DDAL Jasper DMS Season 9 & Descent into Avernus Adventure League

jasper

Rotten DM
The guy buying back Little Timmy's soul coin. And other parts of the game.

Attachments

• 20200221_175657.jpg
    20200221_175657.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 325
  • 20200221_175658.jpg
    20200221_175658.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 316
  • 20200221_205137.jpg
    20200221_205137.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 324
  • 20200221_205138.jpg
    20200221_205138.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 339
  • 20200221_210323.jpg
    20200221_210323.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 311
  • 20200221_210324.jpg
    20200221_210324.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 364
  • 20200221_213252.jpg
    20200221_213252.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 347
  • 20200221_213304.jpg
    20200221_213304.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 304
  • 20200221_213305.jpg
    20200221_213305.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 293
  • 20200221_213306.jpg
    20200221_213306.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 317
  • 20200221_213311.jpg
    20200221_213311.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 299

jasper

Rotten DM
Gripe Gripe Whimper Whine. The rules guru had an attack of the rules lawyer Friday Night. I would go to describe the scene and not even finish before he was throwing rules at me. And tell the people that would not happen, or no one could see the scene because of the rules. At table; I had to tell him, to let me finish a scene. Also I did not put down half the jokes about the people hanging on the trees. Insert Bad BAD off color jokes.
I had just wanted to do an info dump from Jander Sunstar and let the group play in the hellwasp nest. Players. Sigh.

jasper

Rotten DM
DDAL09-08 session

In the Garden of Evil

Day 14

PC Killed 2 Monster Killed 122 Villains Capture 9 Villains Escaped 0

Gain a level. 240 GP. 20 Downtime days

Magic Items Arrow Catching Shield, Soul Coin, Potion of Greater Healing

Story Awards Holy Protector -Filled with the pride and glory she once felt in the vanguard of the Hellriders, you have guided Zhalruban to her redemption. She has found her purpose in Dara’s mission and taken to the chosen of Ilmater as steadfastly as she did for Shalrel, her previous master. Zhalruban now serves as a guide, protector, and mount for Dara in all future adventures.

I had a very strong group of eight. Markov Wizard 10. Surahana Paladin 5 Rogue 4. Hanrzo Bard 9. Burt Bard 9. Kyth Fighter 6. Mimi Swashbuckler 5 Gloom stalker 3. Ander Druid 8. Shade 8.

NOTE on Tier 2 Pregen. You get the Level and Gold, that is all. It can apply this to a newly created PC. Or an established Tier 1 or Tier 2 PC.

Note on Sold Souls. If you sold your soul, and died the PC is retired. This backdated to the start of the season.

The group is awoken by Fai Chen. Not only has the Emporium disappeared; so have their tents. About a quarter mile away they see the smoke of another campfire. When they arrive the find Clarence of Elturgard son of Homer. Squire to Sir Shalrel Prall. He has been recently wounded. Which is strange since he is a member of the original Hellriders and the raid was a hundred years ago. His knight was pulled into the forest by devils. The group leaves Dara and Fai Chen behind as guard and goes in search of the knight and the unicorn Zhalruban.

The forest is strange and disquieting. But the fruit of various trees are tempting. Burt and Shade partake of the evil fruit. And enjoy it. The rest of group look strangely at the two. The path opens up into a clearing. A lawn gnome is hugging the stalk of a huge daisy. Kyth approaches the daisy only to find out it is a death daisy which tries to kill him. As the party is wilting the daisy, some assassin vines attack the rear of the party. After a few rounds they destroy the bad veggies.

They continue further into the forest and come a devil named Malenkthis. Who has a staff embedded with about thirty soul coins. Instead of loot dropping him, they talk. They learn about Zhalruban and part of the deal she made to keep her knight safe. (Well no they didn’t the module is badly written in parts and with eight people I did not read out the missing box text.) But Burt and Shade enjoyed more fruit.

The group presses further into the evil forest, the trees and flowers mocking them as they go. They come across a tree with a forty-foot trunk and sixty foot branches. (AKA 150 + feet big battle map. I also mixed two encounters.) A chain devil is swinging from the branches and does not like city slickers. After some causal insults back and forth, the devil decides these city folk will make excellent fertilizer. He attacks and his partner wakes up for his nap. They call the coon hounds out of the tree and set them on the city slickers. Some of party members flee just out of range of the branches (Reskinned the chains as branches.)

During the fight when only Burt, Shade, Kyth, and Ander are still fighting on the tree. Burt is killed but before he dies he as Flo the Death Insurance sells person to deliver “Little Timmy’s” soul coin to a buddy on the material plane. So Burt gives up his soul so Little Timmy soul can be saved.

The group takes a short rest. Shade and now Ander are eating the strange fruit. What is going to happen to them.

The party arrives in the center of forest. They have discovered (Yes I skipped this because lack of handouts. I suggest the dm create handouts for various info dumps.) Shalrel has been tortured since they were captured. Zhalruban’s has fallen into a deep depression. The group is stopped by two chain devils and a bone devil as they try to enter Zhalruban’s den. Her heart has been removed from her and is across the den in a stone cage. The group knows if they return the heart, they can break the spell on Zhalruban. They charge. During the fight Mimi gets close to Zhalruban. Mimi hears voices. Tell Zhalruban the truth and she may be able to break the contract. Most of the party fights on while Mimi pleas with Zhalruban to listen to the truth. Finally, Mimi convinces the unicorn of truth. Zhalruban recognizes the devils have not kept to the bargain, she breaks herself free.

Note to players, the fruit does nothing at all.

Note this adventure had a lot of good idea seeds but they go nowhere. Some of information on page 11 and 12 conflict with each other. I did a blend of the information. I suggest other DMs just skip this or hack the all the module together.

jasper

Rotten DM
Descent into Avernus Session 9

Get out of the House

Or Stealing Lunch Money

Day 17

PC Killed 3 Monsters Killed 187 Villains Captured 13 Villains Escaped 5

If you didn’t level last week, level this week. Or log four hours and 120 GP.

Magic Items One Soul Coin each.

I had a very strong group of seven. Surahana Paladin 5 Rogue 5. Shroudie Rogue 4 Wizard 5. Jeffery Darhma Monk 5 Paladin 5. Shade Bard 9. Job Blackwing Wizard 6 Fighter 2. Brandy Cleric 8. Mimi Dear Rogue 5 Ranger 4. They were generally over level for most encounters.

The group was trying to find the Spawning Trees. They got lost and stopped at an out house to ask a local imp for directions. Emery gave them directions and took the toilet paper with him. Just as he disappeared around a corner a huge chain link nearly kills Job. The party investigates and discovers the link is similar to the links drawing Elturel down into hell. They make a note of it and Job steals the outhouse.

They take another wrong turn and arrive at Mahadi’s Emporium. Which is a problem, since Jeffery is banished from the location. Job is trying to figure out a way to sneak him in when Bud the imp approaches the group with a fool proof idea. About a hundred imps roll out a five-foot wide barrel of beer, dozens of imps pick Jeffery up and shove him into the barrel and bung down the lid.

Bud “He be none the wiser. And the Troll skull Manor franchise has a new beer. Monk beer.” He then whispers to Jeffery. “Us Imps talk. And my cousins Pabst remember your friend killing him and shoving him into a beer barrel.” The flock of imps roll the barrel pass Mahadi and into the Troll Skull Manor franchise.

Meanwhile some deals are being made. (Note with the various advice, and clarifications on the AL Facebook page, I went off book for some magic items.) Shroudie sold his soul to Mahadi for a plus two hellfire dagger. Job traded some soul coins for a displacer beast. Shade traded some soul coins for working wings while maintain his hellish rebuke. Note since this season seems to want you to trade, use, burn soul coins I allowed this.

They get back on the road with Job sitting on top of the outhouse. Everything is going find until Shade hits a local farmers chicken coop. Twenty Abyssal Chickens attack the party. They are made short work on and they group travel down the road a bit.

Unfortunately, Route 666 is currently under construction. They see two supervisors, watching two tar pourers order poor Krikendolt who is spreading tar over the dirt road. The supervisor is not impressed with Mimi’s smack talk and most of the bearded devils attack. Well except for Krikendolt who tries to flee. The group murders the poor construction crew but let Krikendolt live after stealing his luck money and his lunch a live abyssal chicken. Krikendolt does give directions to tower of Urm.

The group arrive at the Tower of Urm to met two local chaps Torgrazk and Shranl who have just arrived also. Their mission is to kill Mordenkainen who owns the traveling tower and has not paid Zariel for a travel show permit. The group decides to kill Mordenkainen. One slight problem. His guest list of a Nycaloth and nine Mezzoloths are upset and decide the group are free lunch. Just peel and eat. And the fight begins. (Note no map is given of the tower, DMs will have to make a map.)

The Mezzoloths do a great job locking the party down on the first floor and second floor landing. Killing Mimi after a very hard fight. But this enrages the rest of group who finally gain a foot hold on the second floor and start wiping out the few remaining guests. Mordenkainen not wanting to deal with rude house guest teleports the tower away. Dropping the people on the second floor down to the plains of hell.

A note floats down as the group is dusting itself off. “Look for directions for what you seek at the Obelisk. AND WIPE YOUR FEET NEXT TIME.” Signed Mordenkainen.

We will pick up next time on the road to the Obelisk. The new tormentor only has the driver position and one day of fuel left.

Attachments

• 20200228_182008.jpg
    20200228_182008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 323
  • 20200228_204806.jpg
    20200228_204806.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 288
  • 20200228_213531.jpg
    20200228_213531.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 300

jasper

Rotten DM
Ok, I walked into the Dollar Tree to buy a new dry eraser. Why the dollar tree has an OUTHOUSE in its Easter Basket stuffing display I don't know. But I thought would be a nice prop. I did not think Job would steal it for the war machine.
Poor Shroudie. The player can be convince to do anything. Even after I warned him, his pc would be retired if I killed him.
Also I was surprise at locking down the pcs in the tower. The cloud kill and lack of movement helped the monsters.

jasper

Rotten DM
Descent into Avernus Session 10

General Chaos

Or Private Foul up

Day 18

PC Killed 3 Monsters Killed 199 Villains Captured 13 Villains Escaped 5

Advance to level 11. 240 gp per level. Downtime 20 per level

Magic Items. Dimensional Shackles.

STAT BUMP SAY AGAIN STAT BUMP +1 to INT or WIS.

Your conditions are gone.

Allies How this work I don’t know. Ubbalux. Colonel Olanthius. Kostchtchie.

Story Award Mephistopheles Knows.

I had an average group of four. Arborn Warlock 5 Ranger 5. Shade bard 10. Jersey Wizard 7 Rogue 2. Maxwell sorcerer 5.

I had some starting problems since I was not planning to run the book but a module. But the city cancelled River Region Con. Also, my evil players notice I was trying to read the book before the game and engaged me in small talk. We did get a late start of 6:27.

The group was only using the demon grinder. (Which has been modified again. And yes, the owner can at a horn which plays Dixie. No cost. But post pictures of here in the thread.) In the distance they see an Obelisk surround by circle eight standing stones. A slightly mad wizard can not leave the circle, unless he figures out the code. But he needs help, if everyone would clap their hands to one stone and say the magic word he may escape. Most of them place their hands on one, one of them gets greedy. The magic words “Pizza. Pizza” are spoken and magic happens. Jersey is surrounded a swarm of tiny magic little ponies. Shade gets a monodrone and true seeing. The others take five magic missiles to the face. However, the wizard Ubbalux is still trapped. He tosses Jersey a magic mirror and tell them to follow its direction.

The mirror is tied into the HPS. Hell Positioning System. It will take them to the BLOODLESS CITADEL. It mostly works and except for Jersey they take a short rest. But then the free trial period fails, leaving them stranded. All Alone on the planes of Hell. No one in sight.

Well except for Rigorath’s Rest Stop which is only 500 feet away. Rigorath Rest Stop “Having no Toilet paper before it was cool”. Rigorath wears a jughead hat and asks you call him Gomer. Rigorath checks the oil on the war machine, it is a pint short but no worries. He can sell the group a map to the Bloodless Citadel but he needs a favor.

Dam yes dam up the River Styx he will give you a stat bump and help free the wizard Ubbalux. But one minor problem. The Bomber Baazit has been locked up by Deputy Barney Bethump. Baazit has the boom sticks. Just take a turn pass Floyd’s Barber shop, follow the red road until there is no more road. The group follows directions frees Baazit and get the boom sticks.

Baazit tells them the sticks must be drilled two rounds deep into the cliff. There is a certain placement order and firing order. On watch out for the hell combat air patrol. The CAP does show up and the adventurers destroy it. BOOM. The river Styx is dammed.

Gomer gives them they and map to Hellriders Crypt. When they get arrive, Jersey notices the key is for the rest room. Arborn is able to misty step to inside of the crypt, and see the pass code written on the wall. The door opens. The group enters. Arborn goes west. Shade goes east. Maxwell and Jersey stay in the center.

Both of the flankers are looking into two near identical rooms. Arborn’s is totally square. Shade’s room is missing a piece. While Arborn is yelling and asking for guidance, Shade decides to shift through the ashes in the burial room.

(Note again I did not read ahead. The map duplicates rooms. I miss read that initial and just did one room.)

Three ghosts arise from the ashes. Totally ticked off their peaceful slumber has been broken. They go to kill these intruders. Jersey flees and the rest fight. The crypt shakes in angry and everyone runs outside.

To see the arrival of Colonel Olanthius who is pulling up in his two-gorgon chariot with matching gorgon leather sides. As Olanthius is slowly putting his chariot in park, the group either engages him in conversion or spread out so they are not in fireball formation. In fact, Jersey spread out so far, he was pretending to pull maintenance on the war machine.

(My fault here. I should do a recap of the main issues and plot point at the beginning of the session. But some of the pcs were about to throw down. The players could not remember why they were here, etc.)

Private Shade finally calms the Colonel down. But to make up for messing up the crypt, they must proceed to the Ulloch arches (SNARK just an encounter to make you pull the map out the book) and follow the directions to Kostchtchie’s Maw. They will proceed to free Kostchtchie.

The arches did not even have a drive thru but they were a lovely golden.

At the maw, they look down a five hundred feet cliff. At the base of the cliff is a demon lord yelling in Giant and Abyssal. The group cast comprehend languages to know he wants out and his hammer. He is unguarded but in a pit of tar up to his knees. (no notes on how to free the lord, or ac of the chains, or anything else is given.)

Shade thinks if Kostchtchie is polymorphed into a bird he would be able to escape his chains. But the group can’t communicate this to him, until Jersey produces this tongue scroll and casts it. Jersey stays at the top with the engine running on the war machine while the rest fly down.

Shade gets to eye level with the fiend and about twenty feet away. Maxwell and Arborn are higher maintain overwatch. As Shade starts talking to Kostchtchie about the polymorph when four hell hounds erupt from the base of cliff and some chains arise from the tar pit. Arborn and Maxwell take out the puppies. Shade cast polymorph on the fiend. They all fly to top of cliff ticking of the chain devil.

Kostchtchie morphs back into himself. Farts in the pcs’ faces and wind walks off.

The END. We will start next week in Chapter 4. Page 134. Low Tier 3.

DM grumble. Some the encounters on this track of the book can be finished with a single die roll. I hack and mashed part of these pages to make more interesting.

jasper

Rotten DM
DDAL09-09 session

Ruined Prospects

Day 16

PC Killed 5 Monster Killed 157 Villains Capture 9 Villains Escaped 0

Magic Items. Heward’s Handy Haversack, Soul Coin, 5 +2 crossbow bolts, Potion of greater healing.

Gain A level. 240 gp. 20 down time days.

I had a strong group of six. Wenek monk 10. Ava Ranger 5 fighter 2. Heskan the Mad Sorcerer 9. Elena Gobsmack bard 5 warlock 1. Rauf of the Sand Druid. Mimi Rogue 5 Ranger 4.

A few hundred years agon Weatherstone keep belong to Lord Drsysdale the eighth. Who offered up the souls of his peasants for wealth and to marry the most beautiful women of the lands. All his marriages were barren, and as he lay dying, he curses his lands so he takes it with him. The town and keep were dragged down into hell. During the Zariel retreat Glanring Ironbelly offer up his soul if Torm would protect Zariel. This tick off Torm and he entombed Ironbelly in a glass coffin which only could be open when the time came to restore Zariel. That time is today.

The group arrives near the town on the only high hill which proves cover and overwatch. The front gate of the keep is closed by a portcullis. However, a small breach is in the entranceway, which they could low crawl thru. A roving of about 15 devils are in town near the keep. The group decides to wait till the patrol moves away from keep and enter through the crawl space.

Two barded devils Jeb and Elly spy the group and start taking bets on their success. As the group gets into the entrance way, Elena trips a trap and a bucket of dungeon droppings falls on her. Elly pays off Jeb on a bet. Jeb and Elly trade barbs with the pcs and ask if they want to take bets on if the party will last. No one take them up on the offer. Ava after three tries of opening the main door amuses Jeb so much that he opens the second portcullis and opens the door.

The group has two choices. Open the two main doors, or open the side door. The group opens the side door and Jeb pays off his bet to Elly. See a well persevered skeleton Wenek attacks it. Ticking off the ghost of Kelda Ironbelly. After a few exchanges of blows, the both sides chill. Kelda tells the group how to get the secret door open, and gives then her magical sack. And tells them to give a kiss to her brother.

The group opens the side door to main hall. Mimi rushes in and kills three imps off the bat. The rest of group rushes and attack the imps and chain devils. Some use pot shots and hide outside. Others stand fast. Elena is captured by the chain devils, who tell the group to leave or else. The rest of group choose else, and the chain devils kill the goblin. (Read half the party was outside my attack range.) The fight continues with Heskan being dropped. He makes a deal with devil insurance guy. Just as he signs his soul away. He is saved by Rauf of the sand, and the last devil drops.

The group takes a short rest. Finding the key to the secret entrance, they use it. Walking, running, and flying down the corridor they take a little bit of damage. They find the tower chamber and figure out the four-part key. (This room is more for the bonus objectives). They are then transported to bowl chamber. In the center of chamber is a glass platform which they have been transport too. Below them is a glass coffin with Ironbelly in it. On it is statue of Torm which starts radiating good feelings. Just as they are getting their bearings the first wave comes in. Strangely they don’t attack the heroes but Torm’s statue. The party scatters on command of the druid. When they most do. The druid casts insect plague to great effect. With everyone either out the bowl, or flying over the bowl, the group defeats the first wave. During the second wave Heskan the Mad is kill. Setting a record of selling his soul and dying three hours later. The group defeats the second wave when the third wave arrives. The group kills off the minor devil but the boss Zeliathe takes Ava with him.

Note the Call to Action fight I dropped. I had to bring up the map editor and add in parts which were in the description but not on the map. This had some interesting ideas but bad editing hurts the module. The editing also makes it difficult to run. Only experience dms should run this and only reading before hand and take notes.
Enworld note. the monsters killed also reflect a pick up game of 09-07 I ran Saturday but I am not going to write that up.

jasper

Rotten DM
DDAL09-10 Session

Tipping the Scales or The Lemonade Gang flies um rides, um falls?

Day 17

PC Killed 5 Monster Killed 167 Villains Capture 9 Villains Escaped 0

Gain A level. 240 gp. 20 down time days. If you want.

Magic Items Ring of Free Action, Potion of Cold Resistance, potion of Heroism, Potion of Fire Breath, 1 Soul coin. Remember Soul Coins are consumable not permanent magic items.

One vial each of Toxic Hell Lice The vial contains enough bile to coat one creature and takes ten minutes to apply. For the next hour, attacks made against the wearer by hellwasps, rot grubs, and carrion crawlers are made with disadvantage. Gee DM, read the freaking box text during the game.

Gripe Gripe Gripe Some time this season all my monsters are going to get high initiative and the party is going to pay, but not this session.

With the partial opening of the state, I decided to host a game at my house. Everyone who RSVP either made it or contact me to cancel. So those people have first dibs next Saturday for 09-11 Tier 2. The game started at 6:30 and ended at 8:59. I was only running the main plot and not the bonus encounters. I was not really prepared as most of box text notes which I created for the module were on a pc which I did not have access to. So, I was half way winging it.

I had a strong group of five. Boris Fighter 8. Wenek Monk 10. Sukua Wizard 10. Brandy Cleric 9. John Jacob Paladin 10.

Dara threw all the kids in the SUV and dumped out the back by slamming on the brakes and then gunning it. Pulling off in a cloud of dust she threw their quarantine adventuring permission slips out the window. A millennium or two ago GMorian a silver dragon and beautiful elf (why is always an elf) name Lassa fell into true love. (don’t go there). However, Lassa had some issues. She did not think she was good enough for the dragon. So, she sold her soul to the Ice Ice Baby Devil Gee Zee, for make up hints, how to woo your lover books, and other tips. Just before the wedding day while filming for “Say yes to the Dress” Lassa slipped on a nasty patch of ice and died. GMorian learned of the contract and challenge Gee Zee to a battle royal. They been fighting for over a thousand years or so. Who knows time moves slowly in hell.

Dara’s permission slip told the group to climb down into the Avernus Strip (Put your clothes back on Boris) Mine Number 13. The devils used mine in the blood war to obtain resources to create weapons and armour. It is twelve miles across and the cliff they are at is 750 feet high. There are rope ladders leading down into the pit and a small badly camouflaged pup tent. In the tent is Vinny a bearded devil who barely escaped with her life from the Ice Devil’s Icee Stadium for selling unauthorized blueberry and cola Ice bile. (A very refreshing drink. Stop at your stop and rob and get yours.) Vinny wants souls for the ice bile and she has some information.

While John Jacob and Brandy are dealing with Vinny, the rest of group are trying to decide which rope ladder to use to get down to safely. John Jacob says he trade Vinny a soul coin for two vials of ice bile and Brandy will let her live. Vinny agrees. Vinny books to become a lawyer in Alabama. With the trading of soul coin John Jacob gains the story award Stain Upon My Soul.

Boris being bored with all the talk and being bored. (and the player not having a game in a month.) Yeats Sukua off the cliff. (DM What a Yeats? That is player vs player. Um.) Boris picks the gnome up and wins the universe record for safe gnome tossing by casting feather fall on Sukua and toss him down to the fourth ledge.

Boris, “Missed I as trying to hit bottom with him. “He then grabs John Jacob and Yeats both of them off the top of mine and aims for the bottom.

(OKAY. OKAY. OKAY. In one bored action, this triggers all four encounters at once. )

The monk Wenek spider climbs down toward bottom. Brandy always chooses the wrong rope ladder to get to bottom. Hellwasps, undead, and gravity oh my. They group fight off the monsters will only needing a short rest. Then they need to work through the swamp.

During their swamp travels some of the pc gain a level or two of exhaustion. They also discover Hollywood quicksand and one war machine railroad push cart. (Yes, I stole the quicksand scene from Blazing Saddles and John Jacob wanted the push cart. Push cart gives the user +10 feet of movement and holds two.) Just as they are leaving the swamp an Imp tries to sell his first customers in thirty-three years. Instead of buying it, they murder the imp. Steal the 10 gallons of Lemonade. And burn down the Lemonade stand.

They get to Ice Devil’s Icee Stadium. They see the dragon GMorian in an epic battle against Ice Ice Baby Devil Gee Zee of Dragon Chess. John Jacob is interesting as he gets +3 due being proficient in Dragon Chess. The group scout a little and find out the devil is cheating at Dragon Chess. (Gee a devil cheating.) They decide to lay their souls on the line and off an ICE CAGE SUMMISION MATCH against the Ice Devil and his minions. John Jacob is pouting because he wanted to play chess.

So, the battle begins in thirty by thirty cube made of clear ice, the adventures vs the Ice Devils. With the ice devils being arrogant they let the pcs attack first. This is a losing strategy as the party TKOs two of the wrestlers before the devils go. (OK my initiatives were 6 and 8). The group wins in three rounds and the devil releases the pcs, the dragon and his elf lover.

Remove ads