Jägerkin

WEContact

First Post
Jägerkin

I need help building a race called Jägerkin. They're from a fantastic comic called Girl Genius.

My only problem is that they are a definite race, and I'm having trouble just picking a suitable race from the MM to rename. They are mostly underpowered. I wanted racial stats and abilities that reflect their great endurance and enthusiasm for combat, and their great longevity and loyalty.

I'm thinking stat bonuses on STR and WIS or CON, skill bonuses in Endurance and Perception. Regular 6 square speed. I figured Draconic Heritage, renamed of course, would ably reflect their resilience, and I don't know what to do after that. A racial encounter power of some kind and some minor bonus somewhere would about even it up with the PC races, but I'm not confident to figure those without it being overpowered. I'm not even confident in what I have here being balanced. If it helps with ideas, I'll describe the race at a bit more length.

They're kind of like orcs, but german, and with a much, much better disposition, and much harder to kill. They can be can be a little on the dumb side when they are with the group, (Jägerkin have a fierce loyalty to the clan) but when they spend time away they become very clever and pragmatic in addition to being boisterous and violent. They have great longevity; the ones shown are more than a hundred years old. They don't have darkvision or low-light vision, but they do have a very keen sense of smell.

They'd be very very fun to roleplay. They take hats very seriously, judging people by theirs and becoming very violent at slights to their own. Of course, their standards aren't very mainstream.

Last edited:

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Infernal Wrath for the Tieflings might reflect their love for battle as does the orc's ability to gain a healing surge from damage. You might also want to look at the barbarian conversion on the WotC website. However, their strength is much higher, probably stronger than an Ogre.

WEContact

First Post
Oooh, I like the Orc ability. That fits very well. I think a good way to reflect the vaunted strength of the Jägerkin would be the Oversized ability, only renamed of course, since the Jägers aren't actually bigger.

How was does that work, exactly? I understand that a character with Oversized could use a Large Longsword one-handed, but could he use a normal sized Falchion onehanded? (I would absolutely love to weild a Falchion and still use a shield, if that were remotely possible or balanced, which I suspect it isn't.)

Besides the Warrior's Surge power I'd like one other feature, comparable to Oversized, or maybe a group skill bonus to Dungeoneering, or something like that.

Edit: Also, thanks very kindly for the feedback. I was feeling just slightly unwelcome. = )

Last edited:

Surgoshan

First Post
The "oversized" ability of the minotaur just allows him to use a weapon one size larger as if it were his size. So a greatsword of one size larger would still be a greatsword. A greatsword of normal size would still be a greatsword.

I think their two skill bumps should be Endurance and Perception (to reflect their keen sense of smell).

The minotaur ability Ferocity could also be very Jäger; you can make a basic melee attack as a free action before falling unconscious when reduced to 0 HP.

dragon_eater

First Post
Ah, Girl Genius, great comic.

If I had to suggest a race to rip off I would suggest Warforged with some adaption, after all the Jägerkin are constructs of a sort.

I'd keep the ability score bonuses (+2 Strength, +2 Constitution)
The Skill bonus are also good. Jägerkin with +2 Endurance and +2 Intimidate seem right.
Warforged Mind (+1 will defence) could be renamed Loyalty (Or something with a cool ring to it) and it would fit them.
The +2 bonus to saving throws against ongoing damage also seem appropriate. Rename Warforged Resolve and you also have a good ability for them.

You might even want to keep most of the other Living Construct traits. (Except for attached components)

Also if you don't have it use the D&DI writeup for Warforged instead of MM version.

WEContact

First Post
Yeah, I made the same call on the skill bonuses. Now, I haven't actually played D&D before; would I be falling unconcious with any sort of frequency? Warrior's Surge (and Student of Battle later) is supposed to help my Cleric avoid that, isn't it?

EDIT: Ha, too slow replying to you, Surgoshan. Dragon, were the Jägers constructs? I never really thought about how they got into the old Heterodyne's service in the first place. Hmmm. I'll definitely take a long looked at the Warforged stuff; they do seem to fit well. Thanks kindly.

Last edited:

dragon_eater

First Post
Dragon, were the Jägers constructs? I never really thought about how they got into the old Heterodyne's service in the first place..

Yup, they're constructs, though that generally means something different in the world of Girl Genius then in does in D&D.

From the Girl Genius cast page
The Jägermonsters
Enthusiastic construct soldiers created in the days when the Heterodyne ancestors were somewhat less than heroic. They are tough, crazed and possibly immortal. In the absence of their original masters, they have hired on as mercenaries to the Baron, but never gave up hope that the Heterodynes would return.

Remove ads