• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just saw RotJ Spec. Ed. on DVD for the first time...

theburningman

First Post
...and I was just wondering why Lucas changed the Force ghost of Anakin at the end to the younger version.

I had heard the rumors of the change months ago, and I thought that perhaps in RotS we would find out a reason for it. I know that almost none of his changes make any sense (Greedo shooting first and all that), but this one in particular has me stumped. Of course it is a visual way to tie Episodes 4-6 in to Episodes 1-3, but I can find no other reason.

Any apologists out there who can come up with a good excuse?

Captain Howdy

Explorer
I think it was because he was 'forgiven' in the end. The age that he appears to be as a ghost is the last time you see him before he turns to the dark side. I think since he came back to the light, or whatever, he appeared as his true uncorrupted self as a ghost.
I guess what I'm saying is that had Anakin turned to the dark side when he was 8 years old, but returned to the light side just before he died when he was 50 ish, then his ghost would still look like an 8 year old...
I hope that makes sense. It does to me, but I still think that Sebastian Shaw got shafted when they replaced him with Hayden.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Captain Howdy said:
I think it was because he was 'forgiven' in the end. The age that he appears to be as a ghost is the last time you see him before he turns to the dark side. I think since he came back to the light, or whatever, he appeared as his true uncorrupted self as a ghost.
I guess what I'm saying is that had Anakin turned to the dark side when he was 8 years old, but returned to the light side just before he died when he was 50 ish, then his ghost would still look like an 8 year old...
I hope that makes sense. It does to me, but I still think that Sebastian Shaw got shafted when they replaced him with Hayden.

I agree with you on all counts and poor Sebastian Shaw did get screwed.

Villano

First Post
I have a question about the new special edition. A couple weeks ago, they ran the first (pre-prequel) special edition ROtJ on TV. One of the wierd things I noticed was that, in some of the scenes with the Emperor, there was a strange, black blob on the right side of his face. It looks like an attempt to cover something up (perhaps the make-up came loose or something?). His face is surrounded by shadow because of his hood, but the blob stands out like someone scribble it in with black marker on the film.

When I saw it, I wondered why Lucas would take the time to put in a CG Jabba and other big things but not fix something like this.

Anyway, I was wondering if the black blob is still there, or did they finally fix it?

Captain Howdy

Explorer
I know the blob you are talking about. And, as far as I can remember, they didn't clean it up for the dvd's. I'll have to go back and watch it again, but I'm pretty sure the spot is still there. :\

Attachments

• return.jpg
    return.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 249

The_lurkeR

First Post
I agree... this was definately one of the lamest changes. I was rather upset when they were released on DVD and Lucas promised the true originals will never be released on DVD.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Count me as somebody who liked the young Anakin Jedi Spirit being inserted into RotJ special edition. After seeing Revenge of the Sith, I thought that seeing Anakin's spirit appearing exactly as he looked before falling to the dark side was a nice touch. :)

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Dark Jezter said:
Count me as somebody who liked the young Anakin Jedi Spirit being inserted into RotJ special edition. After seeing Revenge of the Sith, I thought that seeing Anakin's spirit appearing exactly as he looked before falling to the dark side was a nice touch. :)
One of my favorite changes as well.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Dark Jezter said:
After seeing Revenge of the Sith, I thought that seeing Anakin's spirit appearing exactly as he looked before falling to the dark side was a nice touch.
I'm not too sure about how I feel yet. But another thing I considered is that it is exactly as he looked before he got chopped up and toasted crispy. In other words... with an intact body.

Klaus

First Post
I think it was very unfair to poor Sebastian Shaw.

And didn't Anakin redeem himself when he slam-dunked the Emperor? He must have lived for about 10 minutes back in the light side of the Force...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads