Joining a new group

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
I'm joining a group of strangers tonight to play D&D. If I never post again, you'll know I'm locked in someone's basement. If my next post has tons of spelling errors, it's because I'm tied up and managed to struggle my way to a computer and post with my nose. :)

I worry that it might be a slightly munchkin game, since he told me to roll d10+10 for stats. Then again, maybe it'll be fun. Anyways, wish me luck.

Anyone have any new-group horror stories?

Dimenhydrinate

First Post
new group? oh boy

My worst new group experience included the sterotypical fat greasy guy. He wanted to play a bard. I said ok just do me a favor please? STOP CALLING IT A BARB!!!! I gotta tell you it was down hill from there. The mage who yelled BOOM after every fireball he launched (and he had a wand). Played with them ONCE!

hellbender

First Post
MeepoTheMighty said:
I'm joining a group of strangers tonight to play D&D. If I never post again, you'll know I'm locked in someone's basement. If my next post has tons of spelling errors, it's because I'm tied up and managed to struggle my way to a computer and post with my nose. :)

I worry that it might be a slightly munchkin game, since he told me to roll d10+10 for stats. Then again, maybe it'll be fun. Anyways, wish me luck.

Anyone have any new-group horror stories?

It was nice knowing you, Meepo. I snagged a good quote from you in the past. You need to understand that sometimes DM's need to use nefarious methods to get players.

"Bring out the Kobold!" The DM will shout on gaming day.

Good luck with your new life.

hellbender

For I second I thought you might be the new guy joining our game today, but I don't think our DM told the guy to roll stats like that and you are in Battle Creek, not California. Plus I believe you are probably older than this guy. I was at a local shop flipping through Dungeon magazine and out of nowhere this guy swooped down on me and started rapid fire questions. It was like he was a drowning man and I was throwing him a lifeline.

We figure we'll give him a chance but in 2 days he's called the DM about 6 or 7 times, we kinda think he might be too immature to play with our group.

Last edited:

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
enworldatemylogin said:
For I second I thought you might be the new guy joining our game today, but I don't think our DM told the guy to roll stats like that and you are in Battle Creek, not California. Plus I believe you are probably older than this guy. I was at a local shop flipping through Dungeon magazine and out of nowhere this guy swooped down on me and started rapid fire questions. It was like he was a drowning man and I was throwing him a lifeline.

We figure we'll give him a chance but in 2 days he's called the DM about 6 or 7 times, we kinda think he might be too immature to play with our group.

Oddly, I've almost never run into the stereotypical "nerdy-know-it-all-talking-about-his-character" guy. Then again, I get the impression that I'm about the only who frequents the FLGS for anything besides comics and hero clix.

JoeGKushner

First Post
One thing I like about new groups is that I'll usually click with at least two or three people and if the game doesn't go anywhere, I have more people I can contact for my own games.

New group horror stories, huh?

After one group I was in disolved, I decided to run a game for a couple of the members of that group, plus 2 other guys I had corresponded with by email, whose names I got off the "Games Wanted" board at my FLGS. We decided to meet at the store, and play there after the closed at 7pm, as one of the guys worked there. Everyone showed up, introductions were made, and we sat down to start. About 20 minutes later, some guy starts banging on the door, putting a character sheet up against the window. We opened the door and said "Sorry, store's closed." "But I'm supposed to be playing in the D&D game!" he shouted, and looked like he was going to cry. I had no idea who he was, or how he found out about the game, since it was a private group not an open game. When I told him we were not an open game, and everyone who was invited was already there, he replyed with "The store manager told me you played tonight, and that I should tell you he said I could play." and walked in and sat down. For some reason, I knew that the game was about to die, and that he was determined to sit there no matter what. We played, and we all tried to teach him how to play the game, since he obviously had never played before. (Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but he was uninvited and was making a scene every time things didn't go his way). After an hour or two, the game just died, and we never played again. And I blame it all on that guy, whomever he was. But on a positive note, I ended up playing in a game a few months later with one of the other guys from that ill-fated group, and we've got a good game and friendship going strong after 3+ years.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Reality is stranger than fiction....

I hate to admit it but I had gotten into a game like 6 years ago. the DM was married to one of the players. The rest of the players seemed... Well kind of strange. But I had to take what I could get. anyway after a month of playing the DM started calling me and bumming rides to and from his job. Now I'm a sweet guy and even though it was WAYYYY out of my way I was glad to help.
We would be riding and He would ask me about my life, It seemed he was very curious about Homosexuality. But he wasn't setting off my "gaydar" so I just answered his questions. The last few times I picked him up he would sit as close to me as he could, a bit uncomfortable but I could cope and thought well he's tired.

Eventualy I was not called to the games. No one would talk to me and I thought it very strange seeing as I did nothing to deserve it. Well one day at Church His wife shows up and lets me know that her Husband left her for me.
Totaly agast I said that I had no idea he liked me in that way and did nothing to attract him in any way. Unfortunatly the fact that I was "just his type" was enough. It wound up that he ran off with a guy that looked like me and they are living in CO.

Always nice to have a game break up over you....Wait no it isn't.:mad:

Well, I just got back from this session. I had fun, but not as much as usual and the stick figure theater the host gave me did a lot to express his feelings on the new guy. It was a simple drawing of a big guy with a bigger club smacking me over the head.

Granted, this was a weird experience, he was a COMPLETE stranger, who ended up at the hosts place early and waiting for the rest of us to show up. Over an hour of awkward who knows what. Then the first time we crack a joke, which is normal for this group, his laugh booms through the room and he spits on the deviled eggs the host's wife made.

Of course, I should have listened to the warning bells that went off when I met him.

Remove ads