded on Earth masquerading a pet. This is a very open end game with varying objectives, super powers for pets, and other goodies!

Enjoy!

JMBeraldo

First Post
The Context RPG system focus on allowing players and narrators to craft fun adventures and stories without creating too many constraints.

The system replaces tons of numbers that predefine what a character is capable of doing to a set of player-made descriptions that both give characters a story and context, and work as source for imagining how to handle conflicts and challenges.

It can be used to any kind of setting and any kind of RPG style, be it a gritty dungeon delve or a court intrigue in the 25th century.

I hope you like it!

View attachment 57360

Chaos Lord

Presenting Chaos Lord.

Chaos Lord is a minimalist-rpg where the players take the role of Demons of Elder Chaos possessing a cabal of sorcerers. From one to eight players can take part in a harrowing metaphysical adventure. Will they rip the universe to bloody shreds and dance upon its burning corpse or will they succumb to the weakness of their new flesh and begin to feel the sickness that mortal men calls compassion?

Featuring:
A simple, quick, and brutal combat system.

An Exploding Dice mechanic that lets an outmatched combatant turn the tables on a more skilled adversary (at least once in a while).

Three Magick Systems.

An advancement system where acts of wanton destruction, ruin, and death are rewarded. Killing a few kings and emperors only gets you so far. To advance quickly you must engineer the decline of empires and reduce once enlightened civilizations to barbarism.

Lots of supernatural mayhem and carnage!

Chaos Lord is still under construction (particularly the Entropy Magick Table). Any critiques or feedback would be welcome.

View attachment 57361

Mike Eagling

Explorer
When [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] announced this competition I set myself the additional constraint that I'd use a genre that doesn't seem to have any other RPGs. To that end I took inspiration from a friend of mine who's not interested in role-playing games at all. She generally rolls her eyes skywards when I mention dragons or spaceships. No, I don't know why I'm friends with her either ;)

Ironically she's all but obsessed with a certain US TV medical drama and can almost quote whole episodes verbatim.

Thus, I present to the world "Doctors & Nurses", the RPG of TV medical dramas!

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Reality Warp

Reality Warp is a narrative role-playing game about people with unnatural abilities. Often it
involves secret government organizations and their opposition, either by rival organizations or
rebellions. These rebels may just be trying to live in peace.
Reality Warp owes its inspiration to a host of sources including films like Push, Jumper,
Chronicle and The Matrix, as well as comic books like Mind MGMT.

Note: Reality Warp was created in entirely during the 7-day period. It was conceptualized on Tuesday and I started writing on Wednesday.

Oron Rubic

First Post
Cliffhunger

Due to a great workload this week I wasn’t able to design something good for the contest but I still wanted to participate, even in the last hour. So here is Cliffhanger: two pages of RPG notes and ideas presented as a light system.

Erik Evjen

First Post
Eight-Sided Quest

Hello all, here is me throwing my hat into the ring.

Eight-Sided Quest RPG is a retro-clone system that uses d8s for all things involving dice-rolling. Saving Throws, Attack Rolls, anything and everything uses d8s.

This is a proof of concept demonstration, however the system would be compatible with most RPG supplements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads