KidCthulhu's Scarred Land story hour

Morgaine

First Post
Iron Chef BBQ said:

I think the quote was, "I don't know where I got it (the tattoo), but I know who picked it out!" And the flowers are violets, for those who are interested.

Just to clarify, Marja is a Sorcoress so doesn't 'prepare' spells, as such, but since she got no sleep the night before, she had no energy to 'recharge' her spell slots.

Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes I lose details. And thanks for the bump, Kosh.

I've been away and went through a little creative drought (spelling?) recently so I've not had much luck with the writing. I should have something for tonight or tomorrow, though, and I appreciate all of your patience. And all of you reading it.

--M

Aravis

First Post
Kosh said:
You're welcome...

Have you all stopped playing?...

Hi Kosh,

No, we have not stopped. In fact, tonight when we play KidC will take over the run and PC will be playing a new character. Things have been really busy with Morgaine lately. Given the choice of having her be at the game and having her post here, I am afraid that I have to go with having her at the game. *grin*

I would expect that as things settle down a bit for her we will see more posts. We have been doing some pretty cool stuff...

-- Aravis

Jobu

First Post
We just finished our first KidC run game. We had a bad priest, a dead kid, a new PC played by PC, and lots of Ale; what more could you want from a gaming session..

Morgaine

First Post
<Pokes head in...looks around> Wow, it's good to see things haven't changed in here.

Thank you all for being patient for so long. I've been extremely busy with life and haven't had time to write or post in ages. I thought that once I was done with school I'd have more time but it turns out that this full-time job thing is a lot of work. Who knew? And with the wedding in two months things have been hectic. But I haven't forgotten about you....I have written up the next few games in the sequence (we're still about 8-9 games behind the current game) and will try to post them in rapid succession over the next week or so. I've also asked for help from Marja's player so I won't be so overwhelmed. Thanks again for bearing with me.

Happy reading.

--M

Morgaine

First Post
The group has spent the last thirty minutes making vain attempts to look presentable but the dust and grime from travel and battle tenaciously clings to their clothes and hair. They are waiting with some trepidation in Lord Wyndhill’s sitting room in tense silence. The walls are adorned with ornately framed portraits of ruddy noble men and women, presumably related to Kel. A large fireplace occupies the far wall, though with the warmth of the day, no fire is lit. The décor of the large room is tasteful but sparse, giving the impression that the lord places a great deal more emphasis on function than style.

“Where’s that milksop nephew of mine?” booms a thunderous voice from somewhere deep inside the manor. Seconds later, a large, burly man in a long purple cloak bursts into the room and embraces Kel in a giant bear hug.

“Kel, my boy, good to see you! Did they make you a sissy at that church?”

Lord Wyndhill is an imposing figure, his towering height matched only by his impressive girth. He has a neatly trimmed, bristly beard and close-cropped hair of the same salt and pepper gray. His very commanding presence demands respect and he gives the impression of one who is used to others doing his bidding.

Kel politely replies that he studied fighting as well as clerical works, which seems to appease Duncan considerably; he claps Kel on the back violently,

“Good to hear, boy. A good sword and a strong arm can get you far. Not to be rude or anything but why the hell are you here?”

Kel informs his uncle that he and the others fear Gobrey is in danger. Duncan is not surprised to learn this and asks everyone back into his conference room where they can talk privately. He strides away purposefully and the group hurries to catch up.

The room is dark, with rich mahogany furniture. The drapes are lush, velvet hunter green and the air is thick with the sweet scent of pipe weed. After brief introductions, Duncan gestures to the group to sit. Borin sits in the large wing back chair in the center of room that obviously belongs to the Lord, who startles to see someone with the audacity to affront him. After a brief pause, Duncan laughs heartily and acknowledges the dwarf’s pluck then takes another seat nearby.

“What’s this about my son? Run in with a bad crowd, has he? I knew that woman was no good. I could use a drink, anybody else?”

When several party members agree enthusiastically, Duncan bellows to a fidgety, nervous looking servant who startles noticeably

“Cringe, we need ale!”
“Yye..yes sir, right away sir.”

In moments, Cringe returns with tankards and ale in several pitchers. Marja gratefully accepts the first and takes a long draught from the tasty brew. Duncan looks obviously impressed.

They spend some time discussing Gobrey and their own unfortunate incarceration. Duncan frequently interjects with loud comments or advice after the fact. Twice Marja replies with witty comebacks that cause him to guffaw loudly. After the second such event, Duncan rounds on her and says,

“How’d you like to be my wife. I need a wife now and you’re pretty enough.”

Kesh

First Post
Very nice story! I just read the whole thing, and it was quite fun.

I especially liked the scene with the stream. ("The water's happy, man! It sings!" :D )

Keep 'em coming! I'd love to learn more about the characters and where the story leads. I've become interested in the Scarred Lands setting recently, and this just whets my appetite more.

Jobu

First Post
Kesh said:
....I'd love to learn more about the characters and where the story leads.

I think some of us still have our background stories hanging about somewhere if you're that interested. As for the Scarred Lands itself, we really have fun playing in a land ravaged by god wars. It's quite a world setting.

I don't think even we know where the story's heading...I can tell you that you will soon be reading of our adventures in another realm and our encounter with all sorts of creatures we were pretty sure were only imaginary. :eek:)

Thanks for the interest, though. It means a lot to know someone's reading.

Jobu

First Post
Marja deftly sidesteps his proposal, indicating she can’t commit to anything until this whole matter is resolved and her name is cleared. Duncan sees the wisdom of this and drops the subject for the time being.

Eventually, the group asks the Lord for a list of Gobrey’s friends. Once again he bellows to the timid Cringe who cries out and jumps forward. He provides the party with several names - Whimsy, Willenforce and Cotter. Both Kel and Morgaine recognize the latter two but no one knows the former. Duncan also indicates that he has business interests in Amalthea, a forge, and the group suspects this is the motive behind Cosette’s “attraction” to Gobrey.

“Kel, find my boy. Break this enchantment. Throw some money around and tell people you didn’t do what they said you did and I’ll back you up.”

Duncan offers to fund this bribing spree and then says he’ll write a letter of diplomatic immunity should they be caught by the guard again.

“Now, I’m hungry. It’s dinner time so you all go get washed up and meet me down here for dinner in an hour.”

They spend the evening eating a savory meal with more ale, mead and wine then retire to the study for after-dinner drinks and some entertainment courtesy of several local bards. Duncan once again proposes to Marja then tells her to think about his offer before answering and making a mistake. They retire to their rooms late in night.

Duncan is awake obnoxiously early and his booming voice quickly destroys any further hope of sleep for anyone within earshot - a full half the town. He greets Kel on the stairs and hands him several sacks of coins.

“Fifty pounds ought to be enough to bribe the right people, don’t you think?”

Deke is out of his room and on the landing before the money hits Kel’s hand and Borin charges up the stairs, bacon in hand. They revel in the sight of all that gold at their disposal.

After a hearty repast for breakfast, Cringe helps Marja write the diplomatic letter, Duncan signs it with his seal and offers them horses for their journey. Gemma, who healed the dog at the lodge, inquires after it, relieved to know it will survive. She asks the Lord for a pup, when she is done adventuring. He readily agrees and they bid him farewell. The party makes its way through the morning streets, en route to find Cotter, the moneylender’s son. They plan to change most of the gold into gems for easier travel and find information in the process.

Remove ads