• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

John Wick 3- Should You See It?

lowkey13

Exterminate all rational thought
So, following is the John Wick 3 "Should I see It" Decision Tree:

1. Did you see John Wick? If yes, go to 3. If no, go to 2.

2. Why haven't you seen it? It's so very awesome. Go see it now, and then go to 1.

3. Yeah! You saw John Wick 2, too, didn't you. Man, good times. Okay, so if you've already seen John Wick 3, go to 4. If not, go to 5.

4. Woah. When are you seeing it again?

5. Why haven't you seen it yet? I mean, if you had, you would be talking about John Wick, instead of complaining about Game of Thrones. GO SEE IT.

So I saw JW3 (Parabellum) this weekend, and it was amazing. Here is my brief review-

Did you like the first two? Yeah? Well, this is even .... MORE. Look, it's rated R for a very good reason, and not because of language or nudity.

Just when you think it can't get any more awesome, it does. Did you like the Raid? Well, we have you covered. Do you want a little doggie revenge? We have dogs .... TACTICAL dogs. Have you ever thought to yourself- self, what would happen if JW brought a knife store to a gun fight?

Now you will find out.

Hear me now and believe me later- if you like John Wick, you will see this now. NOW.

That is all.

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
I really liked the first. I really didn't like the second. I thought the world became nonsensical and dumb.

Any chance I'd like the 3rd?

lowkey13

I really liked the first. I really didn't like the second. I thought the world became nonsensical and dumb.

Any chance I'd like the 3rd?
Hmmmm.... I didn't think that was possible!

I'd say that this is closer in spirit to 2 than 1, simply because it is bigger.

lowkey13

Also?

Brief plot synopsis of John Wick 3: Parabellum.

1. Someone messes with John Wick.

2. Should that person have messed with John Wick?

3. No. That person should not, in fact, have messed with John Wick.

lowkey13

Thanks! That's matches my impressions of the trailer, more's the pity.
Well, if I told you that:

1. He used a horse as a weapon; and

2. He used a book to absolutely MURDER an NBA player (learning- it puts the FUN in FUNDAMENTAL!); and

3. These were not, ever, remotely, the coolest or craziest parts of the movie; AND

4. You still had two hours to go ...

Does that change your mind at all? ;)

Ryujin

Adventurer
I love a well thought out plot, with fully fleshed-out and compelling characters, performed by extremely talented actors.

... but sometimes you just have to turn off your brain and enjoy the flow.

C

Catacombs

I'm a Keanu Reeves fan and have heard nothing but good things about the John Wick movies. I really need to step my game up.

lowkey13

I'm a Keanu Reeves fan and have heard nothing but good things about the John Wick movies. I really need to step my game up.
I think the question is - can you be a Keanu Reeves fan and not have seen John Wick?

It's like saying, "I'm a huge Sarah Michelle Gellar fan. What? Buffy the what slayer? No, never heard of it."

Bonus round-

Is Keanu Reeves the best action star of our generation, or of all generations?

Mustrum_Ridcully

Adventurer
I was a bit disappointed overall. There was a lot of cool stuff, but I guess it might have damaged my disbelief suspenders a bit in how over the top things went sometimes.
It seemed to me as if Wick didn't shake off that much damage in the previous movies.
He must have gotten more hit points, and I think he also has a pretty big Resist Bludgeoning Resistance (his Piercing and Slashing resistances are not as good).

Raunalyn

Explorer
I enjoyed the first movie a lot. It had that World of Darkness feel to it that really appealed to me. The second movie seemed a bit over the top; many of the action/fight sequences seemed too choreographed to me (example: John flips mook #2786, who proceeds to just sit there while John wiggles around and shoots mook #2787 - 3000 before shooting mook 2786 in the face. Mook 2786 does nothing at all, mind you, while this is occurring). Also, I had a problem with my suspension of disbelief in the 2nd movie; it seemed that everyone was an assassin in that movie. Not only that, but no one seemed overtly bothered by two people shooting at each other in the middle of a crowded subway station.

lowkey13

I was a bit disappointed overall. There was a lot of cool stuff, but I guess it might have damaged my disbelief suspenders a bit in how over the top things went sometimes.
It seemed to me as if Wick didn't shake off that much damage in the previous movies.
He must have gotten more hit points, and I think he also has a pretty big Resist Bludgeoning Resistance (his Piercing and Slashing resistances are not as good).
I think there was some, "It can't get more, can it? Yes, it can. It can get so, so much more" going on.

Which can either be appealing, or not. Personally, I like the direction of the movies to date; it's stripping action to the core.

Mustrum_Ridcully

Adventurer
I think there was some, "It can't get more, can it? Yes, it can. It can get so, so much more" going on.

Which can either be appealing, or not. Personally, I like the direction of the movies to date; it's stripping action to the core.
I guess John Wick and Crank are the closest we got so far to this:

Maybe after I "re-adjust" my expectations, I will enjoy the series going further into that direction. Or maybe I have to realize the idea is better in comic than actually executed cinema. :)

lowkey13

I guess John Wick and Crank are the closest we got so far to this:

Maybe after I "re-adjust" my expectations, I will enjoy the series going further into that direction. Or maybe I have to realize the idea is better in comic than actually executed cinema. :)

Oh, c'mon.

Crank: High Voltage. HE WAS DEAD .... BUT HE GOT BETTER.

I mean, the only thing that could possibly be better than a sequel to Crank:HV would be some sort of Chev Chelios / John Wick crossover.

.... That's right. Do you know about those old video games? Where you'd score so high you could flip the score right over and go back to zero?

Well, this crossover is so stupid, it goes right around to being brilliant. The more you think about it, the more you want it.

I was thinking Crank 3 would link his heart to his social media account. He's wearing a go-pro, and his heart only beats whenever he gets a Like in the last 60 seconds.

lowkey13

I was thinking Crank 3 would link his heart to his social media account. He's wearing a go-pro, and his heart only beats whenever he gets a Like in the last 60 seconds.
Oh.

Wow.

I HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT YOUR TICKETS!!!!!!

Crank 3: Not even death can stop him from trolling.

Legatus_Legionis

< BLAH HA Ha ha >
1. Did you see John Wick? ... ... If no, go to 2.

No, I have not.

2. Why haven't you seen it? It's so very awesome. Go see it now, and then go to 1.

The film just never interested me. The only way I would see it is if I am stuck at someone else's house, and they play the DVD (and I did not excuse myself before then).

Guess I will stay at #2. :p

Advertisement