James Bond plays D&D!

herald

First Post
Nicest editor I ever wrote to.

Back in Dragon's 1e heyday, I wrote a character concept for the game. It was a split class thief concept similar to the thief acrobat, but it was called the thief/mountebank, basically a D&D con man. I had charts and special abilities and had all the crunchy bits worked out. I was about 18 or 19 years old at the time.

So, happy in my new creation, I sent of my creation, (fresh of my Panasonic dot matrix printer) with a return address envelope.

When I got a envelope back. (Fat with the material that I wrote) I knew that it was rejected. Feeling kinda bummed, I opened it up, it was a standard boilerplate rejection letter from Dragon this a check list of why it wasn't accepted. The one that was check was something like, "Not looking for this type of material at this time."

But I was hearted by the foot notes that Rodger put at the bottom of the material. He had taken time to show me what worked and what didn't work. I believe if my memory servers that he suggested not doing the split class thing and rewriting it as a NPC class. He also mentioned that he would be glad to review it again after I made these changes.

Well needless to say, I never got back to him again, By the time that I had time to work on it, second addition was primed to come out and I could see the way the wind was blowing for Dragon. I vowed to always keep the rejection letter from Dragon, but sadly like most things you keep safe and secure, it is now long forgotten somewhere, undoubtedly in a land fill or recycled. Still it was a memory that I will hold onto as my small attempt to enter the world of game publishing.

I would like to meet Roger if I could for taking the time to carefully judge the work of an amateur and thoughtfully comment on how to improve one's work.

King_Stannis

Explorer
ahh, yes...the TSR rejection letter.

you have reason to feel good about the one you got. good ole' michelle vukovich didn't even personalize her letter at all :(

actually, i have no ill-feelings. in retrospect, the adventure was not that good. but still, there's something soul-crushing about getting that fat return envelope back.

grodog

Hero
Roger E. Moore's current activities

Last I'd heard, from Roger back in the fall, he wasn't working on D&D anymore and had sold all of his stuff, etc., after he was laid off from WotC.
I wasn't aware that he had done any writing after the initial Perilous Gateways articles on the WotC web site. Anyone know more?

Remove ads