D&D 3E/3.5 I've been running a Ptolus campaign since 2006. Here's what I've done with the setting.

Voadam

Legend
This is how I feel about Ptolus, too. I love urban adventuring...but I don't love all the creative decisions that Monte made. Waaaay too many knightly orders. I could go on. But there's just so much material, much of it good, some of it great. Ptolus is a good value for any working DM.
I was thinking what's he talking about on knights? There is the Order of the Dawn for the Lothian defenders of the faith, and the other non lothian one. Then I went back into the full book and read up on knights again. :)

The non-lothian followers of the Elder Gods are the Knights of the Golden Cross, the undead hunting Keepers of the Veil are a non-official lothian order as are the demon- and spellcaster-hunting Knights of the Pale, then there is the non-Lothian church, but Imperial charter knightly order, battle bard Knights of the Chord, and the not-knights secret Illuminati Shadow Knighthood. Adding in the Order of the Dawn you get six orders of Knighthood in the City. For third edition this fed into multiple prestige classes, but yeah it is a lot narratively.

Like Whizbang I expanded on the Lothian knightly orders for my own game. In my Carrion Crown Golarion-Ptolus-Homebrew mashup I incorporated a modified Order of the Dragon from Out for Blood as an Ustalav nationalist Lothian order, and modified Gold, Silver, and Iron Knights from the Scarred Lands as Lothian knighthood orders as well as background elements with Dragon and Iron Knights showing up directly as story elements of the game.

Last edited:

carmachu

Explorer
Awesome. We played for 5 years before we moved on. I remember you from Montes forums. Man we lost alot of info when it crashed.

Thanks for the update. Are you getting the 5e version?

Wasteland Knight

Adventurer
Awesome. We played for 5 years before we moved on. I remember you from Montes forums. Man we lost alot of info when it crashed.

Thanks for the update. Are you getting the 5e version?
Having played a fair amount of Ptolus and a lot of Arcana Unearthed, I was a regular reader on Monte's forum and an occasional poster. It's really sad that forum is gone.

carmachu

Explorer
Having played a fair amount of Ptolus and a lot of Arcana Unearthed, I was a regular reader on Monte's forum and an occasional poster. It's really sad that forum is gone.
There was so much there. Ideas, things to print. Everyones campaign write ups. Miniature converstions.

Anyone remember the towering machine that someone built and it got sent from dm to dm when needed?

Remove ads