• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Jeremy Crawford discusses what are the 2024 Fitfh Edition Core Rulebooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously.

It would be nice if the powers that be could at least PRETEND to treat the Monk better than the help at a Hamptons party.

This far in and they are already retrenching on the playtest ... and they still haven't told us what the design goal for the Monk would have been.

It would have been nice to at least have had some dreams to be dashed!

I think its less treating monks as second class then the monk being trickier to balance.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I think its less treating monks as second class then the monk being trickier to balance.

Maybe! Gotta think that they had issues with balancing the other classes, too!

I still think that they were about to publish the last one, and at the last second they were like ...

Wait a second. Feel like we're forgetting something. Hmmmm.... is it the artificer? No ... we decided not to do that. Huh.

I know! We were going to do the Sorcerer! Oh. We did the Sorcerer? Are you sure? Really? Okay then. Totally drawing a blank...

DMs being responsible for the majority of their sales is a good reason to cater to them at a bit faster pace than maybe after a decade ;)
You keep saying this, but I am not sure it is true. What do you think is needed and not provided? I have yet to hear my DM complain about of lack of support at any point in the past 9 years and we’ve lived together for 31 years - so I know he can complain!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
that was the only time in the 50 year history of D&D that they used the weird .5 thing. Seriously, what is that?
Because calling it "Fourth Edition" after three years would have been even more embarrassing.

I really don't get how some people are clamoring for the "clarity" of a ".5 half-edition" versus "these rules are coming out in 2024, so we are calling them 2024 rules." Sure, both are marketing, but at least the latter is tautological and my 6 year old won't need me to explain the concept.

I think there will be 2 or maybe 3 more of the PHB playtests left if we do get the next one this month, that brings them to August or October and I think they will want to be ready to go by early next year on 2024 PHB.

So far they seem to be done with races (we will likely know by the time we see the next packet as its the last one with "experimental" content like the Monk), feat systems, subclass systems, spell systems, that leaves them refining the classes and filling in the blanks for subclasses, new & revised spells & feats, that likely won't take more then 3, 4 at most to accomplish, although I doubt it'll be 4 as increasingly I think things are locking down.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And the monk class.

I'm curious if it'll also have more spells, feats, and subclasses, or anything else, and if it'll have anything major experimental beyond the Monk?
I think that 7 Base Classes is a minimum expectation, maybe all the Subclasses for the revised Classes. Don't expect too much in terms of Spells or Feats moving forwards.
Seriously.

It would be nice if the powers that be could at least PRETEND to treat the Monk better than the help at a Hamptons party.

This far in and they are already retrenching on the playtest ... and they still haven't told us what the design goal for the Monk would have been.

It would have been nice to at least have had some dreams to be dashed!
I think they wanted to test the waters with the Warlock before putting the Monk out there, since they are on the same progression scheme. How people reacted to the half-caster long rest Warlock st first blush may determine what they put out for the Monk. The Monk also has the thorniest issues to handle of all the Classes, as they've promised to disentangle the Class from Orientalist stereotypes in addition to mechanical adjustments.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think there will be 2 or maybe 3 more of the PHB playtests left if we do get the next one this month, that brings them to August or October and I think they will want to be ready to go by early next year on 2024 PHB.

So far they seem to be done with races (we will likely know by the time we see the next packet as its the last one with "experimental" content like the Monk), feat systems, subclass systems, spell systems, that leaves them refining the classes and filling in the blanks for subclasses, new & revised spells & feats, that likely won't take more then 3, 4 at most to accomplish, although I doubt it'll be 4 as increasingly I think things are locking down.
Yeah, that sounds about right: 3 or 4 more tests to get a feel for what's important and exciting to players, them they take the results to private playtesting to tinker and refine the math. I don't think theybare aiming for super early next year, Summer to Fall has been the historic release window for PHBs

Zaukrie

New Publisher
My real fear so far is that they are going to do what Next did in its waning months; cave to the loudest voices advocating for status quo. For example, this is the first time I really feel 2014 style wild shape will return in some type of "pick from these X options" rather than allowing PCs to decide if they are wolves or tigers or owlbears. That they will minimize or eliminate weapon mastery because people demanded it be 4e style ADEU powers for martials rather than riders to enhance fighter attacks. Its that kind of backtracking that took the best part of the Next Fighter (battle dice and maneuvers) and hid it in a single subclass. I guess we'll find in about a month.
This is my concern also. That the status quo will win, and we won't see enough change. Look, if the base rules are the same, you can use all your 5e monsters and adventures, but please fix/update/make more interesting the PCs (bad sentence, sorry).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads