Jericho 11/1/06 (Spoilers)

I missed last week's episode (the only one so far), but apparently, I missed a lot... so, the cities weren't nuked by ICBMs, but by guys in trucks with suicide switches? So what was with the ICBMs that got launched two episodes ago? And something took out the power?

As for this week... not much really exciting, but it certainly looks like next week will be...

Ranger REG

Explorer
David Howery said:
I missed last week's episode (the only one so far), but apparently, I missed a lot... so, the cities weren't nuked by ICBMs, but by guys in trucks with suicide switches? So what was with the ICBMs that got launched two episodes ago? And something took out the power?

As for this week... not much really exciting, but it certainly looks like next week will be...
According to Gray, NY managed to capture two suicide bombers who were ready to blow up their truck. If similar tactics were used at other cities such as Washington, DC, then they gotta be at least hydrogen bombs. Also according to Gray, FEMA have set up a local center at Rogue River.

lrsach01

Explorer
Gray said the captured bombers had their device in a 55-gallon drum....didn't we see Hawkins sealing a 55-gallon drum up in his basement?

Henry

Autoexreginated
HUH.... Hawkins, national traitor & conspirator?

I thought Gray was a moron, and Jake was dead-on for the whole episode. Like it or not, they NEED an alliance with folks like Elizabeth's dad, who can get them supplies, and even act in allied defense, if things start really going south. I think Gray was overreacting to the horrors he experienced while on the road.

Shalimar

First Post
I think Gray was just latching on to the first thing he could throw his weight on. He wants to be in command, by bulling his way over people's objections and being seen to be doing something he gets to show that he is a man of action and should be in charge.

DonTadow

First Post
I felt myself really having to suspend my belief this episode, though I still enjoyed it. I just couldnt fathom having a full on halloween when you have no idea what is going on in other places in the country. The actors in the backgrond seemto oblivious to any type of crisis

Arnwyn

First Post
I found this episode more enjoyable than others. It was nice to find out what was going on outside the town. Next episode seems like it will be even better (outside of town!).

Weird about the ICBM launches, though. Who're they shooting at?

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'm also glad they acknowledged that older cars wouldn't be nailed by an EMPulse. And, big sap that I am, the Jake/Heather moment was a long time in coming. If she didn't "stake her claim," then blondie likely could have, again.

I'm liking Sprague Grayden (always have ever since John Doe). She's a great "everyman" type of girl. :)

Tiberius

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
According to Gray, NY managed to capture two suicide bombers who were ready to blow up their truck. If similar tactics were used at other cities such as Washington, DC, then they gotta be at least hydrogen bombs. Also according to Gray, FEMA have set up a local center at Rogue River.

I dunno. The stated 20kt yield of one of the nearby attacks is approximately equal to the Hiroshima & Nagasaki blasts, which were caused by fission devices. While Fat Man and Little Boy were sufficiently large to require B-29s to deliver, 60 years of miniaturization could conceivably produce weapons of that nature that could fit inside a 55-gallon drum.

On the other hand, for Washington to be "gone" a larger weapon would be required. The atomic bombings of Japan were airbursts to maximize blast damage, and the 13kt and 21kt yields at Hiroshima and Nagasaki (respectively) only caused total destruction within a mile radius of the blast sites. Using these as examples, we can see that an explosion of that size isn't sufficient to totally obliterate a city, (especially if the buildings were designed with the idea that they'd be the target of Soviet multi-megaton city-busters in mind).

The fact that the MO seems to be truck bombs would indicate that the blast would cause less initial damage than our real-world examples, but would be much dirtier. So either the attackers used bigger bombs for bigger cities, or we're dealing with different definitions of "gone".

Remove ads