D&D General JMISBEST's questions. Most of them about campaign ideas that either he or A GM he knows has and wants to know what people think

JMISBEST

Explorer
So they disagreed with the plan to unite humanity as a single peaceful democracy? Why did they disagree with that? I'm curious what the rationale is for not wanting peace and tranquility.
They agree, now agreed, with what he wants to achieve, uniting humanity under a single peaceful democracy which will bring peace, unity and tranquillity to the entire world, but not what he's willing to do to achieve, making it happen by using his super human level of hypnosis based mind control to enslave humanity

Inukai

Explorer
Wait. Now
They agree, now agreed, with what he wants to achieve, uniting humanity under a single peaceful democracy which will bring peace, unity and tranquillity to the entire world, but not what he's willing to do to achieve, making it happen by using his super human level of hypnosis based mind control to enslave humanity
Wait. Now I am confused. You said that 4 PCs agreed with the villain's plan (world peace), but not with how he intended to do it (mass hypnosis) and that the other 2 PCs disagreed with the plan, which I thought you clarified as the world peace part. Now you're saying that the 2 agreed with the peace but not the hypnosis? Can you state specifically what the 2 PCs who disagreed actually disagreed with? Because right now it looks like (to me) all 6 agreed with the plan but not how it would be achieved.

mamba

Legend
let me get this straight… so all 6 players agreed with the goal of uniting humanity, but ‘only’ 4 were ok with his way of doing so, while two did not like it?

That is not how your original post read

A example of that from A Deamon Headmaster RPG I made in 2,008 that got cancelled after the 3rd session is that 4 of The 6 Pcs agreed, but would never admit it, not even to each other, with The Deamon Headmasters plan to unite both the entire planet and the entire human race under a single world wide government that was a peaceful, tranquuil democracy but not what he was willing to do to achieve it, meaning using his super-human level of hypnosis based mind control to make it happen by using hypnosis to enslave the human race
this says 4 agree with the goal, but none with the way of achieving it

JMISBEST

Explorer
let me get this straight… so all 6 players agreed with the goal of uniting humanity, but ‘only’ 4 were ok with his way of doing so, while two did not like it?

That is not how your original post read

this says 4 agree with the goal, but none with the way of achieving it
In the RPG the events I described happened between the start of of Book 1 and roughly half of the time between Book 1 and Book 2, not sure about how much time passed in the Books between Book 1 and Book 2 but in The RPG it was 15 months, so it covered the events from th up until 7 and a half months after Book 1, so long enough for them to learn, in The RPG not the Books, that The Deamon Headmasters back to his old tricks

Something I've rememb5ered in the last 5 minutes is that The Deamon Headmaster was impressed enough with those that stopped him the 1st time that he persuaded 4 of them to meet him and hear what his ultimate plan was, sadly the 2 Player Characters that opposed The Deamon Headmasters ultimate plan did so without even learning what it was simply because the plan was made by The Deamon Headmaster

The players whose characters did go to meet him and hear him out, Lloyd Hunter, Harvey Hunter, Ian(can't remember his surname or if its even mentioned) and Dianna Glass, admitted to him that they agreed with what he was trying to achieve but not what he was willing to do to achieve, Diana even wore glass's she'd made that would allow her to look him in the eye without him being able to hypnotise her

In case your wondering how we covered everything in Book 1 and half of the time that passed between Book 1 and Book 2 in only 3 sessions its because my group decided to do 3 14 hour long sessions, looking back doing 3 14 hour long sessions in less then 3 weeks is likely what caused the stress that caused the group to break up

Omand

Hero
I was going to stay out of this, and I may regret chiming in, but ...

@JMISBEST if you honestly want to know why people may not be responding to you and your posts, consider the following:

1) As @Zardnaar noted upthread in Post #22 most of what you post are questions that only the DM running the campaign can answer. The answer most of the time is "it depends" on what you want to have happen.

2) Related to the first point, many of your "questions" are not questions at all, but rather just elaborate stories. if you want to do a story hour, that is something that can be engaged in on these boards, but you need to label things that way.

3) @greg kaye in Post #23 offers further advice on making your questions visible.

4) We have engaged in the past and you have admitted that you are an English speaker (which is the main language of this site), but that you have decided to create your own version of written English that only you use and understand. Your JMISBEST English does not follow standard English when it comes to date format, grammar, punctuation, syntax, etc. This makes it very hard to read and understand many of your posts.

If you were to start posting in more standard English you would likely get more responses. Using proper punctuation, spacing between lines, paragraphs, etc. make it much easier to read a post.

5) You never seem to provide the entire idea or story for any of your statements in the original post. This often seems to result in you chiming in later to tell people they are wrong or mistaken in their understanding of what you are saying. From my perspective, this often seems to come across as a "gotcha" moment where you get to tell someone they are wrong. That may not be your intent, but it is the way it comes across to me (and I suspect others as well).

For examples of this, see Posts #37, #39, #40, #41, #42, #43, and #44.

I would submit that it is your lack of clarity that is causing the confusion, not the ability of other posters to read your posts. If you give the full story, in a clear and edited format, you are much more likely to engage with other posters and get some quality feedback.

6) Finally, you really, really, like to frame everything as being done by a mate. Most of your stories are not yours, but a mate did this, a mate did that, a mate is thinking about running this, etc. Once you start talking in the thread, however, you tend to start shifting the language and inserting yourself into the conversation. You will drop in an "I" instead of "a mate" or something similar.

People do not like being taken for a ride (literal or figurative). If you want to air one of your ideas, take ownership of it from the start rather than blaming "a mate." You will be seen as more genuine and engaged this way. Right now you will lose engagement with many posters because you come across as deceptive.

I engaged with you when you first started posting because some of your earlier ideas were interesting. At the time I mistakenly thought that English was not your original language, and so I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt when it came to your messages. But, as you responded to me and to others in those early posts, your story kept changing. Also, you were given answers in threads by posters, and then posted later in the same thread asking why no one was responding on a specific point, when the point had been answered. This is similar to what I pointed out for this thread in section 5 above.

I stopped engaging with your posts because essentially my opinion became that you were trying to pull a fast one on everyone (or less grandma friendly, you were taking the pi** out of everyone). That in essence, you were mocking everyone with trying to get responses to your increasingly wild "my mate did this" stories while not actually caring about the answers.

If you honestly want engagement with your posts, consider the points I have made here and the feedback that other posters in the thread have given you. Addressing these points is likely to make it much easier for your future posts to gain more attention and productive responses.

Cheers :)

Edited for typos.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I was going to stay out of this, and I may regret chiming in, but ...

@JMISBEST if you honestly want to know why people may not be responding to you and your posts, consider the following:

1) As @Zardnaar noted upthread in Post #22 most of what you post are questions that only the DM running the campaign can answer. The answer most of the time is "it depends" on what you want to have happen.

2) Related to the first point, many of your "questions" are not questions at all, but rather just elaborate stories. if you want to do a story hour, that is something that can be engaged in on these boards, but you need to label things that way.

3) @greg kaye in Post #23 offers further advice on making your questions visible.

4) We have engaged in the past and you have admitted that you are an English speaker (which is the main language of this site), but that you have decided to create your own version of written English that only you use and understand. Your JMISBEST English does not follow standard English when it comes to date format, grammar, punctuation, syntax, etc. This makes it very hard to read and understand many of your posts.

If you were to start posting in more standard English you would likely get more responses. Using proper punctuation, spacing between lines, paragraphs, etc. make it much easier to read a post.

5) You never seem to provide the entire idea or story for any of your statements in the original post. This often seems to result in you chiming in later to tell people they are wrong or mistaken in their understanding of what you are saying. From my perspective, this often seems to come across as a "gotcha" moment where you get to tell someone they are wrong. That may not be your intent, but it is the way it comes across to me (and I suspect others as well).

For examples of this, see Posts #37, #39, #40, #41, #42, #43, and #44.

I would submit that it is your lack of clarity that is causing the confusion, not the ability of other posters to read your posts. If you give the full story, in a clear and edited format, you are much more likely to engage with other posters and get some quality feedback.

6) Finally, you really, really, like to frame everything as being done by a mate. Most of your stories are not yours, but a mate did this, a mate did that, a mate is thinking about running this, etc. Once you start talking in the thread, however, you tend to start shifting the language and inserting yourself into the conversation. You will drop in an "I" instead of "a mate" or something similar.

People do not like being taken for a ride (literal or figurative). If you want to air one of your ideas, take ownership of it from the start rather than blaming "a mate." You will be seen as more genuine and engaged this way. Right now you will lose engagement with many posters because you come across as deceptive.

I engaged with you when you first started posting because some of your earlier ideas were interesting. At the time I mistakenly thought that English was not your original language, and so I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt when it came to your messages. But, as you responded to me and to others in those early posts, your story kept changing. Also, you were given answers in threads by posters, and then posted later in the same thread asking why no one was responding on a specific point, when the point had been answered. This is similar to what I pointed out for this thread in section 5 above.

I stopped engaging with your posts because essentially my opinion became that you were trying to pull a fast one on everyone (or less grandma friendly, you were taking the pi** out of everyone). That in essence, you were mocking everyone with trying to get responses to your increasingly wild "my mate did this" stories while not actually caring about the answers.

If you honestly want engagement with your posts, consider the points I have made here and the feedback that other posters in the thread have given you. Addressing these points is likely to make it much easier for your future posts to gain more attention and productive responses.

Cheers :)

Edited for typos.
tough but fair read on this series of posts.

JMISBEST

Explorer
New thread

PS this is 1 of mine

Out of boredom I used a table a mate of mine made to generate a what-if inheritance for A Magic User for 1st edition Dnd I created but never used 8 years and I ended up with a surprising inheritance. If this happened in a actual campaign how troublesome would it be for A 1st level Magic User to have all this?

Both of her parents were very successful 6th level Magic Users and left her a total of 11 Spellbooks and 4 Spellscrolls that hold the following 14 1st level, 11 2nd level, 7 3rd level, 4 4th level and 1 5th level Spells

1st level

Affect Normal Fires, Burning Hands, Charm Person, Enlarge, Hold Portal, Light, Magic Missile, Message, Push, Shield, Sleep, Shocking Grasp, Spider Climb and Unseen Servant

2nd level

Continual Light, Detect Evil, ESP, False Trap, Forget, Fools Gold, Invisibility, Levitate, Ray of Enfeeblement, Scare and Web

3rd level

Dispel Magic, Fly, Infravision, Invisibility 15" radius, Monster Summoning I, Tiny Hut and Water Breathing

4th level

Confusion, Dig, Fumble and Polymorph Other

5th level

Teleport

Ooops I've just spotted a lot of mistakes in the last paragraph. Sorry

The correct version should say that they also left her 5 Spellscrolls and 3 tiny Books, and each of them tells how to use both Cacodeamon and Spiritwrack, but they don't actually contain the spells Cacodeamon and Spiritwrack, on 1 of the following 8 unholy foes. 3 Type I Deamons, 2 Vrocks, 1 Type II Deamon, 1 Type V Deamon and 1 Hydrodeamon

Last edited:

Reef

Hero
I haven’t looked at 1e in a long, long time. But I’m assuming a 1st level wizard couldn’t cast all those spells, even if they had them in a spell book. So I don’t see it being a problem at all. At best, they would just have easier access as they level, instead of having to search and/or buy the spells to record in their book.

In fact, if the DM wanted, it could be the opposite of empowering. This puny little 1st level wizard now has a trove (that they can’t use) that a whole lot of higher level wizards would likely kill for. Plot hooks galore.

Also (again, my 1e knowledge is rusty), didn’t wizards have to scribe spells into their own book before gaining access to them? So, just having them available for scribing, doesn’t necessarily give them automatic access to the,. They still need to make the Learn Spell roll, right?

Again, apologies if my rule knowledge is wrong. I have too many editions in my head. But I don’t see it being a problem, and in fact could generate an awesome amount of stories for the group.

JMISBEST

Explorer
I haven’t looked at 1e in a long, long time. But I’m assuming a 1st level wizard couldn’t cast all those spells, even if they had them in a spell book. So I don’t see it being a problem at all. At best, they would just have easier access as they level, instead of having to search and/or buy the spells to record in their book.

In fact, if the DM wanted, it could be the opposite of empowering. This puny little 1st level wizard now has a trove (that they can’t use) that a whole lot of higher level wizards would likely kill for. Plot hooks galore.

Also (again, my 1e knowledge is rusty), didn’t wizards have to scribe spells into their own book before gaining access to them? So, just having them available for scribing, doesn’t necessarily give them automatic access to the,. They still need to make the Learn Spell roll, right?

Again, apologies if my rule knowledge is wrong. I have too many editions in my head. But I don’t see it being a problem, and in fact could generate an awesome amount of stories for the group.
Your right they did have to inscribe Spells in their Spellbooks but in every 1e Dnd Campaign I've ever either GM'd or played in the magic user, and eventually Magic User Henchmen employed by The Fighters, have always saved time and Gold by simply taking the spellbooks of defeated enemy Magic Users

The rolls show that that's how her parents have 4 4th level and 1 5th level spells inscribed that they couldn't cast that weren't inscribed by her parents, meaning they were inscribed in 3 of the 5 Spellbooks that her parents took as loot from defeated enemy Magic Users

Last edited:

Remove ads