• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just how desperate are you?

Agamon

Adventurer
If you're not playing with friends, then I don't see what's wrong with it. It covers the cost of the food, and honestly, prepping the game is work. Most of us do it gladly (some begrudgingly, I guess) to play the game, but it's cheap entertainment.

However, though I'll glad prep a game for free, I'd rather not charge the pittance of $10/person and instead have the players bring their own snacks and drinks. Buying for and setting up a meal takes time that $10 a person isn't worth to me.

Treebore

First Post
IF its good snacks, and drinks, and a well cooked dinner, $10 is a deal, especially if it is a good group too. Food/snacks have always been a part of every group I have played with, and just showing up and handing over $10 for good food, snacks, and drinks? Good deal! Saves me the time of going to get such things for myself.

Kinneus

Explorer
I'm fairly desperate. I'd probably go for this if:
A) The guy was a good DM, and I honestly had a good time
B) I wasn't a ridiculously poor college student, and I could actually afford to spend $10 a week.

MadMaxim

First Post
To answer Kzach's original question I'd say I've gone to some lengths to be in a game, but that has mostly been putting up with people I didn't really like very much on a personal level (they'd probably say the same thing about me, but there you go...) and had decent games. I know that life's too short to play bad games, but the ones I were in usually went south because of persons' views clashing between sessions. There have never been any rudeness (at least not directly) or outbursts during game sessions which is nice in a way, but still... I got kicked out of my last group over some perceived rudeness towards the DM's fiancé, because I spoke my mind about her behavior and the way she acted when we were playing. She asked (and was very persistent even though we had agreed to let it go) and I gave her my honest opinion. That cost me my spot in the group, but that has given me a chance to try out 4th edition with my brother-in-law and one of the other guys from the group I got kicked out off, so it's not all bad. When life gives you lemons and all that :)

aboyd

Explorer
Hmm. I believe that DunDraCon is being advertised here on En World, and that's $40 for a day of gaming, or $50 for a weekend. Since most games listed are 8 hours long, a person getting the single day rate will likely pay $40 for one game... or $20 per game if he/she is a glutton for a back-to-back 16-hour marathon.

Apparently, 1000+ people will show up for these games.

So I'd say $10 for food & a game is a reasonable deal. I'd do it without thinking.

Jack99

Adventurer
Not desperate at all. I have had the same group since 89, and I have known the guys much longer. To be honest, I doubt I would be playing if the group broke up. Would I miss it? Sure. But to play with strangers? I doubt it.

Imperialus

Explorer
My group (of 4 players) used to pay 10 dollars each week (DM was exempt) into a group food fund. 40 bucks paid for 2 frozen pizza's, a big Costco bag of no name chips and a couple two liter bottles of pop. Every few weeks we'd have enough left over to order delivery instead.

mac1504

Explorer
Not desperate at all. I have had the same group since 89, and I have known the guys much longer. To be honest, I doubt I would be playing if the group broke up. Would I miss it? Sure. But to play with strangers? I doubt it.

Shortly after I got out of the Army, I reformed a D&D group with some old friends (high-school, and some from before even that) and we started a 3e campaign when that edition first came out. Unfortunately one of our friends passed away, and no had the heart to play after that.

After awhile, I was really eager to start playing again. So, I started looking around (Enworld, game shops, etc.) and tried out a few groups that were complete strangers to me. The first two groups didn't work out, but the last one I played with, ended up being a great group. That was nearly seven years ago, and I am still playing with that same group. They are now good friends, and although we don't get together too often outside of D&D, we all get along and have a great time at the table. They even kick in generous amounts of money to my mini collection habit, as they feel that it benefits the group as well!

So, before you write off playing with strangers (even in an unlikely event of an old group breaking up), think about the possibilities of new friendships and experiences you may miss.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads