It's Not Easy to Find a Gaming Group

Moonmover

Explorer
Remember, three people is enough to play! Maybe even two. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

What has worked for me is, invite two people you actually know and like. Then, play with them in public. Game stores are most ideal here. What you'll find happening is that people will see you play, get curious, and then you can invite them to join.

Also, find locale Facebook and Discord groups and post about your game there. Yes, Discord groups. It seems like most FLGS have their own, now, and that's a wonderful resource.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Yeah, it’s tough out there for face-to-face games.

It’s not ideal, but playing over Zoom or with a VTT is a good option. It’s not the same as face-to-face, of course. But it’s better than not playing. You can also cast a wider net for potential players…including those who are moving away. Playing at odd hours on the weekend to keep the group together can be a bit annoying at times, but it keeps the group together. Or find a few new players in closer timezones to play at better times.

I can respect people who say they will never game face to face again, but it isn’t for me. I hope to never play (unless I’m getting paid) online ever again. Some can experience social validation and engagement through a zoom game or whatever, but I can’t. I find my online games, my players, less creative, less exciting, less alive. This is just my experience, others clearly have had better experiences than I have. But my love for face to face, around a table, gaming abides true. And when I move in a few months, I’m gonna do my damndest to get me a working game group haha
Social validation and engagement?

I don't bother with video, just audio. And Roll20, of course.

Yeah, it’s tough out there for face-to-face games.

It’s not ideal, but playing over Zoom or with a VTT is a good option. It’s not the same as face-to-face, of course. But it’s better than not playing. You can also cast a wider net for potential players…including those who are moving away. Playing at odd hours on the weekend to keep the group together can be a bit annoying at times, but it keeps the group together. Or find a few new players in closer timezones to play at better times.
I don't bother with video, just audio and Roll20. My players are not the sort I want to waste bandwidth looking at. ;)

I vastly prefer online, because it cuts out a huge amount of the small talk that a F2F group gets distracted by.

Since I went online, it generally takes 72 hours or less to fill a seat with a committed, quality player (and my vetting process is extensive).

Online rules!

Before that, trying to fill seats was the bane of the hobby for me.
Out of curiosity, what is your vetting process?

An interview process to establish whether the applicant is the right sort, has compatible expectations and attitudes, and understands the expectations. I put a lot of the points in the blub I post on Reddit and Roll20 when seeking a new player, which cuts down on the actual process.

And being online, there's a lot of table rules that no longer apply.

Hussar

Legend

I’m not Jd, but my advice is:

1. Be absolutely crystal clear about expectations and enforce them. If players being late bothers you, tell new players they get x warnings and then the boot and stick to that.

2. Do not compromise anything you are not 100% on board with. And, again be firm about it.

It’s better to be really strict at the outset then relax.

Remove ads